The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Plugs - Rough Idle with Misfires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Texas
Coyote cognoscenti, regarding my 2014 GT with 25K on the clock:

Background: With the AC on, when the compressor cycles on, there is a drop of 250 RPM, but the car felt like it was strugglling a little to regain RPMs. A friend suggested new plugs (the car previously ran on California gas).

Issue: We replaced the factory plugs with Motorcraft units, and immediately she idled roughly. We connected a scan tool (Snap On), and witnessed misfires on cylinders one and three (only at low RPMs). No codes present and no CEL.

I will appreciate your thoughts on why this happened.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Texas
Did you check the gap on the new plugs?

check all the connections at the coils.

Have you driven it yet!
I am 90% confident that the gap is correct on all of the plugs. I will verify.

Checking the coil connections right away.

She runs great off idle. Yay!

I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes hoping to force a relearn. No improvement.

Did you do an idle relearn procedure? It has more steps than just disconnecting the battery.
1. Discharge computer system
2. Reconnect battery
3. Set parking brake
4. Park (AT), Neutral (MT)
5. Start engine and run with no accessories on until it's at temperature for at least one minute
6. Turn on the A/C and let the idle run for another minute (calculates the drag on the system to keep idle stable)
7. Drive vehicle normally for 10+ miles
If it's just your idle that choppy and it otherwise runs fine, give that a shot.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Texas
It turns out that four of the plugs were improperly boxed. Sigh.

The idle relearn and new, correct plugs have helped with the compressor-on stumble, which now occurs every third cycle on.

Thank you all again for your help!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Texas
Yea…. With new parts a trust but verify approach is a good idea. Did they send the right part?? You have to check behind everyone unfortunately
Yep. Will do that moving forward. Interestingly, the individual boxes showed no signs of being previously opened...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel