The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, I wore out my Pirelli's @ 9k. They really suck when you get them down to the tread wear bump. I was going to buy Hankooks, but I noticed they were directional. It has been my experience that directional tires start out nice, but you can't rotate them and they end up really crummy about 1/2 way through their lifespan...maybe, your experience is different than mine...whatever.

So, I bought Continental Extreme Contact D/W's for about $30 more per tire...Tread wear rating 340. I'll let you guys know how I like them.

I bought them to burn up on the track, as i'm a rookie. So far so good. I have 2 days of track on them and I think I can get about 3-5 more.

Jza1736 said:
I bought them to burn up on the track, as i'm a rookie. So far so good. I have 2 days of track on them and I think I can get about 3-5 more.

Are they noticeably harder than the stock perelli's?

No, I feel the pirellis have more grip. But at double the price. I think the kooks are a great bargain.

I'll most likely be buying a pair of Hankook V12's but for the track and keep my Pirelli's for the street. Although I'm having second thoughts on that and may just burn up the Pirelli's on the track (after I thrashed them this past weekend). Another option is the NT05's but they are available in 245/40/19 and 275/35/19. So 10mm narrower than the stock tires. Anyone have an opinion about the V12's in stock size vs. the NT05's in a slightly narrower size? Would the NT05's, although narrower, work better on the track? The Falken FK 452's are another reasonably priced option available in the original size.

So, I wore out my Pirelli's @ 9k. 9k? Was that normal driving or track & burnout fun? These tires must stick to the road literally. What wear (mileage) are these tires rated for? When mine wear out, I'll get some all seasons & call it a day....I don't plan on tracking my BOSS.

302BOB said:
So, I wore out my Pirelli's @ 9k. 9k? Was that normal driving or track & burnout fun? These tires must stick to the road literally. What wear (mileage) are these tires rated for? When mine wear out, I'll get some all seasons & call it a day....I don't plan on tracking my BOSS.

Street driving only. I drive pretty aggressively, but no burnouts.

The Continental Extreme Contact d/w's delivery good traction during launch (comparable to the stock Pirelli P Zeros), but they do not grant the confidence the of the Pirelli's at high speeds. The rear feels loose above 90 mph.

TMO Supporting Vendors