The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New wheel cleaner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Just saw this on adams site. I will be giving it a try at some point.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-884-new-adams-deep-wheel-cleaner.aspx
discount code GODEEP will get you 10% off store wide.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
I hate cleaning wheels.

I have tried many different wheel cleaners but have only found one that works:

Porsche wheel cleaner. Expensive, but it works. Buy it at the dealership.

Let us know how this one works.

Justin

here is the video they made for it. the camera guy needs fired constantly in and out of focus.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjXtTJkt6DY&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

he makes a valid point about spray on hose off wheel cleaners. high in acid content and over time will ruin your wheels finish (make it hazy).

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Justin said:
he makes a valid point about spray on hose off wheel cleaners. high in acid content and over time will ruin your wheels finish (make it hazy).

That is the Porsche wheel cleaner selling point-it does not hurt the finish of their precious wheels.

I got an email on that today as well. Looks interesting.

Justin

four-walling said:
Justin,

I just watched the video.

What did the Adam's wheel cleaner do that could not be done with car wash soap, water and a wash mit?
good question. I have found that wheel cleaner isnt always required but if you run certain pads or wait a long time to wash the wheel the brake dust can get rather hard to remove. especially in those places you cant reach with a wash mit. What I am assuming this wheel cleaner does (havent used it yet) is what other wheel cleaners do. it breaks down the brake dust making it easier to clean. If your pads have metal in them and they leave behind metal deposits you want a cleaner that will lift the dust from the surface of the wheel and get it off without having to do much scrubbing. Scrubbing with a mit and soap can cause swirls (easily seen on our black wheels).

I have used wheel cleaners in the past that if used with a power washer are completely hands free cleaning. but after a year the wheels started to peel the clear and get really hazy (american muscle wheels).

So what I have been doing with my wheels is cleaning them with car soap and water using the blonde hair brush and the older lug brush they had. along with the turbo stick to get the barrel of the wheel ( http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-405-adams-turbo-stick-wheel-cleaning-tool.aspx ). and to make it easier for them to clean I do the exact same steps I do to the cars paint. they get 3 layers of zaino on them. the use of wheel cleaners will break wax and zaino down this is why I do it with car soap instead of wheel cleaner now. But not everyone wants to spend 1.5 days giving there wheels the zaino treatment like I do.

I will be testing this wheel cleaner on a dodge dart. and my wheels as they are in need of a spring detail so there is no zaino to worry about stripping off with the wheel cleaner.

I dry my wheels with a metro vac side kick. I use it to get the water out of all those places water likes to hide. I wish I would have bought this thing years ago. I used to use a leaf blower but this little guy blows harder than that leaf blower could ever dream of. http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-471-adams-blaster-sidekick-dryer-by-metrovac.aspx

This wheel cleaner is essentially the same as sonaxs and wolfgangs über shell cleaner. Albeit more expensive then those two. It breaks down the iron and other materials on the wheels more thus creating the purple look like ironx. I'd still stick with sonax..

Justin

killerwill13 said:
This wheel cleaner is essentially the same as sonaxs and wolfgangs über shell cleaner. Albeit more expensive then those two. It breaks down the iron and other materials on the wheels more thus creating the purple look like ironx. I'd still stick with sonax..
how much is it per oz? if adams makes something good I usually buy it by the gallon much much cheaper.

TMO Supporting Vendors