The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New tunes from AED my thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
After talking with Shaun I decided to give his tunes a shot. From a customer stand point, great service. Fast respones to emails and sending the tunes. Much quicker than Steeda was (waited over a week for the tunes). The procedure is after you pay he sends you a base tune and you go out and data log various items for him then send him the data logs then he sends you the final revisions of tunes. I went with the lopely (rough idle or cam idle or ghost idle what ever you want to call it) idle tunes package. Includes a reg idle tune, rough idle tune and a drag/track tune. I drove the rough idle tune to work this morning. Much more driveable over the steeda rough idle tune. It does have a tendancy to stall when pressing in the clutch while moving coming to a stop (clutch in on brakes) and the rpms are above around 2.5K but if you bring the car down in gear with the brakes and wait till you are below that mark it wont do that. I have emailed shaun and going to see if this can be corrected. Steeda tune would stall 17 times backing out the driveway and constantly in traffic to give you an idea of how much better AED's tune is.

The performance in the mid range is AWESOME it pulls hard. It will now haze the tires on a throttle roll in third (wouldnt do this before). Now he has informed me from the data logging that I have crap fuel and I see what he is talking about after peak tq the total timing falls on its face to 19 even dips as low as 16.5. He was commanding 3 over stock which would make it around 27ish @7500 not 19. And I have felt this with other tunes. Guess SAM's club isnt the place to buy 93 octane fuel lol. I am going to run out the rest and fill up with BP or SUNCO and some TORCO fuel additive then go data log that and see where the timing sits and how it feels on the street.

Right now I am happy with the new tunes. I have an upcoming dyno/bbq day and will get 3 runs for 40 bucks and I am going to back to back the trackey with stock air box, steeda 93 tune then AED tune Drag version and see whats what. Then hopefull clutch willing I will be going to the drag strip to test the steeda vs aed at the track where it really counts.

So for the three tunes I have so far the rankings are
AED (8300rpm redline!!!)
Steeda
Trackey
Silver key
JLP (horrible horrible tune sounds great at idle though)

Thanks for the review. I hear nothing but good things about AED. Fortunately he's local to me but I'm not ready for a tune just yet. But when I am I'll be giving Shaun a visit.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Nice. I'm hopefully going to get my items logged and over to him today to get my revisions in. Hopefully I don't get arrested in the process, some of the logs require triple digit speeds.

The lope tune should sound pretty cool, I did like the lund variant, but hated its driveability. Even the base tune from shaun (which appears to be pig rich) seems to be much smoother and much more powerful.

Justin

I got two revisions to the cam idle. Almost there. no more stalling drives great nearly as perfect as the trackey in regards to idle.

I am debating going to an E85 tune. Down fall is there are only two pumps in the area both are on navy bases.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
captdistraction said:
Nice. I'm hopefully going to get my items logged and over to him today to get my revisions in. Hopefully I don't get arrested in the process, some of the logs require triple digit speeds.

The lope tune should sound pretty cool, I did like the lund variant, but hated its driveability. Even the base tune from shaun (which appears to be pig rich) seems to be much smoother and much more powerful.

Call me if you need to get bailed out of jail.

Justin

ArizonaGT said:
captdistraction said:

yeah doing the 4th gear WOT pull to redline is interesting in a 35mph zone....dont ask

As soon as the warranty's done I'll be looking for a tune. Maybe they will have trackey partition on the ecm worked out by then.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
ArizonaGT said:
captdistraction said:

Sounds good, I'll leave the bail in an envelope and cold beer in a cooler. Just save one for me.

Sesshomurai

captdistraction said:
just wrapped up, and uh, 8300 in 4th is about 138 mph. Whoa. You guys are lucky your tach goes to 9k, after 8k I just have to hold on for the ride.

From my experience, the rev limiter kicks in at 7500 on the stock boss even though the tac goes higher.

Justin

darreng505 said:
captdistraction said:
just wrapped up, and uh, 8300 in 4th is about 138 mph. Whoa. You guys are lucky your tach goes to 9k, after 8k I just have to hold on for the ride.

From my experience, the rev limiter kicks in at 7500 on the stock boss even though the tac goes higher.
correct when running a stock or trackey tune. With AED or others it will go past that. He has a GT and they only read out to 8k where as the boss's tach goes to 9k

TMO Supporting Vendors