The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Ford Performance 5.0L/5.2L GT500 Aluminum Oil Pan and Pump Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Here are the Teflon crank scrapers and windage tray:

Last edited:
TX
Well damn. Was there any explanation or reasoning for his judgement call? @Fabman, @honeybadger thoughts?
While we’ll need to wait until a motor refresh to be conclusive, there’s zero evidence so far that the GT500 oil pan, pickup, and oil pump is anything but stellar. Fitment for me was good, build quality was good, and I’ve seen no indicators of oil starvation. My oil pressure is rock solid and my accusump has yet to need to resupply with oil.

No complaints from me

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
While we’ll need to wait until a motor refresh to be conclusive, there’s zero evidence so far that the GT500 oil pan, pickup, and oil pump is anything but stellar. Fitment for me was good, build quality was good, and I’ve seen no indicators of oil starvation. My oil pressure is rock solid and my accusump has yet to need to resupply with oil.

No complaints from me
I have no knowledge to the contrary, please keep us all in the loop.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
While my decision wasn’t based solely on cost, the value of the GT500 kit is pretty incredible - Blue Oval Industries was $699 freight free. The oil pressures reported on the GT500 production cars, as well as guys that are running this kit are almost unbelievably high - which is a great thing for an engine that relies on oil pressure for accurate timing. So it really wasn’t just about the pan alone - the GT500 high output pump/pickup is a nice upgrade. I would argue a better upgrade than the boundary gear setup in a standard size pump housing. Time will tell, but I think @steveespo and @honeybadger have a head start on proving this setup worthy for hardcore track use.

To @Fabman points above - the sum of the parts is what makes a bulletproof system. I’m copying his setup to a T with the Setrab 948 cooler, remote mount filter, 12an lines throughout and the Teflon crank scraper. The cost differential between the FP350s setup and the GT500 pan paid for all of the other components.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
double post

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fab has quite the thread, I'm 50 pages in looking for some incite on the SLA suspension he has, haven't found it.....yet.

You're getting close.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Haha, I`m still crawling that thread. 140 pages are no joke.

So, I got two options now. Both are inbound, one will go back. Performance wise it seams to be a bit of a toss the way it`s looking like. Due to time restraints I gravitate to the FP350S.

FP350S oilpan with the Gen3 pick up tube that maintains my billet gear oil pump. More expensive but less of a headache to install.
M-6675-M52RR. M-6622-M52RR

Or the GT500 kit which requires an oil pump replacement which again is a bunch more work but is cheaper on the parts side.
M-6675-M52S

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

So, I got two options now. Both are inbound, one will go back. Performance wise it seams to be a bit of a toss the way it`s looking like. Due to time restraints I gravitate to the FP350S.

FP350S oilpan with the Gen3 pick up tube that maintains my billet gear oil pump. More expensive but less of a headache to install.

Or the GT500 kit which requires an oil pump replacement which again is a bunch more work but is cheaper on the parts side.
M-6675-M52S
Well, you can’t say I’m hiding anything…..

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal

M-6675-M52S
Possibly the M-6622-M52RR pickup tube would work with the GT500 pan?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Bad news. The Gen3 pickup tube M-6622-M52RR does not work with the GT500 oil pan. There are some baffle winglets inside the pan that are in the way of the tube. These winglets are not present in the FP350S pan. The Gen3 tube is also long enough to hit the bottom of the GT500 pan.

GT500 tube in GT500 pan:
IMG_4969.jpeg

Gen3 tube in GT500 pan:
IMG_4971.jpeg

Referencing the mounting bracket, both tubes come in at completely different angles on all axis.
IMG_4973.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Bad news. The Gen3 pickup tube M-6622-M52RR does not work with the GT500 oil pan. There are some baffle winglets inside the pan that are in the way of the tube. These winglets are not present in the FP350S pan. The Gen3 tube is also long enough to hit the bottom of the GT500 pan.

GT500 tube in GT500 pan:
View attachment 71411

Gen3 tube in GT500 pan:
View attachment 71412

Referencing the mounting bracket, both tubes come in at completely different angles on all axis.
View attachment 71413
That GT500 pan looks pretty sweet actually.
I'd still prefer the FP350 but that GT500 pan looks like a good alternative if you have the right pump/pickup combo and you're changing the pump anyway, but doing it in the car is another level of complexity so the FP350 pan likely wins out in that case. But again, I am impressed with the GT500 pan, I didn't expect it to look this good.
(from what I can see here anyways)
The welding on the pickups is MUCH better than the one I received, so that's good news as well.
Keep us in the loop.

