The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Newbie Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Georgia
Hey everyone, new member here. After lurking for some time and racing in many AutoX events I'm interested in tracking my S550 GT PP Convertible. Being a convertible, I accept the fact that I would need to purchase a roll-bar in order to start tracking the car. I've read some of the guides on the forums including this one, but had a few other questions as I’m not 100% sure on what all I need to do prior to my first HDPE.

My goal for the car right would be to make it a dual-purpose daily driver that I can drive to/from work and the track, without changing too much at once. I don't mind sacrificing a little comfort for performance, but don't want to turn the car into a teeth-rattling machine when driving it on the street.

Having that in mind, I’m pondering the following as my "shopping list" to get started:

- Watson racing 4 point roll bar
- Schroth Quick Fit Pro (Driver & Passenger)
- SA2015 helmet (already purchased)
- HANS device for myself (TBD)
- Apex SM10 19x11" ET26 & ET52 w/TPMS etc. Tires: 305/30/19, TBD...ideally a 200TW tire that I can drive to/from the track with. I would swap back to my OE PP wheels after the track days.
- Vorschlag caster/camber plates to adjust front camber
- FP Track handling pack (M-FR3A-M8A)
- ZL1 front (and rear?) tow hook
- Xpel PPF on key areas (bumper, hood, lower door, lower rear quarters, etc.)
- Spare PP rotors & pads and extra brake fluid to bring for the HDPE events.
- 2.5lb clean agent fire extinguisher with seat track mount

I know I could keep going with a list of mods, but I would like to avoid diving off the deep end with just starting out until I get a better handle on things and understand the car better on the track. Having said that, I have some questions:

1) Any comments on the above “shopping list”? Things I may be missing or over-doing for just starting out?

2) Is it okay to run the OEM Ford DOT4 brake fluid for a first HPDE, or is it recommended to go ahead and install a separate clutch reservoir & automatic trans brake reservoir, run Motul 600/660 or Castrol SRF in the brake reservoir, and change the brake lines to SS prior to my first HDPE?

3) If I purchase a HANS device, do I need to purchase a separate one for an instructor? I’m planning on purchasing a Quick Fit Pro for the passenger side, but unsure if I need to buy a separate HANS as well...I’ve heard any safety equipment you buy for yourself you also need to buy for the instructor.

4) Do people generally drive their car to/from the track, or is it recommended to go ahead and tow given issues that may occur leaving one stranded? I don’t have a truck so this would be another purchase...

4) What’s the general take here on the “don’t track it unless you’re prepared to lose it” mentality? Personally spending a few hundred dollars each track weekend purchasing track insurance, the shopping list, and potentially damaging/totaling the car makes me debate just going with a Miata as the end cost would be about the same with cheaper consumables and not purchasing track insurance. I realize this may not be the right place to ask but figured I would anyways.

I apologize for my long-winded post, but appreciate any help here.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Welcome to the site.

If you are putting the roll bar in the car, go with 5-6 point harnesses which attach to the bar.
if you don’t mind loosing your back up light, the Ford rear tow hook is an option. No cutting, just three holes drilled in the rear inner bumper bar. The hook then protrudes through the hole vacated by the back up light.
A set of air deflectors for the front brakes could also be useful.
Consider having a build thread for your car and we can help you spend money…….I mean upgrade your beautiful ride. :hellyeah:
Again, welcome!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Hey everyone, new member here. After lurking for some time and racing in many AutoX events I'm interested in tracking my S550 GT PP Convertible. Being a convertible, I accept the fact that I would need to purchase a roll-bar in order to start tracking the car. I've read some of the guides on the forums including this one, but had a few other questions as I’m not 100% sure on what all I need to do prior to my first HDPE. My goal for the car right would be to make it a dual-purpose daily driver that I can drive to/from work and the track, without changing too much at once. I don't mind sacrificing a little comfort for performance, but don't want to turn the car into a teeth-rattling machine when driving it on the street. Having that in mind, I’m pondering the following as my "shopping list" to get started: - Watson racing 4 point roll bar - Schroth Quick Fit Pro (Driver & Passenger) - SA2015 helmet (already purchased) - HANS device for myself (TBD) - Apex SM10 19x11" ET26 & ET52 w/TPMS etc. Tires: 305/30/19, TBD...ideally a 200TW tire that I can drive to/from the track with. I would swap back to my OE PP wheels after the track days. - Vorschlag caster/camber plates to adjust front camber - FP Track handling pack (M-FR3A-M8A) - ZL1 front (and rear?) tow hook - Xpel PPF on key areas (bumper, hood, lower door, lower rear quarters, etc.) - Spare PP rotors & pads and extra brake fluid to bring for the HDPE events. - 2.5lb clean agent fire extinguisher with seat track mount I know I could keep going with a list of mods, but I would like to avoid diving off the deep end with just starting out until I get a better handle on things and understand the car better on the track. Having said that, I have some questions: 1) Any comments on the above “shopping list”? Things I may be missing or over-doing for just starting out? 2) Is it okay to run the OEM Ford DOT4 brake fluid for a first HPDE, or is it recommended to go ahead and install a separate clutch reservoir & automatic trans brake reservoir, run Motul 600/660 or Castrol SRF in the brake reservoir, and change the brake lines to SS prior to my first HDPE? 3) If I purchase a HANS device, do I need to purchase a separate one for an instructor? I’m planning on purchasing a Quick Fit Pro for the passenger side, but unsure if I need to buy a separate HANS as well...I’ve heard any safety equipment you buy for yourself you also need to buy for the instructor. 4) Do people generally drive their car to/from the track, or is it recommended to go ahead and tow given issues that may occur leaving one stranded? I don’t have a truck so this would be another purchase... 4) What’s the general take here on the “don’t track it unless you’re prepared to lose it” mentality? Personally spending a few hundred dollars each track weekend purchasing track insurance, the shopping list, and potentially damaging/totaling the car makes me debate just going with a Miata as the end cost would be about the same with cheaper consumables and not purchasing track insurance. I realize this may not be the right place to ask but figured I would anyways. I apologize for my long-winded post, but appreciate any help here.
1-The list looks pretty good for a start, but you really don't have to do much for your first couple events. Just make sure you have good brake fluid and enough tread and brake pad left. Most track day organizations will let you run a convertible in the beginner groups without a roll bar.

2-The Ford Dot 4 should be fine to get started if it is fresh, if not Motul 600 or SRF is a good choice. I didn't separate my clutch reservoir until a few years in.

3- You should have equal restraints for driver and passenger. They don't have to be the same but should be comparable. For example an equivalent harness for each seat of a fixed back racing seat for both sides. Not one stock seat and one racing seat, but they don't have to be the exact same seat. There is no need to buy a hans for an instructor. They should have their own. I agree with TMSBOSS, if you install a roll bar go with 6 point harnesses.

4- Some drive their cars while others trailer. Beginners usually drive and more experienced drivers tend to trailer. I drove mine to track for the first few years before purchasing a trailer. Some of these trips were 12+ hours each way. Just have a back up plan in case something happens ie. rent a u-haul and trailer if the need arises.

second 4- Insurance is up to you. HPDE is generally pretty safe. Most accidents are cars leaving track and hitting a barrier, which is your fault. Car to car contact is pretty rare, especially in the beginner groups, but it can happen. I got hit two weeks ago due to an ill prepared car having brake failure and the driver choosing to go inside in a tight corner and spinning instead of going outside where there was plenty of room.

I don't see why they would require you to have a 6 point (unless the convertible thing plays into it) most organizations will let you get bye with just the roll bar, at least in hardtops, this way you can use the factory seatbelts with airbags and no Hans. Once you get rid of the factory belts then you'll need the correxct seat, roll bar attachments, hans.. kind of an all or nothing deal since they are basically treated as a unit for driver protection. I applaud the 6 point, though, I've always thought airbags were over rated, especially on the second impact (after they activated), I've probably cut 200 people out of cars and you can't beat a decent set of belts.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel