The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New (homemade) Splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was going to put the duct kit on today and since I was at it thought I would make the splitter today. Ended up costing me most of the day so I will need to finish up tomorrow. Added only one inch more then the existing splitter so I was thinking I would not need the supports for that small amount. I did not take into account the Boss has nothing in the middle and that is where the support is needed. Now it looks like I have to order a set of the supports.

I may tone back the sides just a little bit, around a quarter inch more from where the side corners are.

Started with a big sheet
CIMG2048.png

did a rough cut
CIMG2056.png
CIMG2057.png

Just a quick mount
CIMG2059.jpg
CIMG2060.jpg
CIMG2061.jpg
CIMG2071.jpg

drano38 said:
Dang, Scott,
That looks great.
I like the angled ones, and agree that when going flat out, you should shave a couple tenths off your lap. ;D
I agree on the angled ones. Is this Wayne?

Maui
Wow you did a great a really stand up job. I like the angled ones!!! Once you get the technique down, maybe you could mass produce...hehe.

2012YellowBoss said:
OK, these are not the best pics but does anyone like the look of the more "aerodynamic" blocks? Not only are they aerodynamic they weigh about 20% less so I can go faster ;D

Seriously does it look better cut or leave well enough alone?
I think the angled ones look better. Great job, Scott.

Thanks guys, I really wanted to get everyones opinions on these. Looks like I will modify them ;D

I don't think painted is the way to go, too much work keeping up with them after little chips etc. They would look good at first but then ... Powder Coating would be better but again too much work.

2012YellowBoss said:
OK, these are not the best pics but does anyone like the look of the more "aerodynamic" blocks? Not only are they aerodynamic they weigh about 20% less so I can go faster

The angled aero look. Not only will you go faster due to their lighter weight, but the air flow to your radiator will be so much smoother good for 10 degrees less. Good job on this project!

Scott, how far out does your splitter stick out from the valance in the middle, the corners and the sides where it terminates in front of the wheels? I'm looking to have a custom CF splitter made and I'm trying to get an idea of what size I want. They are saying 2" all the way around but I'm thinking 2.5" except for the sides where I don't want it to stick out any further than the stock splitter.

And how did you mount the supports? Just drill through the plastic into the bumper?

BTW my son thinks you did an awesome job on the splitter!

Something like this:
Picture_2726.jpg
Low_Right.jpg

http://aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=250&Itemid=44

5 DOT 0 said:
Scott, how far out does your splitter stick out from the valance in the middle, the corners and the sides where it terminates in front of the wheels? I'm looking to have a custom CF splitter made and I'm trying to get an idea of what size I want. They are saying 2" all the way around but I'm thinking 2.5" except for the sides where I don't want it to stick out any further than the stock splitter.

And how did you mount the supports? Just drill through the plastic into the bumper?

It is a lot more then those pictured. I took the stock splitter and added an inch, since there was no middle section it was harder to get correct shape. After finishing touches I would guess I took off at least 1/4 inch all around. The sides furthest back (in front of the wheels is about 2 inches, the corners are about 4 inches and it tappers down to 3 inches at the very front center. I did not have a LS splitter to copy, that would have been best but I went with this.

Posted some picture in the thread of the Ford Racing bracket I used. It attaches to the bumper and I used two pieces of the aluminum rod, drilled and tapped with 1/4 inch threaded rod to to attach it.

I added some material to lower the splitter, it now hangs down to the level of the splash pan in the middle but there is a lip on both sides of the splash pan that protrude down. I was going to cut them off but after looking at pictures of a 302S it is the same so I will leave them for now.
CIMG2230.jpg
CIMG2231.png

5 DOT 0 said:
Thanks Scott. Do you have the part number for the bracket? What did you use to lower the back of the splitter to the splash pan? Did it angle the splitter up? Was the stock hardware long enough to use with your splitter? How long are your struts?

You did a terrific job making your own splitter!

M-17A626-MB Bracket, I got it from CJ's, they don't list it but were able to get it. They say it would be 10 day but I received it in less then half that time.

Used M8 x30 bolts, I think the originals are 25 length, only lowered it about another 1/4 inch. Can't do more because of the trailer and street driving. I used a compressed board with a shinny foil like side from Home Depot. I do not know the name of it , sorry. It would be best to just use another piece of 1/4 ABS and may re-do it this way in the future.

After I made the struts I just put a level to it and got it as straight as possibile. I don't see a need to tilt it up or down now. If more down-force is needed I guess I could tilt it down but I think that would be counter productive.

5 DOT 0 said:
Looking good!

For those looking to have a backup splitter (or DIY instead of Ford's), here is a link to the raw material:

http://www.emcoplastics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=289&ParentCat=94

A 48x96x.375 inch sheet which costs $170 (plus shipping) can be used to make 2 splitters.
- Just scribe a new splitter on the board material before installing the original; call out the mount positions for drilling & you have a exact copy made with material that is similar (if not identical) to that of the Ford splitter at a fraction of the cost.

I've used this material on other cars and it is strong and resilient yet very easy to drill/fabricate/shape, etc. (they do have black color)

ok guys, i have a 2012 red boss and just purchased a LS chin splitter.....from the looks of all this info i assume the bracket under the bumper needs to be installed??..i called ford racing today and they told me it was already on the car?....any thoughts

dean said:
ok guys, i have a 2012 red boss and just purchased a LS chin splitter.....from the looks of all this info i assume the bracket under the bumper needs to be installed??..i called ford racing today and they told me it was already on the car?....any thoughts
Non LS cars do not have it preinstalled so you'll need to remove the bumper cover to install it.

thank you....do you know if it is relatively easy to pull the bumper cover?.....i'm assuming ford racing will send instructions but would like to get myself prepped ? thank you

thats the one i ordered and thank you for the info...think the four hours will be worth it....will take some pics of the install when i do it.....it'll be here around the 4th

TMO Supporting Vendors