The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New tunes from AED my thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Justin said:
things I miss about the TK are the engine decel (dont know how much you like it till its not there) and the popping on decel or crackle rather (I called it the car chuckling at the lesser cars) but a lot of that went away when I swapped to the magnaflow cat back (less back pressure I think is the cause).

That crackle-n-pop when you ease off the gas is pure music. I don't think I could give that up. All my instructors would ask about it since the side pipes are right outside their open window and they loved it.

Shaun@AED said:
Justin said:
things I miss about the TK are the engine decel (dont know how much you like it till its not there) and the popping on decel or crackle rather (I called it the car chuckling at the lesser cars) but a lot of that went away when I swapped to the magnaflow cat back (less back pressure I think is the cause).

I can give you both..... :)
So you're able to do the decel now?

5 DOT 0 said:
Shaun@AED said:
Justin said:

I have a file for TK decel (or close to it), and another that will make the exhaust crackle.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Shaun@AED said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Shaun@AED said:
Justin said:

I have a file for TK decel (or close to it), and another that will make the exhaust crackle.
so you can make it crackle decel and lopey idle? yes please ill take those

Shaun, have you noticed any changes in transmission behavior from tuning? I've been wondering if increased engine braking would affect the lock outs, as I have noticed similar behavior in other cars that has been cured with tuning. I don't really know how they do it, but for instance it made a big improvement with my Evo.

Shaun@AED said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Shaun@AED said:
Justin said:

this is REALLY interesting... hoping for vids soon :)

Shaun@AED said:
I'm not a huge fan of the lopey idle but I've come to appreciate it. IMO the snap crackle pop on decel between 4-3,000 RPM's is 10x better than the lopey and I'd miss it. My family thinks I'm crazy driving around in 100 degree temps with the AC on and the windows rolled down just to hear it. ::)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I think it was on the tune file. But to be fair the exhaust didnt crackle much with the trackey once I swapped to the Magnaflow Comp Cat back. It does a nice crackle once you get it up around 4 on decel or shifting it at 4 or higher.

Crackle is the easy part. I didn't put that in the last update. It's the compression braking that bugs. I'll have to investigate that more.

If it isn't a trade secret, is the problem that you need to add artificial braking or is it that the tune artificially removes braking? It feels to me like it is artificially removing braking because you can do a really light tap tap on the throttle to induce it to brake more plus it seems to brake then stop braking as it goes into slow rev down mode on the stock tune. Artificial isn't the right word, but I mean there is something in the tune that forces the behavior.

Shaun@AED said:
Crackle is the easy part. I didn't put that in the last update. It's the compression braking that bugs. I'll have to investigate that more.
When I had a 94 Supra with AEM ECU I found I could create pops, crackles, and even flames on closed throttle overrun by retarding the timing and adding a little fuel. Is that how you do it on the Mustang?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel