The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NEW SHOES!...305 all around!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Since I started selling Team Dynamic wheels, I have been selling more than I am getting in, which is great!...but it left me without an example of the final product for my own car. Well, I got a couple sets of silver last month and nobody wants them, so I took the opportunity to keep a set for myself. I picked up some Continental GT-O 305/660R18 and had them mounted. I know from testing, that 305 on a +45 18x10 would be a tight squeeze, but here is proof positive:
nipi.jpg

I have recommended to my customers, that they use a 10-15mm spacer up front to avoid the sway bar link stud with tires over 285 wide and now you can see why. I also recommend the spacer for -2.0 and up camber. It brings the top of the tire back to flush with the wheel lip and adds additional track width up front where its needed the most.

I run -2.5 degrees and use a 15mm H&R spacer (also available through Blowfish) on my stock 19x9's to make it look right and have utilized them to get the tire away from the stud for these TD wheels. this is what it looks like:
70ww.jpg

jqdo.jpg

the back is the perfect fit with a +45:
4n8m.jpg

the front shows it sticking out a bit, but that's not accurate. I had just put them on and set it down. it takes a little driving to settle the suspension which will bring the top of the tire in a bit and make it near flush.
c08f.jpg

cant decide if I like the silver or want to plastidip them black? I really liked the Knight Rider theme my prototype black wheels had.

FWIW I think the black with the muted silver looks great as is, I also like the fact that the tire is even with the fender lips, do you think you will have to roll them? Any need to trim that stud?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the pic of the stud was prior to the spacer being added, so there's plenty of room now. there is no lip to roll on these fenders, so no, it won't need anything. I will prove it out on Saturday at Summit Point!

Bay Area
JMO - but the silver looks good on your car. Thanks for the info on the set up also. I only went with18x9.5 40mm offset & 275s on mine because I wasnt too sure how wide I could go.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
ArizonaGT said:
Actually great news, I was wondering if the Conti 305s would fit on a 10" wheel.

Been running them since last year. No issues. Slightly pinched on the 10" wheel... but not bad at all.

oh man, i'm kicking myself for not contacting you again about the wheels!
another vendor checked with TD and they told me they had none in stock. so, i didn't want to bother you...blah :(

btw, those look great Steve. Does this mean you're going to make it to this friday's FATTat summit?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
As far as I know, I am the only one in the us that orders this particular size with the mustang lug pattern and offset, although any dealer can order what you ask for, and you can wait about 3 months;)

You definitely should have called me!

I can't make it Friday, but will be there Saturday with SCCA. Not instructing. I signed up for club trials just to give myself the cheapest track time possible.

Sweet!! Very nice color combo.

Can't wait to get mine 8)

So do you still recommend the spacer for a 295 tire and -2 camber on bolt?

If yes what kind of spacer are you selling?

The one that bolt to the hub and then the wheel bold to the spacer or the spacer is in sandwich between the hub and wheel with longer stud?

I have got the ARP stud and don't really want to change them.

You can always trim the stud too to avoid running a spacer. Those contis look good. Let us know what pressures you end up running. I have the same set sitting in the garage waiting for nt01s to wear out.

If only TD made a wider setup...

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Camber bolts are a mixed bag. Some end up bringing the strut too close to the tire, some don't.

I sell the h&r and eibach, but generally like the h&r better, as they offer the 15mm. They come with longer studs so they slide on rather than the ones that bolt to your existing studs and have their own set. Those generally start at 20-25mm.

It's true that TD maxes out at 18x10, but if you can't make the car turn with 305's all around, you are doing something wrong!

pufferfish said:
It's true that TD maxes out at 18x10, but if you can't make the car turn with 305's all around, you are doing something wrong!

Agreed, but it's the 305 tire sitting on the 10" wheel that disrupts my inner feng shui. 305s are perfect on 11" width wheels.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i agree. 11" would be excellent with a 305. although i don't think i am going to be wondering why i didn't stick with a 285 on this wheel. i think the section width will have a greater impact than the less than ideal bead position relative to the edge of the tread.

one thing i was not prepared for is the fact that once you go over 295 wide, the conti's run wider than hoosiers. i expected to get a 20mm bump going from the r6 285 to the gt-o 305, but in fact, i gained 28mm! when i noticed the rather large difference in physical size, i looked at the specs. get this...the 305 gt-o has a 12" tread width. the 315 r6 is 11.8"! so, this thread also proves a 315 hoosier will fit without the extensive front end modifications cortex is claiming!

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Steve:

Really like the silver wheels on your car! Please give us a report after you run the 305's on the track. Really interested in your feedback.

Wayne

TMO Supporting Vendors