The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New high RPM crank trigger ring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I read that wrong as "ordered one from Tousley .67" :eek:

AED is apparently going to 8200 RPM with their tunes now! Still waiting to see some graphs to see if power is really building all the way there, however.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
captdistraction said:
I'd maybe make a pass to see, but I thought the valvetrain on the boss heads was good to 8000max, backed down to 7500 to meet 150k durability tests.

Unless it makes significantly more power, I couldn't imagine wanting more than 7800rpm with 3.73 gears (even when on 275/35/18 race scrubs)

TBH the car puts down enough power in stock trim that it will be right on the limits of ST2 class rules when it's lightened up; I really don't think any more power is needed if competing in a power-to-weight limited class is intended. I would like a tune to get rid of the cats at some point, however.

captdistraction said:
I'd maybe make a pass to see, but I thought the valvetrain on the boss heads was good to 8000max, backed down to 7500 to meet 150k durability tests.

Unless it makes significantly more power, I couldn't imagine wanting more than 7800rpm with 3.73 gears (even when on 275/35/18 race scrubs)

The boss engine was designed for 8400 rpm then taken down to 7500 for release.

With a tune I would think you can still build power up high but why turn it to it's point of who knows? When you can build the same power at a safe rpm.

captdistraction said:

The engineer in the article about the engineering of the Boss said it was backed down in case of a missed shift causing over-revving and because the ECU could not handle higher rpm, since Ford made them use the GT ECU. The real reasons? Who knows.

TMO Supporting Vendors