The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New member Boss302 GB - pics and track video - and a question!!!

Also after the track day I decided I'm either getting:

Kenny Brown Sport/Comp package
http://store.kennybrown.com/product/suspension-kit/sportcomp-ags-40-gt-4-suspension-2010-2012-shelby-gt500-and-boss-302-mustang

OR

KW CLUB SPORTS

ANY INPUT? What is a better route to go?






TRACK VID (stock but baffles on removed) : Buttonwillow westloop - best lap of 1:20:71

2013 Boss 302 @ Buttonwillow Raceway West Loop - YouTube



Pics From BUTTONWILLOW WEST LOOP


IMG_3593.jpg



From other car's rear mount camera
IMG_3534.jpg


IMG_3510.jpg





From WILLOW SPRING (BIG WILLOW)
-7BEF-4189-B89C-D0BEC1F0B9C2-1976-0000019E8E465A34.jpg

-3F89-464E-95F3-D4DCAD3308EC-1976-0000019E88CD439B.jpg




Random

95e7a9ef.jpg
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,242
71
PeteInCT said:
Do you drive your car on the street much or is it a dedicated track car ?

Truly the definition of a 'one track mind' :D Not a hello, welcome to BMO, nice pix, etc, just straight to the point... Guess you drink your coffee black? Just a hunch.
 
PeteInCT said:
Espresso only. Straight up. I leave all the frilly stuff to Rick ;D
Hey I resemble that cup of Joe and I'm drinking one now.

DD glad you could join us. I don't have any experience with coilover suspension but I did meet Kenny Brown last month and I talked to him quite a bit about his suspension kit. His big deal is to lower the roll center front and rear and according to him that makes a big difference in the handling of our cars. I'd give KB a call and talk to them. Kenny was very friendly and I wouldn't hesitate to ask for him. Good luck.
 
5 DOT 0 said:
PeteInCT said:
Espresso only. Straight up. I leave all the frilly stuff to Rick ;D
Hey I resemble that cup of Joe and I'm drinking one now.

DD glad you could join us. I don't have any experience with coilover suspension but I did meet Kenny Brown last month and I talked to him quite a bit about his suspension kit. His big deal is to lower the roll center front and rear and according to him that makes a big difference in the handling of our cars. I'd give KB a call and talk to them. Kenny was very friendly and I wouldn't hesitate to ask for him. Good luck.


I spoke to them on the phone yesterday and watched the explanation videos online. They seem very knowledgable.

I like his theories behind his parts and I like that it leaves the car a stock height which makes it a bit of a sleeper and easy for DD

The KW's seem like they will also help with body roll and be much better dampened. Helping keep the tires on the ground. I know it will lower the car a bit.
 
ArizonaGT said:
Clean laps there, looks quick!

Thanks! And thanks to everyone who has responded! I've been on another forum for a little and never get and replies or help. I've scrolled thru this site a bit and seems to have a lot of knowledge and track related topics!!! Thanks and thanks to DOT for the recommendation.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,545
2,376
Arizona, USA
I have the Roush Trak Pak kit on my car which is a rebound-adjustable coilover setup, it is made by KW and it is very solid. I haven't had any experience with the clubsports or Kenny Brown stuff but they both look very good.
 
DD GT3 RD said:
It is my daily driver. ;) track will be once a month, sometime more, sometimes less
If yours is a daily driver I'd be more inclined to do what our FR member recommended to several of us. You can read about it in the threads below. Just installing the P springs will make a noticeable difference.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/ford-racing-suspension-upgrades/

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/i-did-what-i-said-i-wouldn't-suspension-parts-are-in-route/
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,545
2,376
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
If yours is a daily driver I'd be more inclined to do what our FR member recommended to several of us. You can read about it in the threads below. Just installing the P springs will make a noticeable difference.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/ford-racing-suspension-upgrades/

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/i-did-what-i-said-i-wouldn't-suspension-parts-are-in-route/

This is also a very good option and MUCH less expensive.
 
ArizonaGT said:
5 DOT 0 said:
If yours is a daily driver I'd be more inclined to do what our FR member recommended to several of us. You can read about it in the threads below. Just installing the P springs will make a noticeable difference.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/ford-racing-suspension-upgrades/

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/i-did-what-i-said-i-wouldn't-suspension-parts-are-in-route/

This is also a very good option and MUCH less expensive.
Yep and being able to sell the stock dampers to the GT crowd helps offset the cost a lot.
 
if im not mistaken "DOT" you are the one running the parts listed (the FORD RACING PARTS).

How do you like it? My main goal is to reduce body roll and on some tight turn/decreasing radius I was really fighting understeer.
 
DD GT3 RD said:
if im not mistaken "DOT" you are the one running the parts listed (the FORD RACING PARTS).

How do you like it? My main goal is to reduce body roll and on some tight turn/decreasing radius I was really fighting understeer.
I like it a lot better than stock. My main goals were to reduce body roll and brake dive and lower the car a bit. Mission accomplished. The car feels more stable and controlled which increases my confidence a lot. I haven't experienced a lot of understeer at the tracks I've been to with the stock or modified suspension. Gary has a lot more experience than I do so maybe he'll join the conversation. I'm still messing with the new damper settings and will go full stiff in a couple of weeks at ThunderHill since it's faster and smoother than Laguna Seca or Sonoma where I've run my new suspension setup.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
So I guess my reputation preceeds me ;D

As far as the suspension, if it's a DD then the question is how much better handling are you looking for at the track and how much spine rattle are you OK with on the street. The KW's are great coilovers, however it may make the most sense to go with a fully integrated approach vs. one-off parts that may not work as well together as they would otherwise. I personally think the car needs to be lowered and stiffened, even in my LS version there is more roll in it than I want on the track (my car is not a DD). Right now I believe I'll go with a full 302S suspension over the winter as well as some more Aero, although I'll look into what Kenny has to offer also.
 

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
5,581
4,106
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Since you jumped right to suspensions, I am wondering if this is before you do some other items that will make you go faster and give you the option to look into what you want to do for driveability with your DD. Mainly, whether your next step is to get some stickier rubber and new rims ?

Though a suspension is a logical upgrade , I personally would spend bucks on some other areas first, and decide whether to go with something like Kenny Brown has or more sophisticated like what is available from MCS.

Just a thought but surprisingly the base suspension is pretty dang good, especially if you like to climb the curbing at the California tracks - just my humble opinion.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
See, that's why they pay you the big bucks on this Forum Bill - you're right again ;D

For me, I've done the wheels/tires/pads gig. Now I'm trying to dive into the corners with the GT3RS's. ::)
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top