The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Review for 2013 Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can someone point me towards the part this commentator was remarking on? The 2-3 shift is an issue I'd like resolved. Thanks

"The second area the review is off-base about is the shifter action. Puttering around town it's fine, but when pushing the car at high RPM it gets balky and can be hard to find the gates, especially the 2-3 upshift. The primary problem is the extremely flimsy/flexy factory shifter bushing that mounts the rear of the shifter housing to the trans tunnel under the car. I cant believe Ford allowed the car out of the factory with this crappy part. Fortunately, there's a (relatively) inexpensive and easy-DIY fix for this in several aftermarket billet aluminum/urethane shifter bushing replacements that completely fix this problem."

This is the one you want but you might also consider an MGW shifter that has this style bracket built in.

http://www.bartonindustries.com/Shifter-hanger.html

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Cartman said:
Can someone point me towards the part this commentator was remarking on? The 2-3 shift is an issue I'd like resolved. Thanks

"The second area the review is off-base about is the shifter action. Puttering around town it's fine, but when pushing the car at high RPM it gets balky and can be hard to find the gates, especially the 2-3 upshift. The primary problem is the extremely flimsy/flexy factory shifter bushing that mounts the rear of the shifter housing to the trans tunnel under the car. I cant believe Ford allowed the car out of the factory with this crappy part. Fortunately, there's a (relatively) inexpensive and easy-DIY fix for this in several aftermarket billet aluminum/urethane shifter bushing replacements that completely fix this problem."

I don't believe the bushings are the only issue with the stock shifter. I also think that all of the issues that have been experienced by forum members can be addressed by even the MGW. That said, I would seriously consider the MGW (although the cost is more and the lead time availability seems to be in the 3 to 4 week range recently). My personal experince was that 5 to 3 and 5 to 4 shifts were almost impossible at the track at high revs. For me, the MGW solved all issues. I've had it in for almost 20 track days and have not had one non-operator induced shift issue since I installed it.

Hello,

Yes, by all accounts the MGW shifter sounds like a great upgrade. After experiencing shifter problems and reading the forums after getting my car, I decided to take an incremental approach and went with a Barton bushing/bracket initially to see if that would help. Only done one track day so far, but it sure seems to have fixed the balky shifter issues for me. No more missed gates or shifts or general balkiness under load. But I'm sure the MGW shifter would be a solid upgrade...it's on my list of potential mods, and will go to the top if I experience more shifter issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors