The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NEW OWNERS-----Tighten your lug nuts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
Just FYI. On page 22 of the Boss 302 Supplement it states you should retighten your lug nuts @ 500 Miles.

Man, am I glad I checked! Was nice here in Seattle so I thought lets go for a ride, and decided to just check them before we left. Sure enough, the rear wheels on both sides were loose. Fronts were fine.

Check them to be safe!!!

Cheers!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Nah. Ya think ?? ;D

You should check your lug nuts very frequently, especially with temp changes. If you track your car you should check after each run, at least until you get to know how it reacts to extreme temp shifts.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I believe the manual states 98 or 100 lbs, I don't recall exactly. I do remember it's above the 90 lbs that my Audi's were spec'd at. It is in the manual...

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
ArizonaGT, agree, the burnouts by the dealer plus everyone knows that RACE RED is the most powerfull and fastest color ;).

Torque value is 100 ft. lbs. per the Boss Supplement. Think a lower value is stated in the regular manual.

Always check my lugs BEFORE each session when the wheels are cool. Don't want to over torque when the wheels are hot after a session. Good habit to form.

Cheers!

GA
ShaneM said:
if you track the car, check it after each session. I've had them loosen to the tune of 50ft/lb during a session.

It sounds like you were driving the wheels off your car - almost literally ;)

Bossfan said:
Why would the need for retightening lugnuts on a Boss 302 be any different than the needs for any other car? Is there a technical reason here?

No, unless you track the car or really drive crazy on the street and heat up the brakes more then normal.

I was surprised at the way one of the mechanics torqued the lugs on one of Roush cars. He did it very fast while the cars was rocking back and forth. I get someone to hold the car at the track or let it roll forward before I do the torque, it was interesting to see this.

TMO Supporting Vendors