The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New high RPM crank trigger ring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRPP is now offering the revised crank timing ring that was designed for the 2013 Cobra Jet cars.

http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22870

Shaun@AED said:
Curious what the difference is. I've got Boss customers spinning past 8K already....

BossRPM.png

According to the magazine article, the stock ring has a gap that at high RPMs the computer misreads as a missing tooth or something.

OLOABoss said:
Maybe the definitive cure for the recurrent P0300

Peter
Hmmm...

Interesting indeed. While the Track Key CPS Re-learn code seems to work, perhaps that's just a software band-aid, and this would be the "real" fix.

Wonder if this will be an incoming TSB...

I do not see how this would help? I have been told the P030X codes are from hitting the rev limiter and picking up the miss from the cylinders cutting off. In this case the crank timing ring will not help if you still hit the rev limiter.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Scott
I hit rev limiter at 7400 at least once a track day and haven't gotten the 0300 code. I did get it once early on with stock tune and stock intake. Cleared it after panicking and calling Ford and hasn't come back since. I think this wheel must have more teeth for more precise crank location accuracy. Hopefully someone can give us the technical details.
Steve

If you get a P0300 take it to the dealer for a Neutral Profile Relearn.
Some shops have an IDS and can do the procedure as well.
I can as well.

This sounds really interesting, it's unfortunate that they discovered this fix after our cars were built. From the 5.0 Mustang magazine article on the Road Runner engine development, I read that the PCM was what limited engine speed to 7500 as they actually wanted 7700+. Turns out from the article in 5.0 Mustang on the Cobra Jet engine that they fixed the PCM losing synch with the crank by modifying the target wheel [crank trigger ring]. I also read somewhere that they validated the valve train up to 7900 RPM.

I guess if someone wanted an 8100 RPM they would need to pick up one of these target wheels as well as new valve springs (load requirements on the valve spring increase by a surprising 20% when speed increases from 7500 to 8100) and I guess the new exhaust cam from the Cobra Jet. Then you would still need to reprogram the PCM to move fuel cut off from 7500 up to 8100 RPM. Maybe a tuner or FRPP might release the Cobra Jet tune.

I am trying to find the original source to quote, but I recall reading that the extra wide gap that indicates TDC would be missed by the PCM at high RPM. The fix was to make the wide notch's depth shallower by 1mm. You can see the mod in the photo in the article on the 13 Cobra Jet motors.

Looks like part not available till august 17th. only about $100 but not something I can do myself and labor to change it out is about 8-10 hours. So about $650 to $750 for me to have a friends shop do the work.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Hermes said:
I guess if someone wanted an 8100 RPM they would need to pick up one of these target wheels as well as new valve springs (load requirements on the valve spring increase by a surprising 20% when speed increases from 7500 to 8100) and I guess the new exhaust cam from the Cobra Jet. Then you would still need to reprogram the PCM to move fuel cut off from 7500 up to 8100 RPM. Maybe a tuner or FRPP might release the Cobra Jet tune.

HMMMMMMMMM

Sounds very tempting, it's just that this is way low on my priority list for tracking the car. But an 8100 RPM car would have it's own cool factor that might be worth the price of admission alone.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Well, I know the engine passed the 150k mile durability tests with the 7500 redline, and I don't want to be paying for a replacement anytime soon, so that's where it's staying, at least until the factory powertrain warranty is up.

TMO Supporting Vendors