The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Motor. CJ setup. 555rwhp/424tq.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd love to see you break 2:00 on VIR full with that monster. I hope your tires are wide enough for that power.

Swiss Boss said:
Are you still using the MMR cam fully locked? Or Livernois design something special for you?

Still using the same cams. Livernois is working on their own lockouts but they weren't ready in time. Probably this fall I will do another custom grind.
Since the heads actually had new CNC clearance for these cams I probably can do a non-drop-in cam grind that will fit with some more duration and same lift.
I kept the mmr lockouts because of reduced mass (combo limiter/lockout).

further said:
I'd love to see you break 2:00 on VIR full with that monster. I hope your tires are wide enough for that power.

Yeah, its going to happen. The car technically could do 1:59's with the previous setup, but would be weight limited. Now, its probably capable of 1:56-1:57's

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
DG#56 said:
Here are some pics of the engine.

First birthday!
engine1.jpg

Piston bling (Diamond pistons)
engine3.jpg

Big Bore coyote
engine5.jpg

Ported, Polished, Bowled, Hogged, <insert term here>
engine6.jpg

Day of pain.....
engine7.jpg

DG56:

I see why your last pic is described as "Day of pain", but looking at the above, your Day of pain will soon be your Day of Joy, and I am very happy for you.

Everything included in this build is first class all the way and the workmanship on those cylinder heads as evident in the polish of the ports and bowls is equally first class.

There are many components to making power from an IC engine, but to me it's all about flow and cylinder heads are paramount to this objective. Can you give me an idea of the cam grind they are using for both sides? In terms of lift, (at 0.050), duration, and overlap?

Just one last question, I understand that your builder is still working out the PCM tune, but can you give me an idea of the initial, and total timing advance?

With the initial specs given, this engine will be a rocket out of the corners. Great thread, and thanks so much for sharing your build.

All the Best,
Dave
302 HP

Thanks Dave. It has been a long journey. Since last October. Much of it is documented elsewhere.

The cams I had initially and were the cause of much concern depending who you ask. They were new and not publicly released when I bought them.

Lift is: .561 .565
Dur @ .050 .232 .232
Dur @ .006 tappet lift 271 275

A lot of people say that with high RPMs in these motors duration will outperform lift.
I really don't know. I do know that it partly depends on the lobe design and these have a very aggressive ramping lobe hence the need for proper springs.

I'm not sure adding duration to the above numbers will improve performance with the already super high lift. You can't just keep bumping the numbers up I guess. Any advice appreciated.

my goodness. crazy that the engine has that much in it on not-too-exotic fuel. even the pump gas numbers are a little numbing.

can someone explain the vct/cam lock out thing? I was under the impression that VCT can do some pretty amazing stuff for the powerband (area under the curve).

I designed the power curve so I actually WOULDN'T have the max power at low rpm so I don't flame out on corner exit. I get enough power on exit but it spreads it's wings shortly after that.

16532732143_b60df6aaef_h.jpg

I got all spherical rear suspension. Zero pinion angle and I might experiment with bottom hole in LCAs. Max aero. And 315 world challenge slicks in back. Grand am dampers. Max lowered. So I got the most grip I can get.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Darren: Be careful with that lower hole on the LCAs. It is great for low speed traction events but during high speed cornering (at least in my case) made the car extremely tail-happy due to the roll-oversteer tendencies. (A stiffer setup than my current 515/230 spring rate might not be as sensitive to this).

I only found that lowest hole useful on a short 1.1 mile track where top speed is about 110mph, and only one fast corner. At VIR and other tracks where you have high-speed corners I think you will be at a disadvantage. I tried the lower hole at a tight, but faster track and the car was all over the place.

Try it and find out what works for you--but be careful.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Darren: Be careful with that lower hole on the LCAs. It is great for low speed traction events but during high speed cornering (at least in my case) made the car extremely tail-happy due to the roll-oversteer tendencies. (A stiffer setup than my current 515/230 spring rate might not be as sensitive to this).

I only found that lowest hole useful on a short 1.1 mile track where top speed is about 110mph, and only one fast corner. At VIR and other tracks where you have high-speed corners I think you will be at a disadvantage. I tried the lower hole at a tight, but faster track and the car was all over the place.

Try it and find out what works for you--but be careful.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I will have "very" constrained testing with it before deciding if it works with my setup. The relo brackets I use have some built in wheelbase extension as well. Also I'm running staggered tires so I got meat in back. I'll take it REAL slow. It definitely will require more attention and may not even prove beneficial.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I had the opposite experience with my setup…I was in the middle hole and the car was really tail happy. Moved it to the bottom hole and now rear grip is 100% better. The car just goes out of corners. I am pedal to the floor mid corner. I know there are so many other factors that play into this but on my setup the bottom hole in the LCA relocation bracket worked best for me.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel