The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New infrastructure bill BS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
...Corporations essentially don’t pay those taxes - Their tax burden is built right into the price of products and services they sell. You and I pay those taxes indirectly. ...
Precisely. There's this weird belief that "corporations" somehow manufacture money out of thin air, but they don't. They receive money from exactly one place: customers. Then they send it to employees, suppliers, taxes and shareholders. Oh, and if you think the "shareholders" can easily afford to take a little less, well, the biggest shareholders on the planet are pension funds and insurance companies. Simply put, when a company sends more money to government, it has to come from somewhere. So, when it comes to taxing corporations, ALL of the taxes collected are paid by consumers one way or another. The easiest response is a price increase. If that won't work, then it comes from reductions in money paid to employees (job cuts, no raises, they'll think of something) or reductions to suppliers (so their employees take the hit) or reductions to shareholders (great - pensions have less money for retirees and premiums for all forms of insurance have to go up).

It's truly a zero-sum game. The feel-good "corporations must pay their fair share" story is a great way to raise taxes on consumers without having to tell them that's what you're doing.

It's almost as bizarre as the notion that somehow stock buybacks are bad. If a company has a bucket of cash and no good investment opportunities, it buys stock back, giving investors the cash so they can invest it in something new. It creates fresh capital in the stock market to fuel economic expansion. It's a very smart move for the company and the shareholders and from a public interest standpoint, money that's in the hands of a company that can't use it ends up invested in a company that can - job growth, new products, all kinds of good things.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
The Hell you say. LOL. It almost sounds like you believe the rich will simply live off the money they already have if businesses are taxes beyond profitability. Strange... Why wouldn't they want to invest in a loosing cause??
I was once asked how many jobs I have had working for a poor man. Besides the government, none.

I work in Mississippi now. Same state where Edelbrock, Holley and others are moving to. Why move here?? Because the State is forgiving the majority of direct taxation to the businesses who move here. They prefer to get the secondary taxes, sales tax, employee income tax and such....for now. Who would have thunk it?? With e-commerce growing and Fedex just up the road, why not move here?
Stop teasing me....where's my suitcase?

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
The Fourth Estate is a tool the political parties use to make lemmings out of all of us.
Shame on us for letting them do it.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Stop teasing me....where's my suitcase?
Yep, Just what I need, another fast mustang down here. Nope.

Did I mention we get Hurricanes??

Got lots of snakes, not all in government.

You will need to learn a second language. Not sure what its call, but its different.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
The same BS is going on here, an active agenda to get us out of our cars! EV's heavily subsidised by the Govt, no wait that's US the TAX payers.
Burning alarming rates of the dirtiest imported coal to keep up with electricity demands and EV switch over has only just started.
Why are people in power so incompetent? Bigger agenda here surely.

Yep, Just what I need, another fast mustang down here. Nope.

Did I mention we get Hurricanes??

Got lots of snakes, not all in government.

You will need to learn a second language. Not sure what its call, but its different.
The issue I see is that everyone in the blue states flees to Florida because of the homestead exemption, no state income tax, low property taxes then the imbeciles vote the same way they did in the blue state.
Please don't New York my Florida

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
The issue I see is that everyone in the blue states flees to Florida because of the homestead exemption, no state income tax, low property taxes then the imbeciles vote the same way they did in the blue state.
I had a timeshare in Palm Beach for 20 years, I had to check that I was in Florida, it sounded a hell of a lot more like New York and Boston than anything else. I prefer the cold, less bugs, snakes, gators ;)

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I don't know... most of the people we know personally, who have moved out of CA in recent years (or plan to soon) tend to lean conservative - and they're moving to red states. I seriously doubt they're going to be the ones to help usher in the new chapter of progressive politics in that state. The ones we know who are more progressive tend to move to blue states. Maybe our experience isn't representative of what's happening on a larger scale though.

On the Infrastructure Bill - I'm always concerned with bills of this size. The problem these days is that so little gets approved that all the reps scramble to get every little thing they can in them (all their campaign promises), as there's no telling when the next bill will get passed due to all the fighting. We're destined to have bills full of pork for as long as the eye can see with the hyperpolarization and gridlock that's taken hold.

Last edited:
I hear it's likely to pass the Senate today @ 11 eastern. Then likely held up at the House.
Anyone know if this driving tax has been or will be amended or removed?

To my knowledge it has not been, I wouldn't plan on it being removed. Fuel tax is going to die with gasoline vehicles, they have to tax us per mile we use the vehicle to get their money.

Even if we somehow dodge it in this bill it will come eventually. Not to mention states will add their per mile taxes on top of the federal rate.

I hear it's likely to pass the Senate today @ 11 eastern. Then likely held up at the House.
Anyone know if this driving tax has been or will be amended or removed?
I phoned my reps already, it's a horrible bill adding trillions to the already overbloated budget, we are basically screwing our grandkids with this debtload, and inflationary spending.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
To my knowledge it has not been, I wouldn't plan on it being removed. Fuel tax is going to die with gasoline vehicles, they have to tax us per mile we use the vehicle to get their money.

Even if we somehow dodge it in this bill it will come eventually. Not to mention states will add their per mile taxes on top of the federal rate.
I suppose it's not as bad as I initially thought. It'll (hopefully) be a similar impact as gas tax is now and not a greater financial magnitude

I suppose it's not as bad as I initially thought. It'll (hopefully) be a similar impact as gas tax is now and not a greater financial magnitude

It will make driving a gas powered vehicle very unattractive. Gas tax+milage tax, only a mileage tax on EVs as you don't buy gas. They are purposely legislating gas vehicles out of existence, I won't get on my EV rant because I don't have that much time.

It will make driving a gas powered vehicle very unattractive. Gas tax+milage tax, only a mileage tax on EVs as you don't buy gas. They are purposely legislating gas vehicles out of existence, I won't get on my EV rant because I don't have that much time.
That's the agenda, tax hell out of the gas burners until no one can afford to drive them, and the ministry of information will continue to pump the rhetoric about how electrics are a viable cost effective alternative to the internal combustion vehicles.. because ... wait for it.. the government is subsidizing their purchase. Once everyone gets stuck with electrics, and all their issues, the gas tax will no longer exist, so tax per mile will be brought in to further extort the peasants. In the meantime, Detroit will just fold up on itself and become even more of an urban, jobless war zone, while virtually all of the lithium used in batteries is mined elsewhere.
BTW, this will also drive groceries and goods sky high for us proletarian types.

Wonder if high speed broadband will finally become more widely available in rural areas. We'll see. It's the one thing I really miss about living in the suburbs.
try these guys

TMO Supporting Vendors