The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

2013 #0027 Race Red
Joined today, have 2013 Race Red #0027, don't know how to insert picture. Maybe will learn someday. Need to learn more about oil change 5w-50 Motorcraft or Mobil 1?

I just joined today too so I figure I'll just piggyback this thread. John here, bought an SBY 2013 last month. Im from NY, not far from NYC. Any other Boss owners on here from the area?

Joined today, have 2013 Race Red #0027, don't know how to insert picture. Maybe will learn someday. Need to learn more about oil change 5w-50 Motorcraft or Mobil 1?

This should help...welcome.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=212.0

As far as the oil change goes, there's nothing wrong with either. If you plan on tracking the car you will be changing your oil pretty frequently anyway. I use the motor craft oil but plenty of people use Mobil 1, redline and even castrol. I've even seen some people using Amsoil 10w-40.

Welcome aboard! I use Amsoil 10w 40! After researching and seeing all the documentation about how motorcraft viscosity breaks down almost immediately I went what i believe is best!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Welcome from another fairly new member... although I don't have my car just yet (it's on order...)

Related question about the oil - what have you guys been doing for engine break in miles before changing the oil? I will likely have my new car on the track when I'm at around 1500 miles, and I would plan to do an oil change prior to that, but Ford's recommended first oil change (for non-tracked cars of course) is after something like 10k miles I have read. Obviously won't be doing that, but any issues anyone has seen with changing oil ~1500 miles in? Anyone run the car at the track with the factory oil?

zzyzx

Steve
I can't image Ford recommending 10k miles before the first oil change, let alone on the Boss.

Based on feedback here on the forum most people are doing it between 1000 and 1500 miles. I did mine @ 1500 miles.

There plenty here that go longer, also.

Maui
Welcome all new members. I used ford motorcraft 5w-50 at 1500 miles when I added an oil pressure sensor for my '12 boss (Had to tap into the engine block anyway and lost some motor oil, so why not change it?) I changed it again at 4000 miles, because about nine months had past with mobil 1 5W-50 (Stocked up 5 cases when it went on sale, about half the cost of motorcraft.) Like others have said, I think if you are tracking it hard, you'll be changing it frequently anyways.

dmichaels said:
Welcome from another fairly new member... although I don't have my car just yet (it's on order...)

Related question about the oil - what have you guys been doing for engine break in miles before changing the oil? I will likely have my new car on the track when I'm at around 1500 miles, and I would plan to do an oil change prior to that, but Ford's recommended first oil change (for non-tracked cars of course) is after something like 10k miles I have read. Obviously won't be doing that, but any issues anyone has seen with changing oil ~1500 miles in? Anyone run the car at the track with the factory oil?
Broke mine in this way: http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm Changed mine at 1000 and went to the track. I've also seen a couple owned by a Ford engineer that went straight to the track and haven't even seen the street.....track only. I change oil about every 3-4 track days.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel