The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Newbie Question About Track Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Hey guys, I'm considering purchasing track insurance for my first HPDE event and I have some questions.

1. I am considering Lockton, they are a little bit cheaper than RLI/Haggerty. I am mainly considering Lockton over the other 2. After reading other people's positive experiences with them on different track forums, I have found that their claim process was easy and hassle-free in case something happened. Can anyone on TMO attest to this aspect about Lockton?

2. Does track insurance cover only damages you inflict on your OWN car? I assume, if someone else hits yours, track insurance wouldn't cover it? Is it basically Gentlemen's agreement to pay up say if I hit someone or someone else hits my car?

3. Is liability insurance necessary? Looking at RLI/Haggerty/Lockton, there isn't even an option to select it. Is there an insurance that offers liability insurance?

Thank you for helping a newbie!

Hey guys, I'm considering purchasing track insurance for my first HPDE event and I have some questions.

1. I am considering Lockton, they are a little bit cheaper than RLI/Haggerty. I am mainly considering Lockton over the other 2. After reading other people's positive experiences with them on different track forums, I have found that their claim process was easy and hassle-free in case something happened. Can anyone on TMO attest to this aspect about Lockton?

2. Does track insurance cover only damages you inflict on your OWN car? I assume, if someone else hits yours, track insurance wouldn't cover it? Is it basically Gentlemen's agreement to pay up say if I hit someone or someone else hits my car?

3. Is liability insurance necessary? Looking at RLI/Haggerty/Lockton, there isn't even an option to select it. Is there an insurance that offers liability insurance?

Generally... these types of insurance only cover physical damage to your car.
When you sign the waiver, you are basically kissing all civil liabilities good by.
As an example, I was prez of a kart club about 30 years ago, a kart flipped,causing a red flag all condition, reds were shown at all corner posts. Some clown ignored them and ended up driving into the boiler plate wall and getting a piece of rebar through his shoulder ( an old school stock car track) This guy sued the track, the club and everyone else, when it went to court, it was summarily dismissed because he SIGNED THE WAIVER.
If you've never read an insurance waiver, you really should.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Any damage on track belongs to the car owner. Insurance covers your car to an agreed value. If you drive into a wall or are hit by someone who lost control of their car, it does not matter. Your insurance pays for your car, only. The other guys car is his problem. Like BS1 said you sign away the right to sue others when you sign the waiver.
I have used Lockton in the past. Fortunately, I have never had to make a claim.
also before you drop the coin on a track policy for a weekend. Check with your insurance company. Some do cover track events but stop at “Timed events” or W2W racing.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Generally... these types of insurance only cover physical damage to your car.
When you sign the waiver, you are basically kissing all civil liabilities good by.
As an example, I was orez if a kart club about 30 years ago, a kart flipped,causing a red flag all condition, reds were shown at all corner posts. Some clown ignored them and ended up driving into the boiler plate wall and getting a piece of rebar through his shoulder ( an old school stock car track) This guy sued the track, the club and everyone else, when it went to court, it was summarily dismissed because he SIGNED THE WAIVER.
If you've never read an insurance waiver, you really should.
So when we sign the waivers at the track, we are agreeing you can't sue the track AND other drivers if something goes wrong then. If that's the case, there's no need to even buy liability insurance of any sort.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Any damage on track belongs to the car owner. Insurance covers your car to an agreed value. If you drive into a wall or are hit by someone who lost control of their car, it does not matter. Your insurance pays for your car, only. The other guys car is his problem. Like BS1 said you sign away the right to sue others when you sign the waiver.
I have used Lockton in the past. Fortunately, I have never had to make a claim.
also before you drop the coin on a track policy for a weekend. Check with your insurance company. Some do cover track events but stop at “Timed events” or W2W racing.
Thanks for the info. I already checked in with my insurance earlier. HPDE will not be covered. I even pulled up the full policy to confirm. And thats good to know, everyone is just responsible for their own car after signing the waiver, no need to purchase liability insurance then

Thanks for the info. I already checked in with my insurance earlier. HPDE will not be covered. I even pulled up the full policy to confirm. And thats good to know, everyone is just responsible for their own car after signing the waiver, no need to purchase liability insurance then
With regards to liability,I have a concealed carry permit,because of that I have special liability insurance coverage, plus I have a " blanket" liability coverage through my homeowners policy. This will also help with ANY liability, like if someone gets hurt because of my actions while working on their race car, or I'm sued at an HPDE event... etc. Keep in mind anyone can sue anybody, even if you are not guilty you will still have to defend yourself, hence.. several layers of coverage.

I can attest that when I totaled my Boss 302 at Spring Mountain, Lockton sent their rep out promptly to assess the damage. I ended up getting covered by my USAA policy, but I would recommend Lockton.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
I can attest that when I totaled my Boss 302 at Spring Mountain, Lockton sent their rep out promptly to assess the damage. I ended up getting covered by my USAA policy, but I would recommend Lockton.
Was there a reason why you didn't file the claim using Lockton at the end and instead using USAA? Won't the use of your primary insurance raise premiums?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Not to answer for Fat Boss.....But.

Deductibles with Lockton are usually 5% or 10% of value. That and USAA has fantastic customer service. When my daughters car was totaled, the USAA rep spent time determining all add ons the car had and paid us out for all. Tires, wheels, and stereo were all added to the value of the vehicle at payout.

Was there a reason why you didn't file the claim using Lockton at the end and instead using USAA? Won't the use of your primary insurance raise premiums?

Not to answer for Fat Boss.....But.

Deductibles with Lockton are usually 5% or 10% of value. That and USAA has fantastic customer service. When my daughters car was totaled, the USAA rep spent time determining all add ons the car had and paid us out for all. Tires, wheels, and stereo were all added to the value of the vehicle at payout.

TMSBOSS more or less covered it. Yes, my rates went up. Yes, it was my own damn fault. I did the math and it would take 10 years of the higher rates to cover the payout from USAA. That reminds me, maybe I can now petition for lower rates again haha.

USAA paid me pretty much every dime I had into the car. The conversation with the USAA manager was interesting when he said they should not be covering it. I told him they'd already notified the state of CA that my title was Salvage, had cut a check to the credit union for the balance of the loan, and had made a verbal offer for the equity I had in it. I said, "go talk to your legal dept and call me back." He called back ten mins later and said, "we're going to cover you this time." Everyone else I'd talked to prior just wanted to make sure no one was hurt, and what the payoff amounts were.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
Does anyone have any experience with Open Track?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte

TMO Supporting Vendors