The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Newbie on track, track key question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have had my boss since new. The engine is 100% stock save Track key, open side pipes and K&N drop in filter. I'm finally getting out on the track with my boss. I have experience in the past with other cars on track but have been out of the loop raising my family. I've done a couple of recent manufacture track events over the last few years. I'm now ready to get on track with my boss.
My question is this. I have the track key tune and have been reading that it runs a bit lean.
Am I better off running the standard key on track?
Thanks for any assistance!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I use 20 to 25% VP 101 on the street and about 1/3 or more for track use, because of the low octane 91 available in California.

Every time I've used straight 91 on the red key I could hear a bit of detonation at tip-in.

If you have 93 available, I'd add a couple of gallons of race gas and use the red key.

As a guy that blew his motor on track I recommend mixing pump and race gas. While I don't think TracKey was the cause I didn't run it on track with my new motor.

Thanks for the advise! I have heard some light detonation even with 93 with highway 6th gear tip-in occasionally. I'll get 6-8 gallons of the good stuff mixed in the tank.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I alway run Sunoco GT260 when heading to the track. The pump at my Sunoco station reports a 100 Octane rating. The Boss U-Code revs nicely on the good stuff.
2HP

Someone brought up running Torco in the fuel too.... Anyone have pros or cons with that? For $20 it would be enough to take a tank of 93 to nearly 100 octane according to their chart.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Someone brought up running Torco in the fuel too.... Anyone have pros or cons with that? For $20 it would be enough to take a tank of 93 to nearly 100 octane according to their chart.

Pass. JMO.

I've heard enough mixed reports/results and accounts of blown up engines to stay away.

Anyone have a suggestion for tire pressures? I am running stock wheels and tires for this event.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I'm running MT Street Comps mostly because I'm not about to challenge anyone on the track and I have to drive there on these tires but I start out 32 psi and adjust from there.

Anyone have a suggestion for tire pressures? I am running stock wheels and tires for this event.
If I remember correctly start the stock Pirellis out around 32 and keep them 38-40 hot. If you're still on the stock set of tires they are starting to get old and will be losing grip. Also look for them chunking but most likely they won't have much grip and could be prone to snap oversteer. Take it easy getting up to speed if you haven't been on track in a while.

If I remember correctly start the stock Pirellis out around 32 and keep them 38-40 hot. If you're still on the stock set of tires they are starting to get old and will be losing grip. Also look for them chunking but most likely they won't have much grip and could be prone to snap oversteer. Take it easy getting up to speed if you haven't been on track in a while.
Thank you for the advise and warning. And yes they are my originals... They have been in storage the last 3 years. I have had them on the car now for about 200 spirited miles, they feel pretty good. I've done a few 1g stops and a few 0.9g on ramps with them and seem ok. I know the track will be another thing all together.
I could run my street 20in wheel and tire set up. They are a big staggered 255/35F 305/30R Nitto NT05. They have seen 7k miles the last three years. I thought the 19" pirellis might be the better option. What do you think?

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I ran stock Pirelli's then Nitto NT-05s. I saw an improvement with the 05's over stock Boss Pirellis. They were 18's on enkei wheels.

Have you had a chance to compare performance on the street? Same day?? You may find the 05's grip a little better depending upon condition of your tires.

I ran stock Pirelli's then Nitto NT-05s. I saw an improvement with the 05's over stock Boss Pirellis. They were 18's on enkei wheels.

Have you had a chance to compare performance on the street? Same day?? You may find the 05's grip a little better depending upon condition of your tires.
The NT05s feel a bit more grippy specially with the rears being 305 width. However they are VERY noisy and track a bit worse than the stock Pirellis. I think a lot of handling feel has to do with the fact my Nittos have a shorter side wall. I'm not sure I would get them again for street use. The Nittos have a big drop off as they wear, so noisy and much more rough. For a track tire that's no big deal, but for a street use tire it is.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel