The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New to the forums - just ordered 2014 GT w/track pack & Recaros!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
547
30
CT
I know it's not a Boss, but it's about as close as I could order from the factory in 2014! Looking forward to being a Mustang owner and making a few upgrades/additions to the new car to support track days. Looks like a wealth of info on this site - I've been lurking in the shadows for a while now ;)
 

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
547
30
CT
Estimating about 8 weeks. Assuming that's right, I'll get most of the summer to break her in and get her out to a couple road courses.
 
Congratulations and welcome to BMO. I've driven a 2013 track pack car on a track and they are quite capable. You'll be very happy with it I'm sure.
 

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
547
30
CT
I think it will do the trick. Little suspension work and a set of track wheels/tires are on the short list, sounds like an axle overvflow resevoir and oil separator should be right up there too.

Hoping to keep it fairly stock otherwise - for a little while at least. Just want to be able to keep up with Pete :)
 
130
0
It is kinda sad that for 2014, Chevy has the 1LE and the Z28 and Ford has no answer. We have them covered with the GT vs SS and the GT500 vs ZL1, but there's a big hole in the lineup where the Boss used to be. :(
 

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
547
30
CT
My thought was the GT plus a few aftermarket additions should compete with the Chevy offerings but I can do it for less $

Although completely agreed that dropping the Boss creates a gap in the lineup...
 
dmichaels said:
My thought was the GT plus a few aftermarket additions should compete with the Chevy offerings but I can do it for less $

Although completely agreed that dropping the Boss creates a gap in the lineup...

I had a 13' Track Pack GT prior to the Boss and it was very capable. A few well placed mods and you will be good to go.
 
Just out of interest why didnt you buy a boss there are still some for sale?

I have a 2011 GT as well as a both and they drive like two different cars
 

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
547
30
CT
Main reason I went with the GT instead of a 2013 Boss is $... Counting the Ford rebate, I got the 2014 for $30,500 out the door (and just about $33k including CT taxes....) which is at least $10k less than what I could find a new or slightly used Boss for.

If funds allowed, I'd be all in on a Boss, but it's unfortunately just not in the budget right now.
 
1,255
2
GA
dmichaels said:
Main reason I went with the GT instead of a 2013 Boss is $... Counting the Ford rebate, I got the 2014 for $30,500 out the door (and just about $33k including CT taxes....) which is at least $10k less than what I could find a new or slightly used Boss for.

If funds allowed, I'd be all in on a Boss, but it's unfortunately just not in the budget right now.

Congrats! I went a similar route with my '12 GT with the Brembo package and 3.73 gears to get the 0% financing and X-plan price. Of course the next year they offer a track package, but I can add the few extra things that come with that over the Brembo package and get there. My car performs very well on the track as it is. The oil cooler and radiator would help in hotter weather, but I do not race it and have not had any issues yet running 30 minute sessions on a track day. The torsen diff is probably better for traction but I have not experience the difference personally so I cannot say. I'm too fluffy to fit in Recaros comfortably, so the GT leather seats are better for me.
 

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
547
30
CT
PJWannabe - good to hear you've had good luck on the track. Do you run 18's or the OEM 19's? I only plan on doing the HPDE events too, not actually racing, so 20-30 minute sessions are all I typically do too.

You haven't found the suspension to be too floaty?
 
NFSBOSS said:
Congratulations and welcome to BMO. I've driven a 2013 track pack car on a track and they are quite capable. You'll be very happy with it I'm sure.
What he said. I whaled on one at Chuckwalla and with 275s all around on wider 18" wheels, stiffer lowering springs, better dampers and throw in a CAI/tune with the Boss intake and you're virtually right there. You can do all that for a lot less than $40k so I totally understand your approach.
 

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
547
30
CT
cloud9 said:
What he said. I whaled on one at Chuckwalla and with 275s all around on wider 18" wheels, stiffer lowering springs, better dampers and throw in a CAI/tune with the Boss intake and you're virtually right there. You can do all that for a lot less than $40k so I totally understand your approach.

Pretty much the plan right there - probably will get a couple days in this year running the car stock aside from track pads (assuming the car arrives in ~8 weeks) and spend the winter doing the suspension

I came from a AWD car, so I've got to spend a little time getting used to the RWD setup as time and funds allow this summer!
 
1,255
2
GA
dmichaels said:
PJWannabe - good to hear you've had good luck on the track. Do you run 18's or the OEM 19's? I only plan on doing the HPDE events too, not actually racing, so 20-30 minute sessions are all I typically do too.

You haven't found the suspension to be too floaty?

I just run the OEM 19's for now. I don't do enough track days yet to justify a dedicated set. When I do I think I will use 18's. The stock suspension has some rebound and body roll in it, but it is minor and predictable. In stock GT trim I did find that it felt a little floaty at high speed, but after I added the Boss aero the added downforce compresses the suspension and makes it feel a lot stiffer and very stable (kind of like being firmer only when I need it, and more comfortable the rest of the time). I do plan to do some suspension upgrades down the road when I can afford to, since I want to do it the right way. I am also not too anxious to lower the car while it is a daily driver.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
What idiot told you to buy a Mustang anyway ? ;D

Glad to see you stopped lurking Derek ::)


(To all - this is my good buddy Derek - fellow driver form the Audi NEW and SCDA clubs.)
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top