The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New helmet recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's been 8 years since I was on a track, so I need to replace my old SA2005 helmet. While I hope to do more racing starting this year I only have 1 autocross day planned. I don't want to break the bank on a new helmet, but I also don't want to cheap out on one of the most important safety items. I got a nasty concussion many years ago when I backed into a wall around 80 mph....

Looking for recommendations on a SA2015 helmet. My main concern is obviously safety, beyond that I prefer more ventilation over lighter weight (never really got fatigue from the weight of my old helmet, just really sweaty).

I know Bell is a quality company so I was looking at their entry level sport helmet:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/SPOR...1EsIzkzILm988lCLuFbgRobYCiT5Vj1AaAsZAEALw_wcB

I don't usually like cheap brands I've never heard of, but these seem to be popular for beginners:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0633UG/ref=twister_B074F2H51R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My old helmet was made by Pyrotech and I have no complaints (other than that's what I was wearing when I hit the wall, but that's not the helmets fault). They have this carbon fiber helmet that's less than the Bell or the fiberglass version for $90 less.

https://pitstopusa.com/i-23900121-pyrotect-prosport-carbon-graphic-helmet.html?ref=category:1212287

Those were the 3 that stood out to me doing my internet research, but I thought I'd ask here since you guys actually own and use these helmets as intended.

Thanks for the link. I forgot about the HJC AR10. I all my motorcycle helmets are HJC and fit very comfortably.
I did some searching on google and couldn't find any close shops that stocked race helmets. One place about 1.5 hours from me. Anybody in Mass who knows a place?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Booah hit the nail on the head, a HANS device will become standard with many groups in the very near future, and it is helmet option you should make sure is part of the helmet you buy -- fortunately most have the adaption, but good to ask?

From what I've researched all SA2015 helmets have to have terminals built in for neck restraint systems. I've been reading about Snell testing and if I understand correctly all Snell approved helmets have to not only meet the specific standards but also have to physically be tested by Snell to get certified. If that's the case, I would think the main differences at the entry level would be features and how it fits.

I guess I'm curious what other track guys are using and why they picked the one they did.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I’ve used a cheap RaceQuip for 3 years going into 4. I’m trying to get by until the Roux SA 2020 helmets come out, then move for that since they have imsa head sets with noise cancelling mics, that will be great for instructing.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
DaveW had some very reasonable priced CF Helmets at soloperformance.com , so you might drop him a note and see if any are left. You can let him know I mentioned it , as I like the one I have quite a bit.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I have used both a Bell XL SA2010 (Which is a bit big on me and I'm looking to offload) and two Conquer SA2015 L (One CF and one normal that I could cut loose too). These Conquer ones fit nice and work just fine and do come with the Hans inserts.

Thanks for all the input! I decided to give the HJC a try for a few reasons. I like their motorcycle helmets, Amazon has it for $296 (about $34 cheaper than everywhere else), and free returns to Amazon so I thought I'd give it a try. Also, the HJC is on the lighter side for a fiberglass shell at 3.6 pounds. Might try the Conquer if I don't like the fit of the HJC.
I like the idea of buying something in this price range for now and if I'm able to hit the track more often I can look for something nicer after the 2020's come out.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am hoping that you are just referring to the fact that you like HJC because they also make motorcycle helmets, not that you bought a Snell rated motorcycle helmet thinking it was double duty? 90% of all groups will not allow a Snell Approved motorcycle helmet as they do not have fire protection. If you did order a motorcycle one , then you are in good shape for that free return.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I figured that was what you were saying , but just wanted to confirm, as it is often a problem at track events that we get newcomers and we have to tell them their MA Snell Rated helmet is not legal for automotive track pursuits. Just wanted to throw that out there , just in case.

TMO Supporting Vendors