The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Newbie drag thread - basic info on taking the Boss to the strip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I want to create a thread on basic drag racing info for the Boss, for complete newbs like me, with info on using stock/near stock setups. There were similar threads on other forums for other cars I have had, and they seemed to be useful. Info can be edited into this first post once we reach any sort of consensus, and broken down into sections. FYI I have never run a car at a real drag strip, just dusty old roads back in the day. So hopefully some knowledgeable people help out. Of course different tracks require different setups but there should be basic starting points for us newbs to work from.

What tools and spare parts are worth bringing? (ie a jack and spare brake pads?)

What setup should be done to the car? (ie remove the grill?)

What pressure on the OEM tires? (specify LS or Boss)

What rpm to set the launch control for? (or do you not use it on a real strip?)

What damper settings?

Any really basic mods? Looking more for basic things like shifter mounts rather than more advanced things like shifter/LCA swaps

Any quirks about the Boss that people should be aware of?

Is the axle tramp issue common on the stock tires, or is it just with drag tires?

Any differences using Track Key vs normal key?

That is the basic things I can think of off the top of my head, but feel free to add any other advice.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
weather permitting I will be taking my boss to the drag strip next weekend. so hopefully I will have some info for you. tools to always bring no matter the car have always been a jack, air tank (for changing air pressure), bags of ice and a 12v powered fan to cool it down between runs (bring towels to wrap the bags of ice in or large trash bags to keep water from collecting on the engine they will boot you off the track if you come up to the line dripping water). weather you are going to run slicks or street tires I spray pam on the lower rear quarters so the rubber doesnt stick to it, you can also use blue painters tape if you want (trust me that rubber is a pain to get off).

Some tricks at the track are to raise your front air pressure this makes the tires have less rolling resistance (never done it myself but have read in mags that this works).
If I am to run the stock tires in the rear I will keep the air pressure near where its supposed to be as street tires arent designed to run low air pressures. doing this does nothing for you but make less of the tread come in contact with the track. if you are going to run street tires dont waste your time with a burnout just spin them enough to clear the stones off.

Justin

CaliMR said:
Thanks for the info. Never would have thought of needing ice.
most tracks will sell ice at the track but its usually twice as much as getting it at the gas station. with these cars though having a plastic intake not sure how benifical the icing down will be but I will give it a try.

Maui
Anybody running drag radials or bias ply at the drag strip? What kind of wheel and tire sizes are you putting on? Just wondering...

Justin

808Boss said:
Anybody running drag radials or bias ply at the drag strip? What kind of wheel and tire sizes are you putting on? Just wondering...
I ran yesterday. good results with Mickey thompson et streets 26x11.5 on 17" wheels aired down to 13psi really starts wagging around at the top end of the track though but hooks hard

Maui
boss2511 said:
808Boss said:
I ran yesterday. good results with Mickey thompson et streets 26x11.5 on 17" wheels aired down to 13psi really starts wagging around at the top end of the track though but hooks hard

Do you have this set up? I called brenspeed a while back and they said these MT ET streets on 17"x 8" wide bullitt wheels would work on the boss. Did you use launch control? Traction control off right?
http://www.brenspeed.com/silverdragpack.html

Justin

CaliMR said:
Did you get any axle hop?
no I didnt get any axle hop at all.
808Boss said:
boss2511 said:
808Boss said:

Do you have this set up? I called brenspeed a while back and they said these MT ET streets on 17"x 8" wide bullitt wheels would work on the boss. Did you use launch control? Traction control off right?
http://www.brenspeed.com/silverdragpack.html
yeah thats the set up I was running. different wheels but same size. ran with traction control off. second gear burn outs till the tires started to pull the engine down then rode it out.

Maui
Boss 2511,

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. Out of curiosity, what kind of times were you running on the 1/4 miles with those MT E/T streets? Is it necessary to do a burn out all the time before launching with those tired?

Justin

808Boss said:
Boss 2511,

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. Out of curiosity, what kind of times were you running on the 1/4 miles with those MT E/T streets? Is it necessary to do a burn out all the time before launching with those tired?
without a burn out there is no way you can launch it at 6600 it would spin the first two or three gears lol. my best time of the day when I ran was a 12.27@112mph with a 1.7 60' that was launching it at 6600rpm it had just a touch of tire spin but the track wasnt prepped hardly at all I think on a track with better prep that 60' would get in the 1.6's.

boss2511 said:
808Boss said:
Boss 2511,

without a burn out there is no way you can launch it at 6600 it would spin the first two or three gears lol. my best time of the day when I ran was a 12.27@112mph with a 1.7 60' that was launching it at 6600rpm it had just a touch of tire spin but the track wasnt prepped hardly at all I think on a track with better prep that 60' would get in the 1.6's.

Justin, You have a regular Boss diff, not a torsen, right? I'm racing this weekend with my torsen diff and 295/55-15 M/T ET Street Radials. I will likely launch no higher than 5k without dumping the clutch. We'll see what happens.

Below is what she looks like now.

IMG_6724.jpg

Justin

SoFlaBoss said:
boss2511 said:
808Boss said:
Boss 2511,

Justin, You have a regular Boss diff, not a torsen, right? I'm racing this weekend with my torsen diff and 295/55-15 M/T ET Street Radials. I will likely launch no higher than 5k without dumping the clutch. We'll see what happens.

Below is what she looks like now.

IMG_6724.jpg
yeah I have a no options boss

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
'5' on the rear and '1' on the front...

I'd bring the tools to undo one of the front swaybar end links. And bring the air tank and pressure gauge as mentioned earlier.

TMO Supporting Vendors