The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New to Mustangs. Will be getting a 2015 for track duty.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just wanted to introduce myself.

Been doing track days since 99, and instructing since 2007. Always been a Subaru guy, but want to change things up, and have decided on a 2015+ Mustang. Have always like them, and really like the newest design, and just can't beat the bang for the buck. Plus there's so much support and aftermarket availability.

Current track car is a 2006 Subaru STI, that's fully gutted and caged. Was built to go racing, but life got in the way and never got my comp license. Just used for track days now.

Anyway, I don't plan to ever race, so want to get something that's mostly dedicated to the track, but can be driven on the street occasionally. So, looking for a 2015+ Mustang GT Manual with the Performance pack. Would love to find one already prepped, but most likely will do the mods after I get it. It will get a rollbar installed, race seats, 6-pt harnesses, extinguisher, brake ducting, and a track oriented alignment. Will eventually upgrade the suspension and other items, but safety equipment will be first.

Since I'm new to the whole Mustang thing, I'll be researching a lot, and probably have a lot of questions. To those that track 2015+ Mustangs, any advice/suggestions you can give would be appreciated.

Hopefully be on track in a Mustang by summer!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Welcome, and good luck with your purchase! We'll definitely help you spend your mod money when the time comes. We call it OPM (or Other People's Money) :D

btw, I also drive a friend's '02 WRX regularly. Took me a few months to be able to jump back and forth between cars, but I can do it seamlessly now without any confusion at the pedals. And title fixed as requested.

Look for a used 2016+ GT350. They are coming down in price and are superior to the base Mustangs in every area.
Yes. I know this, but I also know they are ~$20K more. I'd love to get a GT350, but the "regular" Mustang with performance package, and some other mods, is still going to be plenty fast and fun, and the $$ saved will go towards track costs, hotels, gas, brakes, etc.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Plan on getting wider wheels and tires from the get-go. The Performance Package setup (which has essentially become the PP1 package now that Ford has a 2nd gen PP package coming out for the 2018's) is unlikely to suit you (255/40's on 19x9, 275/40's on 19x9.5) for anything but any occasional street duty. Look at specs for the PP2, GT350, and GT350R for inspiration here.

Norm

Plan on getting wider wheels and tires from the get-go. The Performance Package setup (which has essentially become the PP1 package now that Ford has a 2nd gen PP package coming out for the 2018's) is unlikely to suit you (255/40's on 19x9, 275/40's on 19x9.5) for anything but any occasional street duty. Look at specs for the PP2, GT350, and GT350R for inspiration here.

Norm
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to run 18" wheels, or will they not fit over the brakes?

I understand the cost concerns. Thee are deals on 350's if you look. Dealer buy backs, theft recoveries, engines replaced. If this is for a toy, I wouldn't worry about a spotless history. What would it cost to upgrade the brakes, HP, and handling on a stock GT to stock GT350 levels? Just something to consider. Plus it makes a magical noise at 8250.

I understand the cost concerns. Thee are deals on 350's if you look. Dealer buy backs, theft recoveries, engines replaced. If this is for a toy, I wouldn't worry about a spotless history. What would it cost to upgrade the brakes, HP, and handling on a stock GT to stock GT350 levels? Just something to consider. Plus it makes a magical noise at 8250.
I'm with ya. Yeah, I don't need anything pristine. Been searching around all sorts of sites and forums, and I don't think I've seen one GT350 below $50K. Any suggestions on where/how to search for dealer buy backs, theft recoveries, engines replaced type vehicles?

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to run 18" wheels, or will they not fit over the brakes?
Only a few 18" wheels will fit over the PP brakes - IIRC there's an additional issue over just the 'regular' Brembos (spoke clearance) in that the inside of the barrel needs to remain cylindrical rather than being tapered (or slightly conical). I don't know what if any strength consequences may exist.

Norm

There has been a wrecked tech pack on eBay that I think was around $25000 or so. No one has been willing to take a chance on it. I think I've seen it two or three times. Google repairable vehicles. Check Manheim. Maybe even local police auctions.

Welcome to TMO. Slap some Apex EC7 18 x 11 wheels wrapped in NT01’s or similar tires and watch your lap times drop significantly. Have fun.

Square setup 18x10 or 18x11s, camber up front and the safety stuff you mentioned and you'll have a very capable baseline setup. As stated go ahead and pick up ARP extended studs, open lugs and some spacers in assorted sizes. Smallblock has it with the common wheels, also HRE ff15 came in 18x10 that fit but were discontinued. I have 18x10s in both team dynamics and Forgestars.

From there you'll probably move to bushings and IRS mods, as well as shifter, suspension, and down the rabbit hole we go.

Good luck. PS, consider a base gt pp can be had for low 20s, and the cheapest gt350 I've found is 39.9k (16 tech pack with 36k miles). GT350s can't take 18s either. It seems an average condition base 2016 track pack are getting pretty consistently down to 43.9-48k. Too much for a track car, IMO.

TMO Supporting Vendors