**Disclaimer:
(I am not a professional motor builder so my opinion here is just that....my opinion. Your mileage may vary)

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
That GT500 pan looks pretty sweet actually.
I'd still prefer the FP350 but that GT500 pan looks like a good alternative if you have the right pump/pickup combo and you're changing the pump anyway, but doing it in the car is another level of complexity so the FP350 pan likely wins out in that case. But again, I am impressed with the GT500 pan, I didn't expect it to look this good.
(from what I can see here anyways)
The welding on the pickups is MUCH better than the one I received, so that's good news as well.
Keep us in the loop.

**Disclaimer:
(I am not a professional motor builder so my opinion here is just that....my opinion. Your mileage may vary)

It´s a very nice kit and comes with all the bells and whistles aside of billet gears. If you got your stock motor out of the car and are in for an overhaul I think this is the one to get.
I got to choose now between swapping my billet oil pump or going for the FP350S pan.

Sal, do you know if the FP350S clears the stock k-member?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It´s a very nice kit and comes with all the bells and whistles aside of billet gears. If you got your stock motor out of the car and are in for an overhaul I think this is the one to get.
I got to choose now between swapping my billet oil pump or going for the FP350S pan.

Sal, do you know if the FP350S clears the stock k-member?
Yes it was designed for the Boss 302 with stock cross member so you should be good to go.

Exp. Type
HPDE
CT
I'd be interested in knowing what some of you are seeing for oil pressure after installing this kit. I just got done installing it along with the boundary opg and am getting really high oil pressure. On cold start I am seeing about 110 psi and then it drops to around 90 at idle, haven't run it for more than a few minutes so not sure if it would drop more when engine is warm. I installed an oil pressure gauge at the same time so unfortunately I don't have a baseline of what my oil pressure was before. It's on a gen 1 coyote with mishimoto sandwich plate to setrab 948 and reading oil pressure off a glowshift adapter that tees into the factory oil pressure location.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I'd be interested in knowing what some of you are seeing for oil pressure after installing this kit. I just got done installing it along with the boundary opg and am getting really high oil pressure. On cold start I am seeing about 110 psi and then it drops to around 90 at idle, haven't run it for more than a few minutes so not sure if it would drop more when engine is warm. I installed an oil pressure gauge at the same time so unfortunately I don't have a baseline of what my oil pressure was before. It's on a gen 1 coyote with mishimoto sandwich plate to setrab 948 and reading oil pressure off a glowshift adapter that tees into the factory oil pressure location.
That's considered a very good thing. My GT350 and racecar both have similar cold pressures on 5w50 (they both use the GT350 pumps with a 125psi bypass). Warm/hot oil pressure should be around 35-40psi at idle. Coming off track really hot can be lower, but it should be able to build 80psi under load in most/all conditions

NJ
Reading through this thread had me curious. I'm currently running the Moroso pan as it was the best option I could find at that time (2016). Any inherit issues with this pan others experienced and would like to share? Obviously a high pressure pump would be nice and possibly a necessary upgrade at some point.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az

GT500 tube in GT500 pan:
View attachment 71411

Gen3 tube in GT500 pan:
View attachment 71412

View attachment 71413
Damn, one thing I was considering was to use the GT500 pump with the FP350S pan - but I'm not sure either pickup tube would work in that combination (either the GT500 pickup tube, or the M-6625-M50RR pickup tube), and abandon the M-6625-M52RR pickup tube I've spent so much time modifying and the GT350 pump housing.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Damn, one thing I was considering was to use the GT500 pump with the FP350S pan - but I'm not sure either pickup tube would work in that combination (either the GT500 pickup tube, or the M-6625-M50RR pickup tube), and abandon the M-6625-M52RR pickup tube I've spent so much time modifying and the GT350 pump housing.
The GT500 pump has a larger diameter discharge than the standard pumps. I'm sure someone could pattern one after the FP350 pickup in the correct size tube. Honestly the 500 pan is probably just as good as the FP pan.

TMO Supporting Vendors