The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New to me 12 CO/White Boss 302 / wheel question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleek48

Tapatalk User
After being a lurker for a while, I finally pulled the trigger on a new to me 2012 CO/White Boss 302. It will be used as a track toy come next spring/summer. It had about 12k miles and the original owner was a big enthusiast and took great care of it. Shoot, it even had the original tires on it (although they are in need of replacement). I am very much looking forward to seeing what it can do on the racetrack.

I have been searching the forums, but couldn't easily locate the correct advice on wheel/tire for dual purpose use. Many people praise a 18 inch square setup, but that seems like it will need some other suspension adjustments.

I want to start out without the threat of too much/additional oversteer and then try to dial it out.

Given this, is there a staggered 18 inch wheel / tire setup that would resemble the factory stagger?

I like the Forgestars and probably would just order them in 18, but want to know the specs for the wheels AND tires.

What other "must haves" are needed to get this machine track ready? (planning on changing brake fluid and checking pads/rotors) i.e. which pads work well for dual purpose duty.

Thanks!

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

Welcome to BMO. The BFG Rivals are popular with many members and I now believe they have fitment in the stock tire sizes. Going with wider rubber is a good thing and there are plenty of options. For 19" wheels you have Michelin PSS and Yokohama AD08 R tires that work well on the street and track. If you drive in wet conditions look at the Michelin's.

Here's a link on how to post photos, you need to use a hosting service like photobucket.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=212.0

gleek48

Tapatalk User
Thanks NFS!

Got the pictures up.

Would you happen to know a good starting point for the 18 inch staggered setup?

Nice you have the creamsicle car! Do you want the wheels for street and track or just track? Your comment in your first post is more relative to moving from staggered to square vs. 18 or 19" decision. If I was looking for a set of street and track tires in one I'd stay on 19" wheels and run the two I suggested. Whether you go with Forgestars or a set of Ford Racing wheels a 19x9 and 19x10 work well with 265/35/19 and 295/30/19 tires I previously suggested. I run Michelin PSS on Ford Racing 302S wheels with the sizes I just mentioned. I have a set of track wheels with Nitto NT01's in 275/40/18 and 305/35/18 sizes on 9.5 and 10.5" width Enkei PF01's.

IMG_3375_zps88b81aa8.jpg

IMG_1757_zps8c1b8a57.jpg

gleek48

Tapatalk User
Great looking ride. I am looking (for now) for a set for both street and track (but probably mostly track). Thanks for the set ups mentioned below.

Would the 18 inch PF01's work well with the stock suspension setup on the track? Your car looks like it has a few mods... :)

NFSBOSS said:
Nice you have the creamsicle car! Do you want the wheels for street and track or just track? Your comment in your first post is more relative to moving from staggered to square vs. 18 or 19" decision. If I was looking for a set of street and track tires in one I'd stay on 19" wheels and run the two I suggested. Whether you go with Forgestars or a set of Ford Racing wheels a 19x9 and 19x10 work well with 265/35/19 and 295/30/19 tires I previously suggested. I run Michelin PSS on Ford Racing 302S wheels with the sizes I just mentioned. I have a set of track wheels with Nitto NT01's in 275/40/18 and 305/35/18 sizes on 9.5 and 10.5" width Enkei PF01's.

IMG_3375_zps88b81aa8.jpg

IMG_1757_zps8c1b8a57.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You will want a brake ducting kit from Blowfish Racing or FRPP.
Ford Racing ABS module is a good investment if you plan on tracking regularly--but you'll lose traction control and AdvanceTrac altogether if you do this.

"Dual Purpose" pads are tough--depends how hard you drive.
If you feel like swapping pads at the track I'd absolutely recommend Performance Friction 01 in the front and 97 in the rear. Excellent race compounds.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
2012Boss302 said:
I am also thinking about Forgestar wheels. Are they sturdy enough for DD and occasional track use ? Any ideas on what a Forgestar F14 weighs in a 19x10 ?

Sorry for the highjack....

Sturdy enough, but the typical 19x10 ET +42 may not clear the 14" Brembos. +40 or less offset should work, IMO. AM has the weight listed, but I think it's about 24# IIRC.

TMO Supporting Vendors