The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello BMO members, I'm new here and pretty new to the Boss community as well. I found this website from another member at SVTp. My name is Chris, currently living in the NOVA area and am a new owner of a 2013 PW Boss 302 #1202. Here is a quick rundown of what has been done in the last month or so of purchasing it in late May. I bought it as an early birthday (29MAY) present to myself. Many of the following photos were taken with an iphone or 35mm canon rebel EOS. I'm still debating on what kind of SLR to get lol

This photo is a picture that highly influenced my buy. It's a photo of one of the many dozen mustangs my father owned. If i remember correctly the photo said '83 mustang on it. I know that there were no offical fox body Boss' but I do know that Ford advertised the "Boss" logo a lot in that time.
9166630424_113eff6465.jpg
11 by svtjocson, on Flickr

The autotrader ad I saw a couple days before buying
9164407391_7a43a671ac.jpg
18 by svtjocson, on Flickr

First mod 5% rear and 1/4 windows 35% side windows. These two pictures were taken at the Ronald Reagan Airport parking garage. The only time I have an issue seeing through the back is when I'm wearing sunglasses :coolman:
9166629686_ceb350bd7c.jpg
20 by svtjocson, on Flickr
9164407779_19842c02eb.jpg
15 by svtjocson, on Flickr

The next day I had the restrictor plates removed
9164407631_2330abb582.jpg 11
by svtjocson, on Flickr

Along with the faux foglights. I Noticed a slight drop in inlet temp with these removed
9164407363_194aa48c40.jpg
19 by svtjocson, on Flickr

Forgot to mention that I picked one of these up earlier that day :banana: Still trying to figure out the remote though
9166629994_1cbf11e8cf.jpg
17 by svtjocson, on Flickr

About a week later I received my SHR push start button. Not really necessary but why not. The 12V in the center of the dash was pointless to me anyways
9164408001_305cb0182a.jpg
12 by svtjocson, on Flickr

If you plan on doing this mod. CJ pony parts ha a great install video on youtube. Also Marcello from SHR is great source if you have any trouble with the process :beer:
9164407843_d22c9ec558.jpg
13 by svtjocson, on Flickr

Getting a quick wash. The push start remains illuminated with the keys in and e-brake engauged.
9166629628_89486906df.jpg
21 by svtjocson, on Flickr
9166602678_fa8a199e3a.jpg
9 by svtjocson, on Flickr

SVTP sticker arrived with my t-shirt and key chain
9164408039_0bd2a31641.jpg 12
by svtjocson, on Flickr

This mod was done about 4 days ago in my apartment parking lot. The hobby shop on base was packed so I had no other choice. Unbolting the clamps...
9164379933_fb78411360.jpg
1 by svtjocson, on Flickr
9166602884_72d6280a48.jpg
3 by svtjocson, on Flickr

Stock mufflers removed
9164379861_bf6ec3fea9.jpg
2 by svtjocson, on Flickr

OEM 2012 GT500 mufflers I bought from Vic2186. Muffler face coated with high temp black paint
9164380019_d2319b6c80.jpg
4 by svtjocson, on Flickr

Install on the car :rockon: Like a member previously stated. The car now sounds like it has exhuast "surround sound" the side exhaust and rear exhaust sound identical.
9166602722_23f38861fe.jpg
5 by svtjocson, on Flickr

Last but not least, changing the intake
9164379785_787f1ca34d.jpg
6 by svtjocson, on Flickr

9166602664_cfc78972a0.jpg
7 by svtjocson, on Flickr

This is a K&N cold air series 63-2578
Check out this thread about it on the BOSS302forum K&N 63 Series AirCharger® High Performance Air Intakes - Intake & Exhaust - Boss 302 Forum
I got a really good deal on it from a local advanced auto parts store.
9166602962_9928a59e42.jpg
8 by svtjocson, on Flickr

And here is how the car sits now. I have a Roush side panel splitter sitting in storage. But I'll hold that until I get the front splash gaurds and Roush side rear splitters.
9164379827_ce62d916a7.jpg
10 by svtjocson, on Flickr

In about a month I'm going to order:
Appearance; MMD hood struts, JLT front/rear cf mudflaps, JLT side rear cf splitter, RTR license plate insert
Susension: Boss 302 Ford Racing lowering springs
Performance; Airaid PJ cf MXP with blue synthamax filter, Ford Racing 84.5mm tb, undecided oil separator, undecided headers, magnaflow comp catback with side exhaust catless x-pipe, kooks side exhaust and last but not least an SCT X3 with tunes from Shaun at AED. I'm still learning about these cars everyday. It's a whole different animal compared to the other mustangs I used to own. Let me know what you think about the mod list. My limit is around $5,000 in mods. Unfortunately the parts market in our cars are very limited so I'll have to buy 90% of the parts brand new. BTW selling the K&N intake and GT500 axle back. I'm open to reconstructive critisism. Also I'd like to give a shout out to you guys. So far out of all the car communities this is the best and most informative. It's pretty darn close to the terminator guys

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^Me too. And welcome to BMO.

For the DSLR body...get the cheapest one that does what you want. The next 'best camera' body is always around the corner. Spend the money on lenses. I'm partial to Canon...mainly because I live about 10 minutes from the west coast service center.

Looking good and welcome to BMO!

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Welcome, love the white Boss's. I must admit I lurk around other forums, the SVT site is good. I like their road kill or whatever they call it. I guy posting from New York or somewhere. I went for a drive in my 13 GT500 and found my self on a open road in Mexico with a guy in a GTR next to me. Cracks me up.
Anyways this is the best site for Boss's lots of good info especially for making modifications and track use. Enjoy.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Great choice in boss color :) I am in the navy too stationed in norfolk. about to transfer to Indianapolis. Good mods. I used to have the GT500 mufflers too. I have been through a few sets of exhaust. finally found the one. American racing headers off road x with boss side pipe kick outs and magnaflow comp cat back. sounds like you have similar tastes in exhaust lol

Justin

Justin

oh and get a shifter in the car makes a world of difference. I prefer the MGW but FR/Barton makes a great one as well thats easier to install vs the mgw.

Jason said:
Welcom, I actually saw this post on SVTperformance, but am not a member on that forum. Nice tasefull mods so far. I really like th push button start. Congrats on the new BOSS!
Thanks. Yeah the push button was done mainly because I never use the 12V anyways

Grant 302 said:
^Me too. And welcome to BMO.

For the DSLR body...get the cheapest one that does what you want. The next 'best camera' body is always around the corner. Spend the money on lenses. I'm partial to Canon...mainly because I live about 10 minutes from the west coast service center.
I bias to Canon because I've using the same 35mm Canon since photography class in high school. Digital SLR's are a little intimidating. I'll pick up a beginners kit and work from there

NFSBOSS said:
Looking good and welcome to BMO!
Thanks man

max5ive0 said:
Welcome to BMO from another squid!
Hooyah!

Domestic Product said:
Welcome, love the white Boss's. I must admit I lurk around other forums, the SVT site is good. I like their road kill or whatever they call it. I guy posting from New York or somewhere. I went for a drive in my 13 GT500 and found my self on a open road in Mexico with a guy in a GTR next to me. Cracks me up.
Anyways this is the best site for Boss's lots of good info especially for making modifications and track use. Enjoy.
haha yeah. I go on SVTp for parts and entertainment. The dudes there are hilarious! This website by far has been the most informative website for the Boss mustangs. Most of the cars on here are just well done!

Flyboygsxr said:
Good to be here

Boss949 said:
Chris,

Good to see you over here. You'll enjoy this forum for sure.
Yeah I wish I could have found this site sooner lol

PeteInCT said:
Welcome ! Nice to see the ponies run in your family !

-Pete
Oh yeah, my dad has owned over 20. Multiple times growing up, I remember driving with my dad to meet up with another mustang owner. And we would (I'm guessing) do a clean swap of cars/titles and drive home in a different 60's mustang. Dont think I'll be getting rid of this Boss though ;)

Justin said:
Great choice in boss color :) I am in the navy too stationed in norfolk. about to transfer to Indianapolis. Good mods. I used to have the GT500 mufflers too. I have been through a few sets of exhaust. finally found the one. American racing headers off road x with boss side pipe kick outs and magnaflow comp cat back. sounds like you have similar tastes in exhaust lol

Justin
Justin said:
oh and get a shifter in the car makes a world of difference. I prefer the MGW but FR/Barton makes a great one as well thats easier to install vs the mgw.
Nice man what's your rate?
Sounds like a mean exhaust set-up. I'm still debating on what headers to go with... And with the shifter, how short does it make the shifts? I test drove a '12 race red and it's shifter was just waaaaaaaaaaay too short. I mean I could tell what gear I was in. I didnt like that too much

Justin

USNjocson said:
Nice man what's your rate?
Sounds like a mean exhaust set-up. I'm still debating on what headers to go with... And with the shifter, how short does it make the shifts? I test drove a '12 race red and it's shifter was just waaaaaaaaaaay too short. I mean I could tell what gear I was in. I didnt like that too much
I am a FC1.
I don't know what the throw is on the MGW. Feels great to me just slightly shorter then stock. the gates are the same distance apart. the barton has the shortest throw I do believe. Before I got it I kept finding 5th instead of 3rd. Had to shift slow and deliberate at the drag strip because of this. The main benefit of the MGW is the centering spring and the elimination of the rear sloppy mount to a more crisp feeling two post set up. Just give their video a look and you can see why the stock shifter is so flawed.

http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter-instructional_videos.shtml

I would go with the American Racing Headers set up if you can. I have installed a few sets and they were the easiest by far to install and they sound great. You can get an x-pipe that retains the side exhaust as well. JBA was the worst to install, pypes brand isn't to awful but I dont like how the collector bolts up.

For cameras I have a Canon T3i rebel DSLR and its pretty user friendly. Takes better pictures than I surely know how.

Justin said:
I am a FC1.
I don't know what the throw is on the MGW. Feels great to me just slightly shorter then stock. the gates are the same distance apart. the barton has the shortest throw I do believe. Before I got it I kept finding 5th instead of 3rd. Had to shift slow and deliberate at the drag strip because of this. The main benefit of the MGW is the centering spring and the elimination of the rear sloppy mount to a more crisp feeling two post set up. Just give their video a look and you can see why the stock shifter is so flawed.

http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter-instructional_videos.shtml

I would go with the American Racing Headers set up if you can. I have installed a few sets and they were the easiest by far to install and they sound great. You can get an x-pipe that retains the side exhaust as well. JBA was the worst to install, pypes brand isn't to awful but I dont like how the collector bolts up.

For cameras I have a Canon T3i rebel DSLR and its pretty user friendly. Takes better pictures than I surely know how.
Good to know. As long at the throw isn't drastically shortened like that Boss I test drove. I swear the throw was less than a flick of the wrist! and I saw your sound clip in the "what did you do to your Boss today" thread. The idle was healthy and sounded beastly at only 3000rpms. As of now magnaflow is the only brand I could find that has a x/h pipe compatible catback. American racing headers, jegs cat delete, magnaflow comp catback and kooks side exhaust. Should be interesting

TMO Supporting Vendors