The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Fox Body forum for track-focused Mustang enthusiasts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cool to see a Dominator on the site, and she was a desirable sleeper machine in the Midwest in the 80s. Was down the road in Salina, Ks. back in 85, and the Salina Region of the SCCA held the Solo II Nationals around then and I can remember a guy showing up with a Dominator for a local event . He did exactly that to the others in the F Stock Class , and it helped that back then we had all of the old Municipal Airport to run, and his power was noticeable. Granted the power then is world's apart from now, but one has to compare to other vehicles during the 80s. Thanks for posting Black Beauty!

Note: At the time ( 1985 ) the Salina Region was actually a Chapter of the Wichita Region SCCA and the Solo II Nationals are now called the Solo Nationals. In addition the old Pony Class of F Stock is now called F Street, and unlike other classes they still correlate to primarily Pony cars or Bimmers.

Thanks Bill! They didn't have a lot of adds for the package, but it was enough to separate them from the standard car. Hooker Super Comp headers, Ram Air, Ford Motorsport/MSD ignition, and a 140 speedo. They had a pretty cool advertising campaign as well. This is my second Dominator. I owned one in the early 90s as well. It was also a black T-Top car with the same options. Oddly enough, it was 2 digits different than the VIN on this one! Here is a picture of it and then what the person I sold it to did to it:

Original Dominator 3.jpg

Original Dominator 4.jpg

Original Dominator 6.jpg

Yep, I try to get NASA twice and PCA twice at Heartland Park every year. Didn't work out that well last year though. I made PCA in June and blew up my clutch. Tried to make NASA in October but had a covid exposure so we had to quarantine until we got negative results the day after the event! This year I'm planning to be out there plenty. I typically pit with/hang out with the Rennsport KC crew.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
That was what I thought , Karl has worked on my car and he knows Mustangs as well as he knows Porsches. Of course , being the Crew Chief for PF Racing in IMSA and World Challenger does not hurt.

Excited that we may be able to run at the new Ozark International Raceway the Pesek Family ( PF Racing ) is building with the Central NASA Region this Summer or Fall?

Yes, I think we're all looking forward to the Ozark track! We did a private track day last spring at Hallet with the PF group. I got to see those pink cars (one was actually part orange/part white after being repaired from "rubbin") go around me many times that day! It was a pretty impressive sight, really.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Now those are some good friends to have !!!! Their GT4 Mustangs are really quick and it was fun to watch them rip around Heartland Motorsports Park in 2019, and I can not wait to see them at full chat at their new course near Lake of the Ozarks. Have to imagine that will be a " Bucket List " track for a ton of us in a very short period of time?!

Last edited:
FWIW back in the 80s we did some autocrosses with those T top cars, a buddy drove it and I rode shotgun, I would place my fingers in the separations between the T tops and the body and could actually feel the panels move. We used to remove those panels for autocrossing since it was top side weight, but after that we left them in because it added some rigidity

Yes, the Fox Bodies weren't much known for rigidity! Hell, even the solid roof cars twisted a lot. You could always tell the guys that were putting down some power. Lots of warpage in the sail panels (C-Pillars) at the roof to body joint. You can't hardly use a jack on a T-Top car. Try jacking up one end and then opening the doors 😰

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
Ok, gather round…I need some opinions.
I have a ‘90 hatch drag car that I don’t drive since I got Hooked on tracking with my ‘15.
It’s a super clean nice car, But too far from a street car to turn back.
(Full cage, pro built BBF 460 with a c6. Scott Rod aluminum interior. Kirkey seats, harnesses, 4 link, coil-overs, fuel cell… bla bla)
I’m pondering making an auto-x or maybe CAM-T, CMC, Something like that. What do you guys think? Is it worth the work?
My big concerns are the heavy 460, auto trans and manual rack.
I don’t mind doing the work to put in a SB and power steering. Sourcing all the parts to go manual trans would suck.
But do you guys think this a… “it’ll be worth doing Cuz it already has a lot of work done“ (cage, 4 link coil-overs etc.) OR “probably never make a good track car anyway”
No opinion is wrong here. I just look at this car everyday and think it’s too nice to just sit around In my shop. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
👆 what he said. I've found that the novelty of building an older car to compete is fun and rewarding in a certain way, but it can be a lot of extra work and comes with more challenges. Going through the experience has a way of making you appreciate the simplicity of identifying a newer platform that is better suited out of the box. If you're up for the extra challenges, go for it. Fox bodies look great on the road course.

Niiice! An ’88 GT was my first car. It wasn’t pretty even then. LOL. But god, I loved that thing. And the number 225. The horsepower was outrageous, and those 225 Goodyears we all thought were just MASSIVE. 😜

TMO Supporting Vendors