The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New FR Shifter + Bracket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
Fixed the shifter today

I spent the afternoon working on my shifter, mainly to install the correct leather shifter boot. I watched some Barton shifter install videos for reference. I opened up the console and the first thing I did was remove the old boot and install the new on on the console cover. Of course 95% came off right away and the last couple of clips were a pain. I was patient so I would not damage the old one or break the tabs, and carefully using a little flathead screwdriver I removed the boot from the last tabs. The new one went on in a snap.

The second thing I wanted to check out was the dust boot around the base of the shifter. Reverse was really hard to get into and there was a lot of new NVH. So I pulled back the sound insulation and sure enough it did not look like the dust boot was on right - the top was up over the shifter and it did not look like it was seated properly at the base. After a couple of hours of fighting with it I got it in like in the installation video. Man, what a huge difference. Most of the increased NVH and exhaust sound is gone, getting into reverse is very easy like stock, and all of the shifting action is much smoother. I guess the tech got frustrated and put it on as best as he could - I will mention it to the dealer when I get my oil changed Friday. The shifter boot incompatibility was FRPP fault.

Here are some pictures - it looks really awesome now.

DSCN4024_zps68df3176.jpg

DSCN4027_zps696c84ec.jpg

DSCN4030_zps988f7de7.jpg

Who did you purchase the FR shift ball from and what is the part number?
I am not clear, will it fit the stock boss shifter?
Thanks

GA
BEARTRACKS said:
Who did you purchase the FR shift ball from and what is the part number?
I am not clear, will it fit the stock boss shifter?
Thanks

Thanks guys!

I bought the whole Ford Racing shifter and bracket (by Barton) # M-7210-MGTB. My GT came with the aluminum shift ball and it turns out that the shifter boot for that is different than the leather shift knob and is not compatible. I think the Boss uses the correct boot even though it has a shift ball since Darren installed his and it fit fine.

Rick has the part number for the ball itself, which will fit the Boss shifter (see previous posts).

Ken

I just installed the Ford Racing shifter and 2-post bracket and wanted to resurrect this thread to add a couple of things.

First, PJ's review is spot on (thanks for you review as it inspired me to to purchase and install this shifter), and second, Boss owners are going to have to purchase the BR3Z-7277-A shifter boot as PJ noted and as per the Ford Racing site. The new FR shift ball and adapter will not work with the Boss shift boot but you can use the stock Boss shift ball. I have ordered the BR3Z-7277-A and until it arrives I am using the stock shifter ball which fits perfectly. A couple of installation notes to consider:

I put the car on ramps in the front and jack stands in the rear. The install was very very easy. Follow the provided instructions and Barton and CJ Pony install videos for reference.

Don't be intimidated by the removal of the stock bracket. You don't need a pry bar or screwdriver to remove the assembly clip because it is made of a very thin foil-like material and will adjust its shape as you remove it. After removing the opposite side of the bracket from its post and pulling it off the shifter box, just pull straight down on the bracket and the clip deforms allowing quick removal. Piece of cake!

Install of the new bracket is even easier. No need to remove the driveshaft as there is plenty of room to work. Take your time tightening the bolts and don't over torque.

After the install but before placing the stock dust boot on I ran the new shifter though all the gears. Wow, loving it already! I noticed that getting in and out of reverse was a struggle but not impossible. The shifter spring is stronger than stock and the reverse lockout tab on the new shifter (mine was oriented correctly per the instructions but all 2013 owners have to check) was a very tight fit. It is made of a Delrin-type material so what I did was remove a slight amount of material and placed a very slight chamfer on the leading edge of the shifter's reverse lockout tab. A couple of scrubs with fine emery cloth did the job. I then added a generous amount of synthetic lube to the tab and the lockout window on the shifter box.

The most difficult part of the install was getting the stock dust boot to fit in the grooves of the new shifter and stock shifter box. I struggled for about half an hour but after spraying a bit of windex used as a lube (old mountain biking trick used to replace handlebar grips) the install was easier. Check, double check, and check again that you have the lower ring of the dust boot installed in the shifter groove and that of the shifter box. Use a bit of windex to help with sealing the boot to the frame as well. Additionally, the last boot seal is at the top of the shifter and it too must be seated in the groove at the top. The CJ Pony install video I believe does not show this so be careful to get yours in the top groove!!! Put the center console back together then go out and enjoy crisp and clean shifts!

There is a bit of increased noise in the cabin with this setup but it is not objectionable and should not hinder your decision to perform this upgrade. With windows closed you hear what I would describe are bearing noise from the transmission but with windows open you don't hear any of this.

Very happy I went this route and its a very easy installation. I'm now waiting for the correct shifter boot so I can enjoy this shifter with the intended Ford Racing shift ball. Thanks Sess and PJ for spearheading this project :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel