The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Member from Huntsville, AL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Just joined today after meeting a couple members @TMSBOSS and @4dMuscle this weekend at Barber. Great guys. Can’t thank them enough for the help this weekend and the ride in the GT350R.

I didn’t see a New Member Introduction forum so I decided to post here since I meet vintage requirements...personally and my car.

Anyway, when I was 20’ish I tracked a ‘83 GT for a couple years. Mid-Ohio, Atlanta, Charlotte. Got out for a long time to raise five kids.

In 2012 I purchased a rolling chassis ‘65 Hardtop off the side of the road for $1200 to build a dedicated track car with a goal of vintage W2W. Worked on it for a couple of years.

After stripping the chassis...
1610935151302.jpeg

In 2015 I decided I wanted a ‘86 SVO so I started looking hard for one. Found several and decided to purchase one in Ohio. The night before I was to leave to purchase the car I saw a friend of close to thirty years in the grocery store. He told me he was selling his ‘66 GT Hardtop which he had owned and driven daily for over thirty-five years. He then proceeded to tell me that I was buying the car. Mind you we had not discussed any financial details. Long story short we worked out a deal and he brought me the car the week before Christmas 2015...without a penny being exchanged at that point.

When he brought it to me...all original paint and interior.
1610935236086.jpeg

1610935269477.jpeg

1610935307067.jpeg

I drove and worked on the car for several years doing some car shows and such. Rebuilt the full suspension, rebuilt and installed a Toploader four speed. Rebuilt and installed a 8” Trac-Lok rear with 3.55’s. OEM engine finally gave way sometime in 2017 with what I believe to be over 240K miles. I had already started the engine build for the track car. So I finished the engine to HiPo spec with a true 289 HiPo solid lifter cam from Holman Moody. Drove it for a while longer...until the engine ran hot one day and performance fell off the cliff.
1610935641813.jpeg

At that point I thought...I need to start getting some seat time. No time like the present. So a friend of mine had a ‘68 Mexican 302 block which he gave me and I built a the engine for what would have been for the track car, but I installed in the ‘66 GT. 100% vintage legal 289. 12.5:1 compression. Little bit of head work on some 289 heads. Custom Holman Moody solid lifter cam. I tracked the ‘66 GT for all of 2019. Final event for it was March 2020 at CMP when the Canton road race pan cracked in one of the lower sump rear weld seamsalmost putting me into the wall and spinning the guy behind me.

At that point, my wife said NO more...Park it and finish the race car. SOOOOOO, I spent the next ten Corona-Months of 2020 building the car. I finished it last Thursday night in preparation for the Barber event this weekend.

1610937081426.jpeg

1610937145903.jpeg

1610937197375.jpeg

Anyway, thanks for having me. Look forward to meeting some of you other members at the track.

Kind Regards,
Patrick

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Pat’s mustang looks and sounds even better in person. For a car finished on Thursday and brought to the track on Friday, she was built right. After chasing a few small leaks, it was game on. A 289 with straight pipes makes such sweet music.
Glad to have you on the site. It was fantastic meeting you and the Mrs. this weekend.
Welcome

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Tracy sent me the video of your Classic Stang warming up and I decided to go out to the garage and pull the Boss S out just to hear a little rumble, only to forget she was parked down in my son's garage for the Winter. Tracy mentioned me exactly what he posted above, that your car is even more impressive in person! That is hard to imagine because she is absolutely gorgeous. I know I speak for everyone on the site, we need to see more of her and videos of you racing in the Vintage Series will be much appreciated.

Welcome to TMO, glad to have you here and where you posted is perfectly fine.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Thank you kindly Sir. I literally finished the car last Thursday night...doing the front end alignment. I have several small issues to sort out, but I’ll get it there.

And yes video is one of those. All my friends over on VMF are busting my chops because I had no in car video. Well I broke my freaking phone mount Thursday night. 🤬🤬🤬. So it’s on the list.

Plan on attending Road Atlanta March 5th. Hope to see some of you guys there.

Yeah svra has changed a lot since I was working with a team years ago they used to let you run as long as your car was a vintage car and had some sort of history. Whatever series you are running I’m sure you will have a blast!!! And if you head up to Road America I will be sure to come and say hi!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Check with the NASA Regions near you , as some may run a Vintage Series or include them in their events. The Central Region of NASA usually has a couple of Vintage Races each year at Heartland Motorsports Park and we get quite a few drivers from Texas. It is essentially a Mustang Love Fest because the bulk of all the cars are 60s or early 70s Mustangs. Bit of a drive , but there may some Vintage groups in the Texas or Mid South NASA Regions? Something you might want to check into? I will see if I can get some info, for you, from the Central Region NASA's Directors.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
What? You didn’t like my trailer? 🤣🤣🤣

It is a bit rough. In the midst of building the car over the last ten months, I also worked on the trailer. It’s ready for primer. I know it looks rough. Hopefully, the next time you see it, it will be painted.

However, what do you have? Mind you, I only have $6K in this one. That’s with five new tires, wheel bearings, and a gallon of body filler...🤪🤪🤪

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Topeka is just the opposite , one of the smoothest tracks in all of the Midwest. We often joke your tires look better when you leave than they did when you arrived.
Be a good place for you to meet together and run. You can even ask Tracy about Topeka ( Heartland Motorsports Park ) and he can vouch for the smoothness of the circuit.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Glad to hear he is starting to abuse his tires, as he has been on a nice upward curve , speed wise, but you have to use some stuff up to see where the limits are.

I will have to remind him that reducing his car's weight by 100 lbs. will gain one about a second a lap ( rule of thumb on a 2 mile track ), so looks like he blew it with a rider of his size -----------a 1:43 was there for the taking, ha,ha!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors