The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New to Drag Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wilmington NC
Hi all. I am 52 and seriously thinking of getting into it. I'm likely to get an an old cheap Fox Body Mustang street car and just run it like it is to see if it's something I really want to do. There is an 1/8 mile track that a friend of my runs bikes at so likely there. I don't really have too many questions as I have been reading a lot, but wanted to put this out there. My only real dilemma is manual or auto. I know the auto is consistent but straight drives are so much fun! I'll really only be competing against myself. Right? Lol! Thanks

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
A few of us here like to drag race on occasion but the main focus is road course racing.

I have a 2012 Boss 302, (with a few tasteful mods), that runs low 12’s in the quarter on street tires no less.

I think like most racing, speed & HP are expensive so it all depends on your budget. As far as Auto v. Manual? It’s a personal preference but a built Auto will always out shift a manual when milliseconds count.

Good luck and let us know when you find your Fox body 5.0L

If you have big power go auto, you will never control it with a manual. Shouldn't say never, but really rely's on track prep and what RPM you are launching. I feel the manual is fun and makes it a drivers car. I started off with a 08 GT with bolt on's which i thought was fast until the track broke my heart. Then it took a year of learning how to drive and doing the correct mods to make it fast. Take care of any rotational mass, wheels, tires, driveshaft, etc. then good tires, i was running bias Mickey ET streets. With around 320 wheel HP i was launching at 6,500 to make a decent pass.

I bought the boss and dragged it a few times, but once I got on a road course a few times I changed my mods to support that. Regardless I went after the same mods, removing rotational mass, good tire, and figuring launch and shift points.

If you want to keep up with the new technology you need big power and an auto. Went to the drag strip this last weekend first time in a couple years and am impressed with what the new stuff runs. Supra, new GT500, Challengers, etc. all run hard out of the box. Back in the day I could take out cars with twice the power as they couldn't get it to the ground, but the technology has made the incompetent driver a good driver unfortunately.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wilmington NC
If you have big power go auto, you will never control it with a manual. Shouldn't say never, but really rely's on track prep and what RPM you are launching. I feel the manual is fun and makes it a drivers car. I started off with a 08 GT with bolt on's which i thought was fast until the track broke my heart. Then it took a year of learning how to drive and doing the correct mods to make it fast. Take care of any rotational mass, wheels, tires, driveshaft, etc. then good tires, i was running bias Mickey ET streets. With around 320 wheel HP i was launching at 6,500 to make a decent pass.

I bought the boss and dragged it a few times, but once I got on a road course a few times I changed my mods to support that. Regardless I went after the same mods, removing rotational mass, good tire, and figuring launch and shift points.

If you want to keep up with the new technology you need big power and an auto. Went to the drag strip this last weekend first time in a couple years and am impressed with what the new stuff runs. Supra, new GT500, Challengers, etc. all run hard out of the box. Back in the day I could take out cars with twice the power as they couldn't get it to the ground, but the technology has made the incompetent driver a good driver unfortunately.

Hey Thanks for that info. Serious food for thought. Sad about technology being the great equalizer!! I'll be looking to bracket race so being the fastest around is not in my mind. I don't have the $$ to run with the big dogs. That is behind the whole idea of getting an older car and running as it is once I get it safe and tuned obviously.
Thanks, Darryl

Down here in Florida there is a group called the stick shift mafia, they run metal bodies, 1 power adder and full interior, with cage. They have a blast, there's nothing more fun than ripping through the gears in the quarter.
and if anyone asks, Lencos are for sissies.

I had to go all the way back to 68 to find a video of someone who could actually powershift

if you are bracket racing, you are pretty much stuck with an automatic for the sake of simplicity. the real fast gear banger guys are extremely consistent, but it takes a lot of experience, with an auto, it's more or less plug n play.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
BS1:

Thanks for bringing this thread back. Great video, loved seeing Grumpy puffin on his cigar and stabbing the clutch pedal to shift.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Ft Lauderdale Florida
Hi all. I am 52 and seriously thinking of getting into it. I'm likely to get an an old cheap Fox Body Mustang street car and just run it like it is to see if it's something I really want to do. There is an 1/8 mile track that a friend of my runs bikes at so likely there. I don't really have too many questions as I have been reading a lot, but wanted to put this out there. My only real dilemma is manual or auto. I know the auto is consistent but straight drives are so much fun! I'll really only be competing against myself. Right? Lol! Thanks
Have you considered taking Hawley Racing School. He has a one day school
The only reason I asked or suggest is there is a lot more to grab racing then step on the gas as hard as you can
You need to know how to do a solid burn out of line lock. Then you need to stage your car and last to launch it. It’s not difficult you just need to learn and practice but I am older than you and it’s the best 8 seconds on my. Total adrenaline rush. Takes your breath away. Once you realize that it’s a safe sport as long as you are being smart then you will be hooked

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Ft Lauderdale Florida
Have you considered taking Hawley Racing School. He has a one day school
The only reason I asked or suggest is there is a lot more to grab racing then step on the gas as hard as you can
You need to know how to do a solid burn out of line lock. Then you need to stage your car and last to launch it. It’s not difficult you just need to learn and practice but I am older than you and it’s the best 8 seconds on my. Total adrenaline rush. Takes your breath away. Once you realize that it’s a safe sport as long as you are being smart then you will be hooked
Drag Racing not grab lol

TMO Supporting Vendors