The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Newbie looking to acquire a Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Hi Guys: New to this forum and was hoping to get a little in put.

I am looking sometime this spring or summer to pick up a Boss LS. Is there any diffrence between the 2012 and 2013's???

Are there any advantages to one year over the other. I really like the 2012 Black LS. I know some don't like the colored roof but I think the car is very striking and love how it retains the small block nose instead using the GT500 nose like the '013....but I really love the striping on the '013s and the hood vents.

Decisions, decisions...

What is the advantage/disadvantage vs. the standard Boss.

My local dealer has a SBY LS he wanted a $10,000 "market adjustment". I offered list. He counter $7500 over. I walked out.

Two weeks later he called and left a message that he would take $2500 over. I responded by not responding.

Any words of guidance would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

The only difference between the 12 and 13 LS other than cosmetics is the track apps digital screen. Also I'm not 100% postive if the 12 came with Sync but the 13 does. I know the 12 base boss had skip shift and the 13 does not. I'm not sure if the LS had skip shift which by all accounts is a PITA.

As far as the difference between the base Boss and the LS goes...obviously the LS has the rear seat delete with the cross brace, I believe it has some additional chassis stiffness components, larger wheels, R compound tires, cooling ducts for the brakes and a larger front splitter, plus a cool emblem on the trunk. The 12s also had an additional gage cluster. Other than that they are the same.

If track apps (sorta cool to play with) or sync aren't significant to you also consider the stripes. I always seemed to prefer the 1970 BOSS ( way before my time) so the 2013 stripes sealed it for me.

2012 black LS FTW!

For me the 2012 Black or the Silver will be the ones to have, they have been photographed more than the others and I have always liked red heads. But really it is what you will enjoy, if I could have ordered a white and black LS that would be the one.
These Boss cars are like M&M's not a bad one in the bag!

BLAZN BOSS

I like the 012 front end myself.............If I were the type to track the car the 013 would be the choice due to the cooling vents in the hood

Probably because I saw more '70's Boss's than '69's growing up, I equated the Boss to the hockey stick stripe. I also like the GT 500 front end. So I went with the 2013. Ta each their own... 8)

the small 2013 upgrades were the selling point for me.

upgrades such as
- HID headlights with great looking LED parking lights
- radio's USB connectivity (i use a flash drive for my music)
- hood extractors (i read a couple of comments from 2012 owners that the hood raises/moves at high speeds on track)
- removable fog inserts (you'd have to modify the 2012 grill or purchase a 302s/different grill for the extra airflow)
- blacked out LED tails (they're very eye catching and unique)
- reflective stripes add to the cool factor

so, in my opinion, ford listened and fixed a few things on the 2013 :p

I prefer the 2012 over the 2013. There was a 12 and 13 on the show room and I preferred the stripes on the 12. I think it has a better look. The 12 does not come with all the comforts of blue tooth or a decent radio but I added a new radio which has blue tooth, HD, XM, plays CD/DVDs and has a 6.1 inch screen. I also purchased a dash kit and now everything is touch screen. So if anything is missing you may want you can add it. I never planned to track the Boss but I purchased it because I like the look, sound, and enjoy the drive. You cannot go wrong with either one. There is a guy at work that has a 13 grabber blue and just about everyone comments that they like the stripes better on the 12 but like the blacked out LEDs on the 13. If may come down to which one can you get a better deal on.

Or you can do what I did. I bought a 2012 Kona Blue Boss in December of 2011 and traded it for a 2013 Race Red Boss just this month. I love them both and someday I'll have both together in one garage. Now kids, about that college fund? Can't go wrong with either, but apparently 2013 is my favorite at least until I can afford two!

HackBoss302 said:
Or you can do what I did. I bought a 2012 Kona Blue Boss in December of 2011 and traded it for a 2013 Race Red Boss just this month. I love them both and someday I'll have both together in one garage. Now kids, about that college fund? Can't go wrong with either, but apparently 2013 is my favorite at least until I can afford two!

Two in the garage would be nice.

NFSBOSS said:
2012 black LS FTW!

The 2012 LS looks much more mean than the 13. I also don't care about sync. The black and red is breathtaking. I think at night it looks especially slick.

DSC_0234_zps27507f98.png

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
That's whats cool and unique about both years. Each have its own things to like.
I myself like 2012 for its headlights being on outside and ive always was fond of 69style stripes.
But i love the 13 tailights, and that the stripes are reflective. Besides that, I dont care for stripes and ftont end is so heavy looking.

TMO Supporting Vendors