The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New GT350 is not a rumor!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://gt350mustangs.com/index.php?topic=54.new#new

Vermont
Speculation on engine and naturally aspirated vs. turbo/super charged?

Another hi performance model that Ford still has in reserve would be a new Boss 351, if they chose the 5.8L as the base engine.

7013Boss said:
Speculation on engine and naturally aspirated vs. turbo/super charged?

Another hi performance model that Ford still has in reserve would be a new Boss 351, if they chose the 5.8L as the base engine.
NA. Think about what engines are in the new Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet........the 5.0. I think the 5.4/5.8 are done in a Mustang.

The new chassis won't support the width of the 5.8 from what I've read. I'd be very surprised if it's not a forced induction 5.0 of some sort.

Vermont
Fat Boss said:
The new chassis won't support the width of the 5.8 from what I've read. I'd be very surprised if it's not a forced induction 5.0 of some sort.

The Boss 429 was too big for the '69 Mustang chassis but Ford sold 1356 Boss 429 Mustangs in '69 and '70. I know, different time, different situation (homologating the engine for NASCAR), and today conventional wisdom would say the 5.0 would go into a new GT350, but conventional wisdom doesn't always turn out to be what happens in the end.

NFSBOSS said:
NA. Think about what engines are in the new Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet........the 5.0. I think the 5.4/5.8 are done in a Mustang.

Maybe...........Maybe Not.............

Ford Mustang (2015) CAR inteviews the chief engineer

Q: Will there be a Shelby version of the latest Mustang? Can the 662bhp V8 from the outgoing GT500 fit?

A: The 5.8-litre supercharged engine? We’ve not excluded it from fitting. Modifications will have to be made, but will it go under the hood? Yes, it will…

read more here

Fords-chief-engineer-talks-2015-Mustang

Do you know how much work it would take to make the 5.4/5.8 make as much power as the new 5.0? Granted it should make more torque but the power level just wouldn't be there.

Sean said:
Do you know how much work it would take to make the 5.4/5.8 make as much power as the new 5.0?
Exactly, Ford is not going to put development work into a design that's going to be mothballed.

Ford has been so tight lipped about their development in recent years that the comment from the engineer is almost like a diversion. Other than maybe bringing back the GT500 with the current motor for a year or two that's it. Look for the GT350 to be a 520 HP 5.0, possibly with direct injection, with the CJ intake revving to 8,000 RPM's. You heard it here first. ;D

I tend to just read here and not reply but I ran across an article online, yes on the internet so take it with a grain of salt.
the source is of the info below from http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1087987_2015-ford-mustang-specs-leaked

Real performance freaks--and those with a little extra cash to burn--should wait for replacements for the Shelby GT500 and Boss 302. The former will be superseded by a GT350-badged model, and both are set to use versions of Ford's new "Voodoo" V-8, which is said to be twin-turbocharged in the Shelby and naturally-aspirated in the Boss. Peak outputs should register in the 500-600 horsepower range.

then mentioned the 4 cylinder followed by this;
That's at launch, at any rate--the GT-badged V-8 is expected to jump to 500 ponies a few months later.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Sean said:
Do you know how much work it would take to make the 5.4/5.8 make as much power as the new 5.0? Granted it should make more torque but the power level just wouldn't be there.

Supercharged Trinity 5.8 made 662 crank/603 RWHP, Supercharged 5.0 are advertised at between 545-585 crank HP for the various Ford Racing Kits. Why wouldn't a N/A Trinity not make 550 Crank/490 RWHP in EPA certified trim? The Trinity Heads are based on current Coyote/Boss tech, they are not a rehash of 5.4 heads. In reality the 5.8 shares the production tooling and layout of the 5.4 but is a much more refined engine than even the 2011-12 GT 500 or Ford GT engines.

I would love to see a Boss 351, the 1971 Boss 351 is the only real Boss I've ever owned!
Steve

Ford has moved on from the Trinity motor and I doubt we'll see it again (in a Mustang - maybe another Lightning?) with the possible exception of the 5.8 in a 2015/2016 GT500 that's a stop gap before we see the GT350, Mach 1 or whatever it's going to be called. Any new development is on the 5.0 and I'd bet the 5.0 CJ has similar HP as the S/C 5.8. I'm hoping for a TT 5.0. ;D

http://www.fordracingparts.com/cobrajet/

steveespo said:
Supercharged Trinity 5.8 made 662 crank/603 RWHP, Supercharged 5.0 are advertised at between 545-585 crank HP for the various Ford Racing Kits. Why wouldn't a N/A Trinity not make 550 Crank/490 RWHP in EPA certified trim? The Trinity Heads are based on current Coyote/Boss tech, they are not a rehash of 5.4 heads. In reality the 5.8 shares the production tooling and layout of the 5.4 but is a much more refined engine than even the 2011-12 GT 500 or Ford GT engines.

I would love to see a Boss 351, the 1971 Boss 351 is the only real Boss I've ever owned!
Steve

Even on all out N/A builds using a Big Bore Stroker and the 5.4 out of F150s the most I have ever seen them make N/A is 420-440 HP and that was on a seriously worked over motor. Custom Grind Cams, Stage 2 Heads (CNC'd Machined with oversized valves and the valves unshrouded which IIRC would flow more cfms then the Boss head, Custom JPC Intake Manifold with FRPP 62mm TB or the FRPP Intake Manifold with 62mm TB, Long Tubes, O/R cats, UDP's, I forget the CAI but I would guess either JLT 110mm or C&L racer. I believe the compression was bumped on Syder's build from the factory 9.8:1 with a coating on the pistons to dissipate heat. Granted Spyders was through an auto ( I forget what it was, possibly a 4R70 but I don't think it was a 5R55) but he had polished and REM treated Rear gears, the gears in the transmission I believe were also polished. I forget what converter he had in it though. German Shepards was through a manual I believe as well but I forget a lot about his build since he wasn't nearly as detailed as Spyder's was.

Now sure, Ford has SOOOO much more money and brains than we do and could probably make something work but the 5.4 was developed as a truck engine and not really geared towards a performance aspect. Sure Ford took the 5.4 architecture to the max with the 4V versions but I really don't believe it was intended for a high performance use. Don't get me wrong the engines that guys like Mihovetz and Jon Kasse and B.E.S. built this year are quite impressive but they are absolutely trick motors. It is just so much easier to make the power N/A out of the 5.0 than it is to make it out of the 5.4 4V. I know there are a couple of 5.4 4V N/A builds out there using the Boss manifold from Australia but they are very few and very far between and produce similar results to what the 5.0 can produce.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
steveespo said:

Steve

The FRPP S/C 5.0 is rated at 624 crank HP with the 8 PSI kit.

The trinity can't make 550 HP N/A. In simple terms, you need more bore for N/A HP and more stroke mostly gets you torque. With all the modular engines designed around 4" bore centers, I doubt there's a good way to get much more N/A HP.

Just got my April 2014 issue of Car & Driver with the "2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350"

Lots of speculation on page 60

"expect a version of the 5.0-liter V-8 that powers the Mustang GT. This engine might have a slightly larger displacement than the stock unit, and SVT is known to be working on a flat-plane crankshaft for the "Voodoo" engine. The lower rotating mass with such a setup should allow this V-8 to rev past 8000 rpm and deliver about 550 horsepower. We expect this engine to be mounted exclusively to a manual transmission and send its power through a limited-slip differential."

Also mentions an adjustable suspension and carbon ceramic brakes as possibilities

If this all turns out to be true, it might be time for me to stop buying things for the Boss... :)

VTBoss302 said:
Just got my April 2014 issue of Car & Driver with the "2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350"

Lots of speculation on page 60

"expect a version of the 5.0-liter V-8 that powers the Mustang GT. This engine might have a slightly larger displacement than the stock unit, and SVT is known to be working on a flat-plane crankshaft for the "Voodoo" engine. The lower rotating mass with such a setup should allow this V-8 to rev past 8000 rpm and deliver about 550 horsepower. We expect this engine to be mounted exclusively to a manual transmission and send its power through a limited-slip differential."

Also mentions an adjustable suspension and carbon ceramic brakes as possibilities

If this all turns out to be true, it might be time for me to stop buying things for the Boss... :)
I had the same thought, but instead put the GT500 up for sale. Since I'll just keep the GT350 stock, I'll keep modding the Boss.

TMO Supporting Vendors