The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New speakers on order today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I used the cheaper alternitive, the MTX thunderform. Doesn't look as nice as the JL and I'm sure it doesn't sound as nice, but I'm happy with it. I'll swap the sub speaker with something better in summer. I also have everything stashed in the sparetire well, great hiding place, no holes drilled. One thing I did notice with it being installed in there is heat does build up during the summer months when when you crank it up. Congrates on the new system.

I contacted JL audio about replacement speakers for the Boss. They told me that replacing only the speakers might sound worse becuase the radio was designed to equalize the cheap speakers that Ford installed. Then I talked to another guy from JL and he disagreed and told me the speakers would be a great improvement. Please confirm if you are happy with the results of a speaker only swap.

Both JL reps are correct for different reasons. If you only replace the speakers you will find little improvement because the JL speakers can handle many more watts, have bigger magnets, and will be power hungry. The factory head unit alone does not have the watt output to drive the JL midrange. In order to accomplish more power from the head unit you want to consider an analog to digital signal converter connected to a power amp. Here is the audio processor I went with: Audison Bit Ten http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=42

The amp is a 5 channel amp (JL HD900) so it powers the midrange and the subwoofer. Everything I have read about this amp is good - sources online say it is very efficient, does not overheat or shut down, and its compact size delivers big. Having heard it first hand, I am blown away with its performance.

To answer your question- yes, the JL replacement speakers were a huge improvement however it would have not been anywhere near this good had I not invested in a good audio processor and power amp.

Note: All factory buttons, hands free, blue tooth, and Sync system is functional just as is was pre-install.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
They are both right. The stock radio is crap. The quality of the signal coming out of it is tuned to the OEM horrid speakers. I replaced my speakers with some cheap T series 6x8 JL coaxials, and it was 'better' than what was there, but then you noticed the horrific bass cutout and signal roll off that the OEM unit will do auto-magically when you turn the volume up.

I then installed a signal processor to feed my 4 channel amp, and the results are still underwhelming. I wanted to keep the sync/steering wheel capability, but it's looking like a complete replacement is in my future...

seca954 said:
I contacted JL audio about replacement speakers for the Boss. They told me that replacing only the speakers might sound worse becuase the radio was designed to equalize the cheap speakers that Ford installed. Then I talked to another guy from JL and he disagreed and told me the speakers would be a great improvement. Please confirm if you are happy with the results of a speaker only swap.
I can tell you from first hand experience the first rep is full of it. Replacing the uber cheap stock speakers will make a huge difference.

Replacing the stock speakers is always a good idea. Something else that worked well was a JBL ms-8. It automatically adjust for the flattest audio responds when you run the initial calibration. That was one of the things I added to compensate for the vehicle acoustics and crappy head unit. I use the JL C-3 series speakers and installed the tweeters in the a-pillars which made a world of difference with the sound stage. In the back it doesn't matter that much, they are more for ambient sounds anyway.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Rear deck speakers are just 'filler', these Recaros absorb/block most everything coming from the rear. So a good subwoofer in the back and quality speakers up front are your best bet.

The Audison Bit Ten processor allows you to adjust timing of each speaker so you can balance the sound and hear the rears. Plus - passengers in the back benefit from good audio so for me, well worth it. I was really concerned the OEM stereo unit was not going to produce good sound or signal to the system but the Audison really cleans and amplifies the audio IMO it's like a home theater in the car.

I use an AudioControl LCQ1 in my 2005 Mustang with Shaker head unit, I'm going to get another one when I get my 2013 SBY Boss.

This unit takes care of any audio abnormalities and factory EQ settings of the substandard factory parts, works wonders with some good quality speakers.

Highly recommended.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/17612/712451/OEM-Integration/LCQ--1----Six-Channel-Line-Output-Converter-with-Equalization-and-AccuBASS.html

jneuman said:
Insert images didn't work .... sorry folks.

Just got the car back from Automotive Concepts https://www.facebook.com/automotiveconceptsmn

The sound system is out of this world - it is loud, crisp, and the JL sub is tight - hits hard, and is very responsive. The midrange is crystal clear and louder than I expected. Midrange were factory replacement, the JL stealth takes up very little room, and the amp & audio processor are installed in the spare wheel cavity.

When I drove it away I noticed a raspy static like sound coming from the driver side door when the volume was all the way down. Took it back to AC and the audio technician was able to pinpoint the sound - it was the metal 'Powered by Ford' plate in the bottom of the door jam. He put a small piece of foam under it and the problem was solved. This must have come from more vibration in the car since the exhaust limiter plates were removed.

773612_10200396192578108_488719402_o.jpg

798399_10200396192858115_1822091286_o.jpg

774390_10200396192778113_423531211_o.jpg

798169_10200396193138122_374416167_o.jpg

740145_10200396193258125_373077460_o.jpg

793786_10200396193658135_20328987_o.jpg

775653_10200396193698136_1373453721_o.jpg

775049_10200396193858140_318487793_o.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/774333_10200396194178148_1628049962_o.jpg/img]

[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/798278_10200396194098146_1893162948_o.jpg

Where did your installer put the Audison? Is it close to the amplifier or close to the radio unit?

racered302 said:
How do you like the c3 ? I was going to go with them but my friend decided I needed the c5 being I have 150 watt to them each. The funny thing is I hardly even use the radio.

I've got 125w to each but when you do your amp you need to adjust it so you don't blow it. Set the Head unit 3/4 volume, set the amp input to the lowest level, adjust the amp until it starts to distort then back it off until it's clean. That gives enough margin of error on the head unit so you don't blow the speakers I'm not sure how loud you like it but mine goes plenty loud before I hit 125w.Also the C3 sound good in my car but I can't say whether or not the C5 sound better.

Did you run new speaker wires through the boots or kept the stock wires?

cajundao said:
Did you run new speaker wires through the boots or kept the stock wires?

That short of a run I don't think you want to go through the trouble of modifying the connector to get a piece of monster cable in the door. I have the JL audio C3 installed in mine, ran the heavy speaker cable from the amp to the crossovers in the center console then out to the front speakers using the factory wiring, I like to crank it up every now and then and have been complimented on the sound many times.

racered302 said:
That short of a run I don't think you want to go through the trouble of modifying the connector to get a piece of monster cable in the door. I have the JL audio C3 installed in mine, ran the heavy speaker cable from the amp to the crossovers in the center console then out to the front speakers using the factory wiring, I like to crank it up every now and then and have been complimented on the sound many times.

So you installed the tweeters on the A pillars?

cajundao said:
So you installed the tweeters on the A pillars?

Yup, the imaging sounds fantastic. Close your eye's and you can't tell where the sound is coming from. I installed them at about the same place that 2015 Mustangs have them.

racered302 said:
Yup, the imaging sounds fantastic. Close your eye's and you can't tell where the sound is coming from. I installed them at about the same place that 2015 Mustangs have them.

Where did you hide the crossovers?

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Please post a photo of the pillar mounted tweeters. I have been trying to figure out how to do this without drilling into them but just haven't spent any time or money on this as I wanted to figure out what to do first. Most of the 1" dome tweeters are crap and I already bought some which sound terrible. Gonna keep looking for a solution so good ideas are appreciated...

John

There is no way to avoid the pillar mount if you want good imaging unless you wear headphones, if there is let me know and I'll go in that direction. These pics suck, I mean the light reflecting off the edges aren't that noticeable and I stand by that. It's always a PTA to post pics here because of the hosting services needed, but I understand the lack of server space, so here goes. Not working, getting pissed, cut and paste is much easier. Hopefully by the AM.

racered302 said:
There is no way to avoid the pillar mount if you want good imaging unless you wear headphones, if there is let me know and I'll go in that direction. These pics suck, I mean the light reflecting off the edges aren't that noticeable and I stand by that. It's always a PTA to post pics here because of the hosting services needed, but I understand the lack of server space, so here goes. Not working, getting pissed, cut and paste is much easier. Hopefully by the AM.
apillartweeter_zps03bc22ba.jpg

It looks as factory as the color match does in this pic. "This pic is like the one that shows a pimple under the skin". Actually no one knows it's not factory. I think it's about $140 for new "A" pillars.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel