The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New in Arizona

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey everyone I'm new, obviously. Building a HPDE/ST3 car for NASA here in Arizona. Car is a salvage title 96 Cobra Vert with about 110K on it. The build has started since a roll bar is required in a vert. Seems many pictures are to large to insert. I'll try more later

FB_IMG_1511410733392.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TMO and good luck with your build.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
King: Welcome to TMO, you will really enjoy this site during your build. Tons of Mustang Race info here with great Members.

Why did you decide on a vert chassis?

Keep posting your progress as this looks to be an interesting build thread.

Honestly the car kinda fell in my lap. I had been searching for a 350Z or G35 for a fun car to turn into a track car. Finding decent 350Z that doesnt have 200k plus miles and isn't a pile of crap seems like a unicorn. Then a started searching on online aution places that sold totalled cars... then like 2 weeks into that, B is for Built on youtube launched his g35 rebuild series... as you can imagine the price on 350Z's and G35s doubled.
At the time one of my employees said "my dad has a mustang cobra he's trying to sell for $3500" and well... this guy isn't a car guy so i was thinking "hmmm cobra for $3500? Bet it's just a GT Cobra clone."
So I sat there stewing in my hatred for internet fan boys and local guys who think their crap is wrapped in golden TP.
Anyway I got curious about the "Cobra" after a Fox caught my attention on Craigslist. So I told my employee I wanted to see it.
Turned out to be a really clean car, and I couldn't figure out why it was for $3500. So I asked to see the title.and was it was a salvage title. So I looked at the frame and looked for damage. The core support was a little banged up, the radiator was a little worse for wear but didn't leak. And the rear trunk lid wasn't the factory one. No damage that concerned me. In fact a salvage title was a relieve because I don't feel bad if I put this car in a wall or something else, tons of after market support, etc. So I talked them down to $3200. I ended up selling the interior for $775 which paid for my roll bar and a few other items. All in all im into this car for less than 5K right now. And I'll have about 6k totsl into it by the time I hit the track.

Yes, leaning towards BMR upper and lower adjustable control arms with h&r race or super race springs and Bilstein shocks/struts.

For power, not really anything to write home about. Maybe some Long tubes and an Off road X pipe, some tuning. At some point the 4v may get pulled for a Coyote but that'll be awhile.

Let's go down the price list so far since I could be completely wrong.
Car- $3200
Radiator/fan/wiring- birthday gift $0 ($400 value)
A/C delete- birthday gift $0 ($55)
Seat- $468
6 point harness (expired but fine for HPDE)- $25
Seat Bracket- $123
Seat back brace- $102
Axle back exhaust- $406
Maximum XL Subframe connectors- $160
Roll bar- $650
Trunk lid, rocker panels and gt hood- $50
Sold Interior- -$775
Total- $4409
I still have the Cobra hood to sell which should bring $300-400, a trunk lid, and two spoilers maybe $30-50
Then I have to buy pads, rotors and fluids. Tires are going to be $465 mounted and I'm picking up some 17x9's for $480 tomorrow or sunday.
So probably closer to 5500 to get on track, 6K if I include the gifts.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
WELCOME!
Before you pull the trigger on those forgestars....have you checked out Apex Wheels?

The Forgestar got picked up by a 350Z driver, he messaged the seller before I did. In any case I've decided I'm going to just put the rubber on the 17x9 wheels I currently have. Run those through DE1/2 then access. First if the month I'm ordering, rotors, pads, fluids, a gates racing belt, and a coolant overflow tank and then it'll be rubber and a hans (deal with the wife is full safety gear, plus my mom sits on the governor's council for spinal cord and head injuries, I have a SA2015 helmet already).

TMO Supporting Vendors