The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New goodyear DOT tire. An Hoosier challenger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
So any guesses? 3R full slick? Shame they've got SCCA contingency programs but not NASA.

sfo
priced like hoohoos so unless obviously faster who wants to do all that testing again? Not me!

I do not understand what's wrong with GY. They have in the past made dot-r and then never developed the market and went away. There are going to need to be benefits to get people to switch off hoohoos. But I would not mind seeing a price war to bring the tire costs down. We are getting killed out there.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I would be insterested to see if the 315’s would fit in a stock S197 wheel well.
From https://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Goodyear_Sports_Buyers_Guide.pdf (pg 8 - DOT Radial) for 315/30-18 on 11"
Avg. Dia.: 25.6, Section Width: 12.5, Tread Width: 12.4*, 26.2 lbs.
Hoosier A7 315/30-18 on 11"
Avg. Dia.: 25.6, Section Width: 12.5, Tread Width: 11.8*, 25.6 lbs.
*Note: Tire Rack has a specific methodology for measuring the tread width they publish. You can compare tread widths for tires that Tire Rack measures, but different manufacturers may use different methods for the numbers they publish. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=201

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Since all tires are not created equally. I would be insterested to see if the 315’s would fit in a stock S197 wheel well.

Hoosier 315/30R18 fit inside stock body work. Takes a little work up front and nothing in the back.
Also 295/30R18 on 10" wheels fit front and rear, no effort and rotatable with 40-43 mm offset. You give up about an inch of tire width but they are still damn fast and sticky.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The one thing that they might do is slow down the buyers for those Indiana tires ----HooHoos in 315/30/18s are $435 a donut , now!! At $379 , some folks will be willing to try the Goodies just to save a little moolah! Fan of A7s and R7s , but they have sure seen a very dramatic rise since boughti by Conti!

Pushing $224 a set savings will pique someone's interest.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
We are the Hoosier reps down here in Chile and the prices have gone up a lotdue to the rising prices in commodities like steel etc.... which I can believe it as steel prices have gone nuts recently. I just got offered a set of 300/680-18 Chinese slicks to try out for special price of US$900, pretty serious competition if they are half decent. Ha!! they can't be worse then the old Conti slicks!!

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
The one thing that they might do is slow down the buyers for those Indiana tires ----HooHoos in 315/30/18s are $435 a donut , now!! At $379 , some folks will be willing to try the Goodies just to save a little moolah! Fan of A7s and R7s , but they have sure seen a very dramatic rise since boughti by Conti!

Pushing $224 a set savings will pique someone's interest.

Yeah the cost of tires sucks. But handicapping your $30k, $50k or more racecar to save a couple hundred sucks worse.

Let me think about this..
Run the cheapos in practice,
Qualify on Hoosiers, (and to make sure your suspension changes work).
Run race 1 on scuff Hoosiers (qualies)
Run race 2 on Sticker Hoosiers.

Sell the Hoosiers, and buy another set of cheapos.. and 2 sets of Hoosiers
repeat for the next race.

If I figured this out right, you should get a "free" set of Hoosiers about every 4th or 5th race, as opposed to running all Hoosiers.
The cheapos are sacrificial.

there's a couple of caveats there, you will need to get your qualifying done in 4 laps, 1 out, 2 serious laps and a cool down/ check psi.
so don't piddle around, get it done.
and run the qualies in the longest of the 2 races since they are scuffs.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel