The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Hoosier Rain Tire, and Ban the A7?!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier introduced a new rain tire at the runoffs called the W2. AJ ran it in the torrential downpour in GT2, (the winning Porsche had Yokahama rains on it BTW) The Porsche is always tough to beat in the rain, both cars spun at one point, and I'm not even sure they should've been racing at all, but whatever.

All I can say is the tire is obviously a lot stickier than the old H2O compound. It's so new that I won't even recommend sizes or pressures, all that needs to be figured out yet. Best thing to do right now is call your Hoosier dealer. I don't know if Hoosier intends to keep the old (H2O ) compound around or not.

Interestingly, the SCCA banned the A7 compound tire in A sedan. I'm not sure their reasoning behind it, but it was specifically called out. Goodyear took the opportunity to introduce a new trick rubber tire and it set on the pole. Hoosier "invented" a new compound (or maybe they didn't) at the last minute, and labeled them the new A sedan "M" compound, the first 3 cars were all on Hoosiers at the finish
If you ever get the chance to watch Andy Mcdermid drive his A sedan Mustang live, you should, it's worth the price of admission all by itself. He would've been right at home with Parnelli jones and Dan Gurney back in the 70s Trans Am days. The car is never straight. It's probably not fast that way, but it's the best show in town.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
LOL.. Mcdermid.. pretty much the same driving style as me.. use it up, wear it out, eat it all.

I love it

A one handed driver!! My older brother would wack me across the head when ever I kept my hand on the shifter.
Does no seem to be slowing him down any though.

That's so much fun to watch! Forgive my ignorance. What's the double tap of the brakes for please? Shifting weight before heavy braking? Making sure the calipers are ready for heavy braking?

Brakes do something called "knockback" since bounding over curbs and such tends to force the pads away from the rotor, a quick tap on them takes up some of that play before you go pounding on them, and it also insures that you actually have brakes. these cars go pretty fast and are heavy, the brakes are limited, so all of that comes into play.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
LOL.. Mcdermid.. pretty much the same driving style as me.. use it up, wear it out, eat it all.

I love it
You can have an all aluminum dash in A sedan?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Brakes do something called "knockback" since bounding over curbs and such tends to force the pads away from the rotor, a quick tap on them takes up some of that play before you go pounding on them, and it also insures that you actually have brakes. these cars go pretty fast and are heavy, the brakes are limited, so all of that comes into play.
I see a tilton type pedal set up. Do they do away with the ABS?
Also, that motor doesn't sound to me like a coyote or 3v. That trans shifts pretty slick too.
A sedan must be different than it is around here.

I see a tilton type pedal set up. Do they do away with the ABS?
Also, that motor doesn't sound to me like a coyote or 3v. That trans shifts pretty slick too.
A sedan must be different than it is around here.
No ABS, a pushrod motor, not sure which trans they use. If you go to SCCA.com and watch the race from Indy, it was spectacular.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
No ABS, a pushrod motor, not sure which trans they use. If you go to SCCA.com and watch the race from Indy, it was spectacular.
I'll check it out tonight, that clip was fun. Around here the hot A/S cars are all spec mustangs.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
A one handed driver!! My older brother would wack me across the head when ever I kept my hand on the shifter.
Does no seem to be slowing him down any though.

Your older brother needs to give him a whack as well! Having only one hand is making his turn-ins imprecise and causing a lot of his slides. Billy Mitchell is particularly nasty on both laps. He definitely wasn't shy about sticking it down the inside into Turn 1, though, huh?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level