The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Kooks 3" Universal CAT - No CEL!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice. I need to wait on the 50 state version though... ::)

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
seca954 said:
Does that mean long tubes can be installed with these cats and no CEL?

Sure seems to be the gist of the video. Drop them an email and ask 'em...

seca954 said:
Does that mean long tubes can be installed with these cats and no CEL?
That's what I'm inferring. Hopefully Kendall at Cooltech has tried these and knows the answer. However, if I recall correctly, he did mention this was an option, just not one worth pursuing as the cost of these cats was very high.

PeteInCT said:
Can you tell us why ?

two things i can attest to are that the converter needs to be placed at a certain distance from the motor allowing temps to get to a pre determined point set in the ecu by for/mopar/chevy ect. with that not being done you will set codes for the cat efficiency being off.

the other thing that happens is when a cat flows to good, the system will read that as a cat efficieny issue and set the codes.

as far as my issue with the kooks, ill just say that at one time i owned a shop and having to deal with them was something i got tired of.
i am glad that i no longer deal with them. american racing is a much better company and take care of there people. and anything you get from kooks can be bought from american racing also.....even if its not listed on there websight ect.

im not going to be the one who tests the new gesi convetre theory out. i am happy with what i have. if i was worring about driving her every day i would stick with the stock manifolds, add the jeggs cat delete pipe and retune for that system allowing a person to reinstall the factory cat pipe when needed...

steve-o

and

Sorry, I just saw this thread. This CAT will NOT solve the CEL on a Boss 302. You might say I have a vested interest to say otherwise but for a fact, this CAT will still cause the CEL to illuminate in the Boss 302.

Ironically, the CAT *may be* good enough to allow the car to pass emissions test but the ECU in the Boss is so darn finicky about it's catalytic efficiency test that it will still trip the light.

Some of you may recall that Kook's and GESI worked togeter and made me a special CAT that is essentially two of these units siamesed together. I have that set-up on our 2013 LS and there is NO CL, However, these CATS are about $250 each and so when you use 4 of them for a solution - that's a coll $1000. Thus, Kooks/GESI did not choose to bring this solution to market.

I'm sorry that this video gave owners some false hopes.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Thanks for telling it like it is. I can cure my CEL with a small piece of electrical tape. ;)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i talked with chris (the guy in the video) at sema this year and we talked at length about their green cat in their system. he menitoned 49 state legal, but didn't know why it wasn't CA legal. does anyone here know? if its a cat that doesn't throw a code and is placed in the stock location, how is it not legal?

he told me kendall's case is the only instance where a code was thrown. maybe its a fluke car? maybe its the only boss they tried it on? maybe there were others he didn't want to share with me?

he told me kendall's case is the only instance where a code was thrown. maybe its a fluke car? maybe its the only boss they tried it on? maybe there were others he didn't want to share with me?

It's the only Boss 302 without a tune that it has been tried on. And we tried it on 3 Boss 302's total and in all 3 cars the CEL illuminated (after about 40 miles of driving). Allegedly, the Kook's Green Cat works on the Mustang GT - according to them.

Hey, I wish the situation was different. I talked to George at SEMA and he mentioned that he was interested to work with me to find a solution and he thought they could get to the bottom of it - but I haven't heard from them since.

TMO Supporting Vendors