The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V New member intro Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joined a little while ago and figured I'd post the year long progression of my 3v S197.

IMG_1587.jpg
Purchased my car locally from the original owner last year.

IMG_1697.jpg
IMG_1687.jpg
IMG_2013.jpg
Installed some Cortex bits and some 295 RT615k+(RS4s were on backorder...)

IMG_2009.jpg
IMG_2012.jpg
The underwhelming brakes needed some help with GT500 remans and Sal's backing plates. Ignore the tie-rod ends, they've been addressed.

IMG_2017.jpg
How the pig currently sits...

79973734-GBMD1702.JPG79973735-GBMD0334.JPG
And finally some shots of the pig at its first HPDE last October.

Welcome to TMO and it looks like you’re off to a nice start on the mods. How did you like Thunderhill?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Welcome to TMO!

With coilovers, RT615K+, and brake ducts it appears you will be at the track more than just occasionally. Since you mentioned you had reman GT500 calipers (4-piston) be careful that the recent "Remanufactured" calipers from Autozone/Cardone/etc. are not rebuilt OEM calipers but are actually new build knock-offs made in China. If the calipers are totally devoid of casting numbers on the pad sides of the caliper or the "FoMoCo" on the outside of the inner caliper then they are knock-offs. The outside of the boxes they come in usually have a very small and easy to miss "Made in China" sticker on them.

While it appears that many are using them on their daily drivers without incident, I am concerned about their strength and longevity when exposed to prolonged high temps and heat cycles on a road course. While they may fit ok, who knows what quality of aluminum and heat treatment they used in the manufacture of those calipers.

Welcome to TMO!

With coilovers, RT615K+, and brake ducts it appears you will be at the track more than just occasionally. Since you mentioned you had reman GT500 calipers (4-piston) be careful that the recent "Remanufactured" calipers from Autozone/Cardone/etc. are not rebuilt OEM calipers but are actually new build knock-offs made in China. If the calipers are totally devoid of casting numbers on the pad sides of the caliper or the "FoMoCo" on the outside of the inner caliper then they are knock-offs. The outside of the boxes they come in usually have a very small and easy to miss "Made in China" sticker on them.

While it appears that many are using them on their daily drivers without incident, I am concerned about their strength and longevity when exposed to prolonged high temps and heat cycles on a road course. While they may fit ok, who knows what quality of aluminum and heat treatment they used in the manufacture of those calipers.

Appreciate the heads-up! I made sure to, at least, acquire calipers that were stamped "FoMoCo." :) I did add the Ti shims during the upgrade as well.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Welcome to TMO!

be careful that the recent "Remanufactured" calipers from Autozone/Cardone/etc. are not rebuilt OEM calipers but are actually new build knock-offs made in China. If the calipers are totally devoid of casting numbers on the pad sides of the caliper or the "FoMoCo" on the outside of the inner caliper then they are knock-offs. The outside of the boxes they come in usually have a very small and easy to miss "Made in China" sticker on them.

I can attest to this. I recently bought a set of "Power stop" rear calipers from AM: https://www.americanmuscle.com/power-stop-performance-rear-brake-calipers-red-05114.html The slides were so bound up right out of the box that you couldnt move them. AM is sending me a replacement set but I have since seen reviews on reman. calipers with this same issue. While a replacement set is on its way, I'm not overly optimistic.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I can attest to this. I recently bought a set of "Power stop" rear calipers from AM: https://www.americanmuscle.com/power-stop-performance-rear-brake-calipers-red-05114.html The slides were so bound up right out of the box that you couldnt move them. AM is sending me a replacement set but I have since seen reviews on reman. calipers with this same issue. While a replacement set is on its way, I'm not overly optimistic.
UPDATE!
Took me 3 sets of calipers to get a decent set, and I still had to tune the pins to make them slide halfway decent. NOT RECOMMENDED.

TMO Supporting Vendors