The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New guy, Non-BOSS owner

Mustang_Mechanic

Ford Master Technician
Hey guys,
Don't know if this is the right spot to post an introduction, but My name is David and I do not own a BOSS. I am a Ford Master Technician and it was recommended to me by my friend John (LS110) to make an account on here. I have been reading this forum for the last two years or so and I figured why not.
I work for Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake MN and an the only technician that is allowed to work on afterarket performance or Ford Racing vehicles. I service about 10-14 BOSS302's and countless of other higher performance mustangs. John and I have become friends over the last couple years and other than the wing hood and roll cage I have done everything to his car.
If you ever have any questions for me just let me know. I will be the first to say I don't know everything about these fine ponies, but I have a lot of resources and quite a bit of hands on experience.
If you live in MN and service your BOSS at the my dealership, I am the tech that works on it.
 
Hi David and welcome to BMO. John has mentioned you before and I look forward to tapping into your expertise on our cars. So you work on Mustangs do you own one too?
 

Mustang_Mechanic

Ford Master Technician
I do not have a mustang. Don't judge, but I have 2 bmw's. A 1974 BMW 2002 and a 2000 BMW 323it. I enjoy working on the stangs and have been a ford tech for almost 8 years, however I have never had the extra income to purchase a fun toy like that. Plus, having two kids and living in the artic of mn, it doesn't make a good daily driver. Some day I hope to have one
 
Hi David!
Your BMW´s have been assembled in Dingolfing, Germany, only 15 miles away from my hometown!
My father owned two 2002´s, a white one and a few years later an "inka" (a kind of orange).
I have good memories to these cars, and there are still a lot of 1502´s and 2002´s on classic car meets her in Bavaria to see.
http://www.02-club.de/treffen.htm
Best regards from Germany!

Hans
 

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Moderator
3,754
1,228
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
NY Metro
Hey David welcome to BMO. First rule of BMO is there are no secrets on BMO. If you know something you have to post immediately with part numbers and a full DIY how to.

Seriously its good to have you here, I order about 80% of my parts from Autonation White Bear Lake (Tousely) very happy with the pricing and delivery speed, they also are very helpful if you call with a question.
Steve
 

Mustang_Mechanic

Ford Master Technician
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have enjoyed working at Tousley. It is nice having such a large inventory.
John and I have been talking about doing the cams with VCR delete and cobra jet intake. I need your help to talk him into it ;).

Hans, I lived I Europe for 2.5 years and have grown up with bmw's and jaguars. Our family car in Germany was an '89 735i with a standard transmission. I stuck with what I grew up on.
I actually grew up not liking ford, but have been impressed with the quality of product they are now putting out.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
Mustang_Mechanic said:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have enjoyed working at Tousley. It is nice having such a large inventory.
John and I have been talking about doing the cams with VCR delete and cobra jet intake. I need your help to talk him into it ;).

Hans, I lived I Europe for 2.5 years and have grown up with bmw's and jaguars. Our family car in Germany was an '89 735i with a standard transmission. I stuck with what I grew up on.
I actually grew up not liking ford, but have been impressed with the quality of product they are now putting out.

David - John and I are getting together this Wednesday at LimeRock Park in CT. I'll work on convincing him about the cams and CJI. It's actually very easy to get him to buy into that - just say that when your done he will be faster than Cloud 9. I guarantee you that'll do it. ::)

-Pete
 

Mustang_Mechanic

Ford Master Technician
PeteInCT said:
David - John and I are getting together this Wednesday at LimeRock Park in CT. I'll work on convincing him about the cams and CJI. It's actually very easy to get him to buy into that - just say that when your done he will be faster than Cloud 9. I guarantee you that'll do it. ::)

-Pete
Pete, John is pretty excited to rent a miata and throw it around the track. Sounds like it is a very short track. He mentioned there were only 2 down shift corners and 2-3 upshift straights. sounds like you can just go flat out all the time. Hopefully he will bring his gopro so I get to watch later
 

Mustang_Mechanic

Ford Master Technician
cosm3os said:
Welcome. I've got at 76 with a tii swap!

Mine is a tii swap as well. It is a '73 tii with the mechanical fuel injection ditched for duel weber dcoe40's. The motor was rebuilt by KORMAN. I believe it is their stage 3 package with a 292 cam in it. Lopes quite a bit at idle which scares me because of the clearance between the radiator and cooling fan
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
Mustang_Mechanic said:
Pete, John is pretty excited to rent a miata and throw it around the track. Sounds like it is a very short track. He mentioned there were only 2 down shift corners and 2-3 upshift straights. sounds like you can just go flat out all the time. Hopefully he will bring his gopro so I get to watch later

1.5 miles, very technical. Not a lot of run off in many sections so it keeps you honest in spots. The miatas love this track since it really has only one brake zone for them. High HP cars have fun for other reasons ;-)
 

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Welcome David....Nice to have you aboard! Glad you enjoy working for Tousley...Now Autonation. I remember going with my folks to pick up two new vehicles from there...one in 1967 and one in 1970. Part of my childhood was spent in Shoreview...just a few miles west of White Bear Lake.

Let us know if you do the cams and intake. It will be nice to hear about the experience as well as the outcome.

Wayne
West Central, MN
 

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
David ,
Welcome, always nice to have someone like you with your knowledge on board. Nothing wrong with BMWs I currently have a 1990 E-30, fun car. Slow but fun. Have had several other BMWs and love them. Your 74 2002, sweet little car, and your touring what a great car. We had a instructor tracking his touring and it was fast.
Any how your contribution to the forum is appreciated.
 
PeteInCT said:
David - John and I are getting together this Wednesday at LimeRock Park in CT. I'll work on convincing him about the cams and CJI. It's actually very easy to get him to buy into that - just say that when your done he will be faster than Cloud 9. I guarantee you that'll do it. ::)

-Pete
Welcome to BMO David. If I could just make one suggestion, please disconnect John's VCT solenoids before we head to Road America later this month ;)

Glad to have you aboard. I've heard so many good things about your work from John and I know he appreciates all your help.
 

Mustang_Mechanic

Ford Master Technician
cloud9 said:
Welcome to BMO David. If I could just make one suggestion, please disconnect John's VCT solenoids before we head to Road America later this month ;)

Glad to have you aboard. I've heard so many good things about your work from John and I know he appreciates all your help.

I hope you guys have fun at road America. I'll actually be there the following month for a vintage race as a spectator of course.
I have to admit I'm a little nervous about John going. Every time he goes racing out of state the BOSS comes back on a hook.

Road America is a beautiful track. I spent many of summers going to see old timers throw their irreplaceable classics around turns and over hills
 
Mustang_Mechanic said:
Mine is a tii swap as well. It is a '73 tii with the mechanical fuel injection ditched for duel weber dcoe40's. The motor was rebuilt by KORMAN. I believe it is their stage 3 package with a 292 cam in it. Lopes quite a bit at idle which scares me because of the clearance between the radiator and cooling fan

I'm still rockin the kugelfischer. Helps that I have Ben Thongsai down the street from me, but no problems so far.
 
Mustang_Mechanic said:
I hope you guys have fun at road America. I'll actually be there the following month for a vintage race as a spectator of course.
I have to admit I'm a little nervous about John going. Every time he goes racing out of state the BOSS comes back on a hook.

Road America is a beautiful track. I spent many of summers going to see old timers throw their irreplaceable classics around turns and over hills
You and me both. Our last trip there we were both down before noon the first day. Hoping for better luck this time. It is a beautiful track and my wife really likes going just for the scenery. It's also got more than it's fair share of pucker factor which is probably what makes it so fun.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top