The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New (to me) Boss 302 Just delieverd. Some issues and questions. Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Hi Guys: Just received my Boss 302 this weekend. Delivered from SC from OC Welch. 2012 CO with 2500 miles on it. I am very excited to say the least. :)

Some questions maybe you can help with.

1. The car is #30. Don't know if this has any significance because it is such an early car but interested to know.
2. The car had cob webs underneath and in the engine bay. Must have been sitting for some time.
3. There were some disappointing issues. The driver seat has a small burn mark were the fabric melted. :'( Did n't know about this. Small chip in passenger door touched up so so. It was delivered without out the standard Boss Splitter. Clearly removed. The gromets on the passenger side rocker panel were missing behind the front tire.
4. Track key doesn't seem to engage although when the track key is put in it says "Track Key Active"

Any comments, insight and suggestions how to handle this?

Thank you much.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
REAL 1 said:
Hi Guys: Just received my Boss 302 this weekend. Delivered from SC from OC Welch. 2012 CO with 2500 miles on it. I am very excited to say the least. :)

1. The car is #30. Don't know if this has any significance because it is such an early car but interested to know.
2. The car had cob webs underneath and in the engine bay. Must have been sitting for some time.
3. There were some disappointing issues. The driver seat has a small burn mark were the fabric melted. :'( Did n't know about this. Small chip in passenger door touched up so so. It was delivered without out the standard Boss Splitter. Clearly removed. The gromets on the passenger side rocker panel were missing behind the front tire.
4. Track key doesn't seem to engage although when the track key is put in it says "Track Key Active"

Thank you much.

Great to hear your have your ride.

Burn marks and chips?? Not much you can do cheaply. touch up paint and some rubbing and polishing may help. Seats can often be patch by a competent upholstery shop. They will remove and replace the damaged section. Depending upon where this could be an option.

If you have the owners manuals and supplements track key instruction should be in there.

If not check these links:

http://fordracingparts.com/trackey/

http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Customer_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

The key does not guarantee the program has been loaded. The instructions will tell you there is a warm up and time delay built into the program. Even if yoy have the program the engine has to come up to temp and maintain the temp for a minute or two.

If you are missing just the splitter only. I was able to find one online for around $75.00. Fasteners and such from ford should be just a few dollars. Gromets, I assume you mean the push in fasteners are also available either from Ford or online. Per piece much cheaper online, you may have to buy a bag of many.

Enjoy your new ride!!

I do mine.

#30 is early production for sure. Probably not super collectable buy interesting to have.

The track key must be activated,that message didn't show up on my dash until the Track Key was activated.Before it was activated there were no message on the dash with either key.As soon as the dealer activated the key the message appeared!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'd try to get them to buy you a replacement seat cover. Is it the seat back or the seat bottom? They're about $360 each.

I think they should buy you the splitter too, unless it was missing in pictures that were available to you.

TracKey does take a few minutes to activate *after* warmed up.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Its clear the dealer is not going to do anything. :mad: He knows I am in NJ and he is in SC. Not feasible based on what it would cost to get those pieces myself.

shame on me. Hate buying over the internet for just this reason.

Anyway, the car is great otherwise.

Link to the 12 Boss front splitter;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-FACTORY-STOCK-11-12-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-BOSS-LOWER-FRONT-CHIN-FASCIA-SPLITTER-/271064326954?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1cb1632a

Bought a replacement for mine from them.

aircare84 said:
Link to the 12 Boss front splitter;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-FACTORY-STOCK-11-12-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-BOSS-LOWER-FRONT-CHIN-FASCIA-SPLITTER-/271064326954?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1cb1632a

Bought a replacement for mine from them.

We're you able to verify it was OEM ? Pleased with the quality? Thanks for the tip. Thinking of getting a spare.

NFS and others: weren't there some early Boss TSBs he should be sure were done?

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Welcome to the club. Hope you got a killer deal on your pre owned Boss like I did! When I picked up mine used I new it was not going to be perfect. Takes the pressure off for that first blemish.
Sooner or later you will need to use a Ford dealer. Believe it or not many have little to no experience with the Boss. I would visit or call your local Ford service managers and see who has experience with the Boss. Or better yet members here, ask who's good around your area.
They (the dealer) would be the ones to verify the track key and lopey idle are working. Also they can check and see if it had the transmission fluid up date.
Anyways awesome car! What are your plans for it? Street, track, modifications?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
REAL 1 said:
Its clear the dealer is not going to do anything. :mad: He knows I am in NJ and he is in SC. Not feasible based on what it would cost to get those pieces myself.

shame on me. Hate buying over the internet for just this reason.

Anyway, the car is great otherwise.

Real 1:

I'm near Medford, NJ. What part of NJ are you located? We have a small group of 4 Boss 302 owners. Like to take runs to New Hope for a Saturday cars and coffee.
Congrats on the Boss and if you need help let me know.
302 Hi Pro
Dave

302 Hi Pro said:
Real 1:

I'm near Medford, NJ. What part of NJ are you located? We have a small group of 4 Boss 302 owners. Like to take runs to New Hope for a Saturday cars and coffee.
Congrats on the Boss and if you need help let me know.
302 Hi Pro
Dave

Not to hijack the thread, but there is a much larger cars and coffee meet in Doylestown Pa on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month from 8 to 10am. If you are driving to New Hope, Doylestown is only another 15 minutes. Usually about 3 or 4 bosses show up there along with a plethora of exotics.

I am guessing that your car is MP0030, as opposed to 0030. Is this correct? If so, you have one of the pre-production cars that was most likely used for engineering development.

As for the condition of the car, it's probably not worth the stress to try to get the dealer to sort this out in this case. For the seat cover, I would suggest that you contact Rehagen Racing to see if they have a cover or seat available. They have been converting a number of Bosses for track duty, and may have suitable take-off parts.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
The dealer that installed trackey didnt do it right. This is a 2 stage procedure and the key as well as the PCM must be programmed. If the key is programmed, you will get the "trackey Active" in the message center but nothing will happen. I had to take mine back twice and so have a few others.

My advice, find another dealer that knows Bosses for the Trackey fix. This is ALL warranty work for the other stuff.

John

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
cbj5259 said:
Not to hijack the thread, but there is a much larger cars and coffee meet in Doylestown Pa on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month from 8 to 10am. If you are driving to New Hope, Doylestown is only another 15 minutes. Usually about 3 or 4 bosses show up there along with a plethora of exotics.

CBJ:
I found it, thanks for the reply, we have the Doylestown, PA location now from your other post. Looking forward to meeting your group in May. Keep in touch,
2HP

REAL 1 said:

Thank you much.

Hello Real 1.

Congratulations on the purchase of your 2012 Boss CO 302 and according to your window sticker the only thing that you are missing is the car cover.

I remember looking at MP 0030 and it looked like a very nice car and unless my memory fails me what I found most interesting about your car was that it only had 2497 miles on the car at the time and the car was fitted with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

As we all know all 2012 and 2013 Boss 302 cars were to come with Pirelli P Zero or P Zero Corsa tires and yet your car came with Michelin tires which is very interesting.

The treadwear rating on the Michelins was much better at a treadwear rating of 300 compared to the P Zero tires of 220 and the Corsa tires at a terrible rating of 60.

I did see a recent 2013 PP Laguna Seca car that had less than a 1000 miles on it and it had Goodyear F1 tires on it so obviously Ford experimented around with other tires unless the Pirelli P Zero tires were low in stock?

When I looked at your car it had the standard chin spoiler on the car so not sure where it went after that time?

Hopefully you have the TracKey issue all straightened out?

Good luck with your car and if I can help you with more info just PM me.

:)

kc3333 said:
We're you able to verify it was OEM ? Pleased with the quality? Thanks for the tip. Thinking of getting a spare.

kc3333,
The one's I purchased are OEM. They do not include the hardware, but I just reused my original hardware.

A quick check for track key is launch control, see if it's rev limited when the clutch is engaged. Default setting is around 2500 rpm's, it may have been changed from the default setting but it's a quick check.

About to be a new Boss owner this week, sold my GT for it. Been reading around here and wanted to say thanks for the splitter link. The only flaw on the Boss I'm buying is a cracked splitter from a trailer loading error after a race. Ordered mine tonight for a replacement.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
SterlingS197 said:
About to be a new Boss owner this week, sold my GT for it. Been reading around here and wanted to say thanks for the splitter link. The only flaw on the Boss I'm buying is a cracked splitter from a trailer loading error after a race. Ordered mine tonight for a replacement.

Sterling

Welcome to the site.

Having a spare splitter is not a bad idea. I picked one up on line and have it in the box from Ford for "When" needed.

TMO Supporting Vendors