The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New potential buyer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am in the market for a 2013 Boss 302. By "in the market" I mean that I am seriously considering and financially capable of ordering the vehicle.
Since dealers, understandably, do not allow test drives with this very special vehicle, I am seeking a current owner of a 2012 Boss 302 who might 'show' and discuss the car. I would not expect to drive the car but merely to get a sense, or at least confirm, that this is the car that I would want have and drive/drive/drive. I put a lot of faith in reviewing a car with an enthusiast/owner instead of a salesperson.
For me, a Boss 302 would be strictly a 'summer car' being that I live in Michigan and I do not expect to take it to a1/4 mile track. (but maybe a drive around MIS)
Anyone out there relatively close by (200 miles) to Troy, Michigan that might show me his/her Boss 302?
NOte: this is not a lead-in to steal your car but from one enthusiast to another. Tom...

hey bossfan not sure but i think you can go to millersport raceway in utah and drive one with acorse and instructor for a day for 1k.

Bossfan,
At the very least go to the dealership and test drive a 6speed 5.0 GT to get a good basic sense of the car.......thats what I did...drove a grabber blue GT and was really impressed and bought my race red BOSS and I am glad I did...heck, there should be used 2012 BOSS Mustangs itching, or should I say chompin' at the bit, for a test drive!
BOSS2664

BOSS2664 said:
Bossfan,
At the very least go to the dealership and test drive a 6speed 5.0 GT to get a good basic sense of the car.......thats what I did...drove a grabber blue GT and was really impressed and bought my race red BOSS and I am glad I did...heck, there should be used 2012 BOSS Mustangs itching, or should I say chompin' at the bit, for a test drive!
BOSS2664
Better yet try and drive a Roush Stage 2 which has suspension mods that will feel more similar to a Boss 302. You can drive mine if you're going to be in California.

The Boss cars at MMP are strictly for BTA. They use modified pre 2010 GT's for the normal driving school.

98RedGT

2012 #552
Bossfan, I never test drove anything before I got mine. Mine is a summer car as well and might take it around the track a few times but nothing serious. Mine came all the way from Texas after I paid for it in full. No regrets, the car is like nothing else. You will not be disappointed.

I would help you out if I was a little closer. I'm on the other side of Chicago. I agree with what the others have said too. If you can't find anyone close who is willing to help out, try finding a dealer with a new GT or Roush(preferably) that you would be able to drive to get a feel for what the Boss is like. Personally I ordered mine without ever driving a new Mustang at all. I had an '06 GT, so I sort of new what to expect, but the 5.0 is a different beast in that regard.

The Boss is a wonderful car and if you're looking for a 2012, you should be able to get a great deal on one currently. Good luck!

BUY ONE, DRIVE ONE, AND YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK.
I have owned , 04 Mach 1, 70 Boss, 95 GT 5.0
and many others I cannot mention here, THERE is nothing that compares to the power, ride, suspension, sound you get from this car. I picked mine up, and never test drove it, except to the house..LOL.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Same here - I never got time behind the wheel before buying my LS. I was VERY close to pulling the trigger on a used Porsche GT3 or a new Cayman R. I test drove a GT and to be honest was not that impressed, but I think that's becuase I had a good imprint in my mind of what I was expecting based on details of all the reviews. That said, when I drove home the LS (and got it out of transport mode ;-) it was obvious that it was going to be more than I even expected. Once I got about 300 miles on her she opened up even more. Then you add the track key and it puts the icing on the cake. Whether you intend on tracking the car or not, you can't go wrong with this thing.

I can only back up what the others have said. I have 3 friends plus myself who own these cars and I can tell you not one is disappointed in the overall car. A couple have started heavy mods for the track and a couple are close to bone stock. If you were near I would let you drive mine ( several people have and then purchased one). Take a trip to San Antonio for a break in the winter andcome test drive mine.

I'm sure there is one closer to you. I'm in Columbus OH and my car is in hibernation. A '12+ Boss 302 belongs up there among car enthusiasts; save for a very picky few. It will never be any of the semi exotic, the exotic, and the ultra, so unless you come from those, it is unlikely you'd be disappointed with a Boss 302.

I have to agree with the others that no test drive is needed. I understand how you feel so go ahead and drive a GT and then add 5 awesome s to it to get the feel of the new Boss. I have an 06 Steeda prepared GT that I take on the track and the Boss is so much more car. Like everyone else I am way to far away in Virginia to help.

Thanks, everyone for your helpful comment. I have ordered a 2013 today. Now you are all responsible for my liking it but as you all know you are not the least bit concerned. ;D
I will be posting updates at another post location. 8)

TMO Supporting Vendors