The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New running gear

I had the running gear changed out at Power by the Hour last week. McLeod aluminum flywheel ,McLeod RXT twin disc clutch, sfi bell housing, Tremec Magnum XL trans, 2.97 first gear, Dynatech drive shaft, 3;31 Rear gear. OMG ;D This is what Ford should have done from day one. This car will be the Beta 1 test track car with twin turbos as we move foward on this project. Thanks to Jake Long from PBTH, and Ken Bjonnes at Lund Racing.
 

Sesshomurai

That's the drivetrain conversion I'll end up doing. How do you like the RXT clutch? How does it compare to stock pedal feel? Does it have a low engage point?
 
DGRacing said:
That's the drivetrain conversion I'll end up doing. How do you like the RXT clutch? How does it compare to stock pedal feel? Does it have a low engage point?
Darren, The pedal feel and engagement point are the same as stock. But, the RXT is a better clutch for sure.
 
TMSBOSS
Yes the clutch is very quiet. The only noise that is a bit objectionable, is that the starter resonates louder through the steel SFI bellhousing on startup. Other then that the entire drive trane is quiet.

The good news is that 1st gear is actually useable now, and smoother when starting out from a stop . No additional throttle needed. No bucking and jerking and clutch manipulation. It just idles away.
 

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
521
0
Re: Re: New running gear

daddyfixer said:
TMSBOSS
Yes the clutch is very quiet. The only noise that is a bit objectionable, is that the starter resonates louder through the steel SFI bellhousing on startup. Other then that the entire drive trane is quiet.

The good news is that 1st gear is actually useable now, and smoother when starting out from a stop . No additional throttle needed. No bucking and jerking and clutch manipulation. It just idles away.
Id love to drive that, What hp/trq is that rated at like 700?
Id love to get to conpare that side by side with mine for RPMs 60Fts,and et in 1/4,
Even though car wasent made for 1/4,id still like to get a comparison..
 

Sesshomurai

daddyfixer said:
TMSBOSS
Yes the clutch is very quiet. The only noise that is a bit objectionable, is that the starter resonates louder through the steel SFI bellhousing on startup. Other then that the entire drive trane is quiet.

The good news is that 1st gear is actually useable now, and smoother when starting out from a stop . No additional throttle needed. No bucking and jerking and clutch manipulation. It just idles away.

This is when you startup the car? So it's not a noise during shifting or driving then?
 

Sesshomurai

steveespo said:
Darren
What do you care about NVH you are creating a B-52 bomber? ;D
Steve

Omg. Thats funny. Well all i can say is there are welcomed NVH and unwelcomed NVH. Im ocd about the unwelcomed kind. :eek:
 
daddyfixer said:
I had the running gear changed out at Power by the Hour last week. Mcloud aluminum flywheel , RXT twin disc clutch, sfi bell housing, Tremec Magnum XL trans, 2.97 first gear, Dynatech drive shaft, 3;31 Rear gear. OMG ;D This is what Ford should have done from day one.

Good to hear you are pleased with the setup. Our Yellow Bosses will be twins since I ordered the same exact setup as you - except completely different :eek: Exedy steel flywheel , Exedy twin disc clutch, Tremec Magnum XL 2.66 first gear, Axle Exchange 4" drive shaft, 3:73 Rear gear for now, maybe a 3:55 swap later. I took your advise and ordered the trans from JPC, but bought the clutch from Rehagan. Need to figure out the tune next, then count the days till I can drive it.
 

Sesshomurai

2012YellowBoss said:
Good to hear you are pleased with the setup. Our Yellow Bosses will be twins since I ordered the same exact setup as you - except completely different :eek: Exedy steel flywheel , Exedy twin disc clutch, Tremec Magnum XL 2.66 first gear, Axle Exchange 4" drive shaft, 3:73 Rear gear for now, maybe a 3:55 swap later. I took your advise and ordered the trans from JPC, but bought the clutch from Rehagan. Need to figure out the tune next, then count the days till I can drive it.

Which clutch did you get exactly?
 
Scott, good to hear that your getting the plan together.
I think that you might like the 2:66 low gear better than the 2:97 that is in mine.
Steve and Darren, For the other questions, Starter amplification thru bellhousing , only on start up. LMAO No noise during shifting and driving.
mcLeod RXT twin disc clutch rated @ 800 hp +
 
Re: Re: New running gear

unrealford said:
Id love to drive that, What hp/trq is that rated at like 700?
Id love to get to conpare that side by side with mine for RPMs 60Fts,and et in 1/4,
Even though car wasent made for 1/4,id still like to get a comparison..
Although my car is not set up for the 1/4, I will enter it at the NMRA event at commerce in Atlanta in April. Probably in the true street class just to get the numbers.
 
DGRacing said:
Which clutch did you get exactly?

ET03SD and FWIW the Rehagan price is 600 or more lower then anyone else right now. Dean talked me into the duel disc clutch, said it is "better in every way" over the single disc clutch and with his price it was a no-brainer. This is my first multiplate clutch and many people say the multiplate is only needed for high HP but Dean has built many race cars and knows what he is talking about. Some if not all CTSCC teams are running the single EH04SD1, they say it is bullet proof and more then I need however they run the single disc due to rules.

The ET04SD will work with the MT82 trans and is highly recommended by Rehagen to help fix the shifting problems while retaining the MT-82.

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/Multiplate-Clutch-8-bolt-26-Spline-ET03SD.htm
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top