The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New guy looking for a buyer's guide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intro time: I've been in the euro world forever but have always loved muscle cars. I've been tracking and racing BMWs for 11 years.

I'm looking for a daily (I say daily but it's more like 5-6k miles a year) that I can take to my bucket list tracks, throw out the spare and go run all weekend. I'm not going to mod (that slippery slope ends you up with a racecar, I know). I'm considering the Boss and the E9x M3, of course.

I've seen all the reviews. I think its a no-brainer, but I grew up in Detroit in the mid-late 80s and admit to still having a bit of "American cars are crap" fear.

So, I searched but didn't find a good "buyers guide" thread and was hoping to get some input on what to look for when buying these cars. Sounds like the only real options are Recaro/Torsen or no. Any others I should know about? How about things to look for during a test drive and PPI?

Thanks guys!

I was also looking for a car that I could DD and take it to the track, with minimum modifications. After reading both e9x and boss forums, seemed like both cars needed brake upgrades for tracking, which I somewhat expected because of the vehicle weights. I'm not sure about the e9x, but the boss also needs some cooling mods, depending on ambient temp, altitude, etc. So based on your tracking experience, I think you'd definitely need to make some minor modifications on either car for tracking purposes.

After factoring in maintenance costs, price of the car, and the aforementioned mods, the boss came out to be more affordable.

Are you going to be keeping the car for a while? the boss being a limited production car might hold its value a little better compared to the m3. although this is the last year V8 m3 as well... so, good luck with your choice! lol

Buy with confidence.. These cars are great! The biggest complaint seems to be the stock shifter (notchy). Some people have reported their cars burn a lot of oil but it seems to be pretty sparse and random. I believe some early build 2012's had some engine issue that led to a few of them going kaboom as well (while being tracked).

There are some slight differences aside from the cosmetics between the '12 and the '13 models as well. '13s come with SYNC and have the track apps screen. Also the fog lamp delete covers onthe grille are removable whereas on the 12's they are not. The skip shift function that many people hated on the 12s was eliminated on the 13's as well. Other than that the cars are the same. I have owned several Mustangs and this is the best one i have owned, perhaps the best car in general. It is not perfect but it is damn near close when you figure it can tangle with cars that cost twice as much. It is a very good value.

Thanks for the responses. Are there any other differences between 12 and 13 other than those above and cosmetic (louvers and stripes, right)? Is the track key an option and is it worth looking for? A lumpy idle in the paddock might be neat, but who cares if it doesn't add anything to the experience on track or street.

Brakes? What are those? I've been driving Spec Miatas and Spec E30s for too long!

cosm3os said:
Thanks for the responses. Are there any other differences between 12 and 13 other than those above and cosmetic (louvers and stripes, right)? Is the track key an option and is it worth looking for? A lumpy idle in the paddock might be neat, but who cares if it doesn't add anything to the experience on track or street.

Brakes? What are those? I've been driving Spec Miatas and Spec E30s for too long!

Neither come with louvers. Those are aftermarket additions. The Track Key changes more than the idle. In the 2012, it disables skip-shift (there is no skip-shift in the 2013). It increases engine braking, and basically changes the way the engine behaves.

I meant the hood vents.

So is the track key something you can add later, or did it have to be ordered from the factory to accept it? What's the cost to add?

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
I was cross shopping both the E9X M3 and the Boss prior to making a purchase. Same boat as you...5XXX miles a year...autox and track time were the target for the car. Not a DD by any means, but I do drive it on the street on weekends/fridays to work.

The two main factors that drove me to go with the Boss were upkeep costs as well as aftermarket support/cost. Now I know you're not planning to heavily modify the car, but even the incidentals like brake pads and other wear items were much cheaper.

Overall, in terms of performance I felt that the Boss (in stock form) had a more usable powerband and just felt more like a "track car". The M3 is a fantastic car, but it's really more of a dual purpose street/HPDE car, where I was looking for something to flog at the tracks on the weekends.

As far as advice for buying, there really aren't many options for the car...simply just the Recaro/Torsen package for both years (aside from the LS package).

On a side note, there was something intangible about the Boss that drew me to it. The sound, the look, and the exclusivity of the car just made me drool all over it in the showroom. I was definitely one of those that always thought that an American car could never make me feel like I do with this car. Everything that came along with it like the Owners Kit and the Track Attack just added to the experience. To be honest I was familiar with the original Boss 302, but it wasn't until I got this car that I really understood the history and why the Boss name was so special.

You will not be disappointed.

Great post. I currently "daily" a pristine, stock, low mile 99 M3. No track and one charity autox a year. I've decided its time to make that my garage queen, and it keeps me in touch with my euro peeps. I actually shopped cobra replicas to see if I could make one do "daily" duty but concluded that it would be like owning a harley as my family's second car!

So I figure . . . Cobra + M3 = Boss. Is my math correct?! ;)

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
cosm3os said:

The 13 does have vents on either side of the hood. Also led's on the front and HID headlights. Some easy upgrades to make these more track worthy is to upgrade brake pads and switch to DOT 4 brake fluid. I've also done the MGW shifter and beat shield. Also installed the tranny scoop and full suspension. Nice thing is.... There's plenty of aftermarket vendors to choose from.

The "Track Key" is just an ECM flash. You can order it from almost any Ford service center for $302.00 I don't remember if it is Levittown Ford or Tousley Ford but one of them has it for about $220.00.What you get is a code that the dealer you go to enters into the computer to get access to download and install the program into your cars computer.
It makes it so one key you use is just a normal key, and one key becomes the "Track Key" with the track key the computer changes something like 600 perameters like throttle response, engine braking, torque curve and a bunch more stuff.
If you are looking for more horsepower you will need an aftermarket tune. You can't run both.
And yes you can use the "Track Key" for every day driving, infact most people who have it recomend it.

One last area--PPI. Obviously these are 1-2 year old cars, and most with under 10k miles (why is that?), but is there anything I should be looking out for during a PPI and/or test drive?

cosm3os said:
One last area--PPI. Obviously these are 1-2 year old cars, and most with under 10k miles (why is that?), but is there anything I should be looking out for during a PPI and/or test drive?

Hi, welcome to the forum, are you back sateside for good or still working in Europe as this will affect the decision i would suggest

ian

ENGLAND

cosm3os said:

For many people the car is a track toy or weekend cruiser. The majority of these cars are not daily driven. Ive had my car for 14 months and have under 1500 miles on the clock. Its not that im intentionally trying to keep the miles low, but i dont drive it in the winter or in bad weather. Its just a weekend toy for me.

cosm3os said:

First, welcome to BMO! Glad you have you aboard.

Regarding PPI issues... other than the fairly common shifter, clutch and transmission issues already discussed, there is nothing really glaring that sticks out. Not yet, anyway, since the cars are still very new and long-term problems have yet to become evident. Coming to Bossland as I did from Porsche 911 World (had a '96 993 Carrera 2), the issues the Boss has are relatively minor compared to some P-cars. These are very robust, solid, stout cars.

The obvious things would be related to wear and tear on a car that has somewhat high miles for a one or two year old car, and/or one that has seen a lot of track time. Clutch, trans, brakes would be the primary areas of concern. Search out these topics on this forum and you'll see what all the issues are concerning these areas on the Boss.

The motors are very stout and basically trouble free (so far, except for a few earlier 2012 cars). Some owners have reported some moderate oil usage during the break in period, and a few have even reported having engines letting go and being replaced under warranty. But the vast majority it seems, like me, have had a virtually trouble-free experience thus far with their Boss. I've had near-zero oil usage between changes, and I've tracked my Boss 5 or 6 weekends since I've had it. But, it's another thing to check out.

Some owners are going wild with forced induction and/or heavily modded motors. Goes without saying, best to steer clear of Bosses in this category.

An item often missing is the Boss owners kit, which is part of the car's original documentation. Original owners received a kit for Ford containing a certificate of authenticity, a copy of Donald Farr's Boss 302 book, key fob engraved with the car's Boss serial number, some posters and other goodies. Many of these have gone missing for various reasons, so whatever Bosses you end up considering ask the owner if he/she has the owners kit. It should go with the car.

Have also seen several for sale with the stripes removed. Be aware that replacing a full set of missing stripes will cost well north of $3k BEFORE labor.

Bottom line: The general rule for buying any used car also applies to buying a Boss: Buy the best, lowest mileage example you can find that fits your budget. And then enjoy the hell out it!

Watch out for the counterfeit boss's. there are a few around looking for unsuspecting buyers. A quick check, when you pop the hood see if the shocks are adjustable, all boss's have them. The seats and intake are a given but the intake will have a build number on it if it's for real. The shocks would more then likely be over looked and the GT's don't have them

BLAZN BOSS

racered302 said:
Watch out for the counterfeit boss's. there are a few around looking for unsuspecting buyers. A quick check, when you pop the hood see if the shocks are adjustable, all boss's have them. The seats and intake are a given but the intake will have a build number on it if it's for real. The shocks would more then likely be over looked and the GT's don't have them
although any part can be put on a GT to make it look like a boss the best way is to check the vin number.........If it doesnt have a U for the engine code it isnt a Boss. Unless its had a parts change Boss's are the only Mustang that comes with a painted rear axle housing.

BLAZN BOSS

racered302 said:
^ +1 on the Vin. Didn't know about the painted axle.
That info comes from the movie in the owners kit. Theres a part where one of the engineers is talking where he and some big wig at Ford are walking under the car and see the rusted axle, the engineer says he said how that would look years later at the barrett jackson auction when it rolls up on stage.........the big wig said to paint all the Boss axles. So Boss Mustang are the only ones recieving a totaly painted axle housing, tubes and all.

cosm3os said:

Warranty...

TMO Supporting Vendors