The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New infrastructure bill BS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
try these guys

That's better than dial up, but it's not really high speed - at least not around here.

We used to get 100 mbps ownload speeds in our old suburban neighborhood, and it was very reliable. Here in the rural areas you're stuck with either satellite internet (like Hughes, which is the slowest of the options) or cellular internet (which uses cell towers for signal, which is what we have). We get anywhere between 5-65 mbps download speeds (right now I'm getting 60 down and 20 up), but it's far from reliable, can't always stream movies. But the bigger high speed companies don't offer hard line service out here, as rural areas aren't big money makers like suburban neighborhoods where all the houses are all close together.

Last edited:
In the V6L
Wonder if high speed broadband will finally become more widely available in rural areas. We'll see. It's the one thing I really miss about living in the suburbs.
The biggest obstacle to having real high speed in lightly populated areas is the cost of setting up and running the services. The cost of the infrastructure is high, but the biggest cost is installation and tech support - people have to be hired and kept on staff - not so much the cost of running fiber it in the first place. The game changer for rural internet will be the massive low-orbit satellite constellations that Amazon, Telesat and Oneweb are setting up. If they can get the cost down to something a consumer can afford, they'll transform internet in all of the lightly populated areas in the world, including rural North America.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
The game changer for rural internet will be the massive low-orbit satellite constellations that Amazon, Telesat and Oneweb are setting up.
That's one of the big things keeping people in the metro areas. For those who can run their business from anywhere, all they need is fast internet connection.

In the V6L
That's one of the big things keeping people in the metro areas. For those who can run their business from anywhere, all they need is fast internet connection.
Well, maybe. Our local telco rolled out fiber to the home (FTTH) starting in about 2015. They developed the expertise and business model first by rolling it out in small communities far from the major centers. In 2015, a small town of 70,000 was set up and running on FTTH but it was 2018 before my house in the city was hooked up. I have to say it's nice to have 750mbps up/down here at my desk, but lots of folks in small towns here have the same access.

What hasn't really happened is the move of people to smaller communities over the last 15 months of Covid-driven work-from-home. There's been lots of talk, but not a lot of movement. However, what is true is that a lot of long-term residents of small communities have been building up online businesses and creating new economic growth far from the cities. High speed internet in rural communities is diversifying the economy - "the mill" is no longer the only employer - and it's stabilizing a lot of natural resource based towns where cyclical downturns used to be a huge problem.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Well, maybe. Our local telco rolled out fiber to the home (FTTH) starting in about 2015. They developed the expertise and business model first by rolling it out in small communities far from the major centers. In 2015, a small town of 70,000 was set up and running on FTTH but it was 2018 before my house in the city was hooked up. I have to say it's nice to have 750mbps up/down here at my desk, but lots of folks in small towns here have the same access.

What hasn't really happened is the move of people to smaller communities over the last 15 months of Covid-driven work-from-home. There's been lots of talk, but not a lot of movement. However, what is true is that a lot of long-term residents of small communities have been building up online businesses and creating new economic growth far from the cities. High speed internet in rural communities is diversifying the economy - "the mill" is no longer the only employer - and it's stabilizing a lot of natural resource based towns where cyclical downturns used to be a huge problem.
We're outside the Sacramento area and are getting more people from the Bay Area all the time - can't say it's any more than it's always been, but a lot of the people we've met moving to the rural areas just outside of suburbia tends to be business owners, or those who work from home at least part of the time. I don't know that having reliable high(er) speed connections available will open the flood gates, but I would assume there would be at least an increase for those who don't need to be located in the metro areas for work/business. Having that flexibility will be liberating for many. And I love seeing the small towns finding ways to sustain themselves where it used to be difficult in past times. Fast internet will only enhance that.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
We ran a 150 person camp and tracked 20+ aircraft real time with 10 up and 20 down all through a dish. It can be done. Can everyone watch a first run movie anytime they want, no. Just takes some planning and discipline.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
We ran a 150 person camp and tracked 20+ aircraft real time with 10 up and 20 down all through a dish. It can be done. Can everyone watch a first run movie anytime they want, no. Just takes some planning and discipline.
It can be done, yes. But it's much easier to be productive AND provide family entertainment when you don't have that limitation. Trust me, we've learned some discipline and compromise since we've moved out to the sticks. It's just part of rural life. Working home full time has been mostly okay for both of us, though our daughters are not always happy. :) I'm just surprised there hasn't been a good business case made to solve it yet with as many people who do business online these days and with the crazy speeds that are available in metro areas these days.

I'm just surprised there hasn't been a good business case made to solve it yet with as many people who do business online these days and with the crazy speeds that are available in metro areas these days.

I think when you consider the per-point of use cost to run that infrastructure out into the sticks it makes more sense. Not only building it, maintaining it as well.

Cant be the first. We produce the cleanest energy. Not sure about that?? Think about VW and computer manipulation.
we could've produced the cleanest energy vie hydro electric and nuclear, but we're not allowed to, amazing isn't it. we could be a much cleaner country except for the folks that want us to be a much cleaner country.
Saul Alinsky's principles at their best

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal

TMO Supporting Vendors