The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New rotor/pad bedding doesn't look good

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Hey guys,I took the car out before to first season the rotors then to bed in the pads,
did the same early this year with the stock rotors but when I did it with the new DBAs
doesn't seem the same! I reused the rst2 in front and paired new r29s with the rear.
The passenger side(especially) has grooves when I run my nail across.
I've seen threads on bad bedding but with the grooves in the rotor did I do something
wrong(obviously)?? Sorry the red is reflection of my shirt..
Thanks Rob
1E07FFEA-258E-4A50-810D-F15589492450.png
5EAE6C60-6C5F-4510-9C3E-B0D13D87FD72.jpg
1363F92B-5E14-4E95-BE79-1CB75E974D42.png
0497E896-8522-4312-A541-B09E52C0E479.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
If I read that correctly you reused your old pads on the front correct? If that is the case your old pads had conformed to your old rotors which in turn caused a similar wear pattern to occur on your new rotors. Simply put your used pads were grooved so they grooved your new rotors when you did the bedding procedure.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Thanks...Ya that's what I did,they all say mat old with new so I only had 2 track days on the pads
so I reused em. Should I take them off and sand both rotor/pad? Any advice,thanks

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Few questions first:

1. Is your car mostly a daily driver, garage queen, or track machine?
2. I'm not really familiar with the RST2 pads…I am assuming they are more of a high performance street pad and not an aggressive race pad similar to a Hawk DTC70?

Flyboygsxr said:
As long as there are not vibrations or abnormalities I would leave them alone.
This. They look fine to me. One session on track will have them matched up just fine.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
NFSBOSS said:
This. They look fine to me. One session on track will have them matched up just fine.

Thanks Rick, I was hoping you would answer cause you've run them before.
I just didn't like feelin the dam grooves. I'll work em out at Watkins on Mon
Thanks Rob

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Looks fine to me. I've had the same thing on my rotors. Never had any issues develop on the fronts. Cracked a rear rotor but not as a result of groovieness

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel