The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New speakers on order today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I figured its about time to ditch the factory speakers seeing how I drive the car every day. Picked up these polk audio dxi570 speakers seeing how they were on sale. got two pairs for front speakers and rear.
x107DXi570-F.jpeg

ordered from crutchfield and they will be here tomorrow
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI570/Polk-Audio-DXi570.html?tp=105

In for review/eval. BTW, have fun mounting the rear! ;D Why Ford no longer mounts from the bottom of the deck is beyond me. I'm sure it saves .3 seconds on the assembly line.

No joke changing the rear is a waste of time they are good enough to handle 25 watt no not radion 25 watt real 25 watt from a high end amp but you'll never hear them if you go with good speakers. Just the way the car is the front speakers are so close they tune out the rear.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Once you replace the craptastic stock speakers, you will be introduced to the 'little amp that could' or rather shouldn't have tried... It's just so damn weak you will ask yourself, why did I bother? I put in a decent 4x75w amp and it's just 'ok', you are limited to the stock EQ settings so how it sounds is trick or treat. I have an EQ another Boss owner sent me that was in his old truck that I will experiment with this weekend.

I have been thinking about doing a speaker swap also... The stock ones are really bad... But, with the engine and exhaust note.. It's kinda of hard to spend the extra money on it...lol... If I do I have been looking at a couple of sets of JL audio, they usually always have good sound...

rcode1965 said:
I have been thinking about doing a speaker swap also... The stock ones are really bad... But, with the engine and exhaust note.. It's kinda of hard to spend the extra money on it...lol... If I do I have been looking at a couple of sets of JL audio, they usually always have good sound...

I put th jl c5 up front with boston acustics in the rear you will be amazed at how they sound I have had a ton of people ask what they were just from being so clear. But I do find myself turning it down to hear the engine ;D

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
rcode1965 said:

That's what I have in my Boss, 2 pairs of JL Audio 6x8 coaxials. Pretty decent sound, but you really need a sub in the trunk, or go all out with GT Premium door panels so you can put 8" subs in. I will be doing this next year when the budget allows. The high back Recaros block most, if not all of the sound from the rear, so it's really only 'filler'. I will post some more test audio clips now that I have the amp in, and then after I get the EQ installed.

CaliMR said:
jeep, do you think the the BAs in the rear were worth doing? You said earlier that the fronts drown out the rears.

NO it is not worth doing the rear speakers. it was a waste of cash for sure with the jl c5 in the front you could not imagine a better sound that fills any area.

jeepinocala said:
CaliMR said:
jeep, do you think the the BAs in the rear were worth doing? You said earlier that the fronts drown out the rears.

NO it is not worth doing the rear speakers. it was a waste of cash for sure with the jl c5 in the front you could not imagine a better sound that fills any area.

Which C5 did you go with if you don't mind me asking?

JL Audio C5-570x Evolution™ C5 Series 5"x7"/6"x8" 2-way car speakers
Boston acoustics for the rear---not really needed
scoche kit with touch screen ac/heat control
clairion nx501 radio with all the extras
jl 500/5 amp
1 farad cap
jl 10w3HO sub the only reason I did it is cause I have a friend that is huge into stereo compititions and he was in need of work.

I agree with the speakers in the back. They are more a filler then anything. A sub is a must if you want a well rounded sound. The only time I turn the stereo on is on the hwy and that when the sub really helps with the bass. Around town the engine plays all the tunes I want to here.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Well they have arrived and are installed. The rears were easy and took less than half the time to do the front two doors. I did the front speakers first then listened to the radio. Much better but it was way over powering in the front sounded like I had no rear speakers. Did the back and then played the very same song. Much much better still a little front biased but much better sounding. As easy as it is to do the rears I dont see why you wouldnt do all of them. Sounds great now. One of the best mods I have done so far.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Justin said:
Well they have arrived and are installed. The rears were easy and took less than half the time to do the front two doors. I did the front speakers first then listened to the radio. Much better but it was way over powering in the front sounded like I had no rear speakers. Did the back and then played the very same song. Much much better still a little front biased but much better sounding. As easy as it is to do the rears I dont see why you wouldnt do all of them. Sounds great now. One of the best mods I have done so far.

Justin

Agree with all above. Just installed speakers in daughters 2013 Mustang. Front doors are a bit different than 2010-2012. Rear panels are also changed. Reasr are much easier to install on 2013s.

Sound is better with both front and rears upgraded. I upgraded Boss fronts as well as daughters 2010 fronts with shaker 500s. Then swapped out rears. Could hear a definate improvement with each change.

For those who do not regularly turn their own wrenches, the rears could be a bit intimidating. Door sills, rear interior panels right and left as well as rear tray have to come out. Not too hard. Finished front and rear swap yesterday in about an hour. Third set in a year.

MGW shifter goes in 2013 next week with new Pilot Sports on American racing wheels. that should hold us on mods for a while. ;D

I've got the JL C3's up front with the tweeters in the "A" pillars and Pioneers 6805's, I think, in the rear.A subwoofer is a must if your on the hwy because the low end base gets canceled out and the 5x7 can't keep up. Just speaking from experience. Went down this road last year. Still tuning by the way.I'm never satisfied.

MTX Thunderform fits snuggly in the rear passinger fender, sounds good, and it won't cost a thousand + like the JL.

TMO Supporting Vendors