The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Newest mod - trailer hitch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here is my latest addition. I've had the trailer hitch by Hiddenhitch for a while and recently purchased this 5 x 8' from Leonard. The process was a bit of a pain early on because I was trying to get it at Lowe's. The hitch is about 3 bills, trailer 7, light kit 2, and the permanent license 2. The dreaded wait in the DMV line is a necessity too. It can easily hold two sets of 305's, all my tools, etc. The hitch is about 25# and it's all in the back. I need a nice pic with a lawn mower loaded up.

null_zpsc05ba380-1.jpg

null_zps0772f9b6.jpg

I've also done the Cooltec front and rear tow hooks. Next project will be T springs, LCA, LCA relo brackets, panhard and Koni yellows, after the next trip to VIR.

Sure thing. I'm at the GF's until tomorrow night with the DD so I'll post when I'm back.

Here is the link to the product. Good for up to 2000# of tow weight.

http://www.hiddenhitch.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1000&catID=1005&part=60280

BLAZN BOSS

LOL........just a reminder, an excerpt from the Boss 302 owners manual (pg 20):

TRAILER TOWING
WARNING: Never tow a trailer with this vehicle. Your vehicle is
not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through
an authorized dealer.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOCMUS/~MUS~LEN/42/12musbs2e.pdf

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
BLAZN BOSS said:
LOL........just a reminder, an excerpt from the Boss 302 owners manual (pg 20):

TRAILER TOWING
WARNING: Never tow a trailer with this vehicle. Your vehicle is
not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through
an authorized dealer.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOCMUS/~MUS~LEN/42/12musbs2e.pdf

That was the first thing I thought of too, goodbye warranty!

I met a couple guys from Canada at Watkins glen last year that had installed trailer hitches on the 2011-2012 Mustang GT's. The GT's had the Ford Racing suspensions.They pull small trailers loaded with 4 tires, jack, tools. etc. They said they pull great and had no issues.

Tucson302 said:
That was the first thing I thought of too, goodbye warranty!

I've had thousands of $ of warranty work done on my car and it never came up. Forget about it.

I'm loving it and hating the same time. Only hating the aesthetics, but loving it for a trip to the track. First glance was WTF, Home depot junky. :)

BLAZN BOSS

I only metioned the owners manual because it came to mind. His car, he paid for it.......he can do what he wants! :)

I put a hidden hitch on mine a few weeks ago and and bought a 4x5 trailer from lowes. Total with the plug in wiring harness was under $600. The hitch sits pretty far under the car and although it doesn't look the greatest it was needed until I can afford a tow vehicle and trailer. It's about the best reasonably priced option to a truck and trailer if your want to run slicks at the track.

I think this is cool! Great solution for getting to/from track days without the expense and complication of a tow vehicle and expensive trailer. On the website it says no drilling required for the hitch, so if it's just bolt-in why the heck not? No harm no foul.

My old '65 GT350 had a trailer hitch on it at one time in the late '60s. The second owner, who I tracked down when I was trying to document the car's history, was an SCCA racer in the late '60s. He raced the Shelby, but if you can believe it he also used it as a tow vehicle for his '66 427 S/C Cobra. He said he'd tow the Cobra behind the GT350 to races throughout the midwest, and if the Cobra broke he'd race the GT350 instead. Then tow the Cobra back home! He said it made a perfectly fine tow vehicle and he never had a problem with it. Now, that's a racer!

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
My dad's '67 Vette had a trailer hitch. Not sure why, but it did. But like others said, it's the lesser of two financial evils.

It doesn't look like much now, but wait til I dress her up a bit.

KBBOSS1086 said:
I put a hidden hitch on mine a few weeks ago and and bought a 4x5 trailer from lowes. Total with the plug in wiring harness was under $600. The hitch sits pretty far under the car and although it doesn't look the greatest it was needed until I can afford a tow vehicle and trailer. It's about the best reasonably priced option to a truck and trailer if your want to run slicks at the track.

Bingo. I'm not ready to drop at least 20k on a trailer tow vehicle combo. This was the best solution for me. I did some recon at the track and met a few that had done the same, even a guy with a Miata. I've even seen a couple of guys with a tire rack on top of their car, which they would remove prior to hitting the track.

dabossinne said:
I think this is a cool! Great solution for getting to/from track days without the expense and complication of a tow vehicle and expensive trailer. On the website it says no drilling required for the hitch, so if it's just bolt-in why the heck not? No harm no foul.

It was pretty straight forward to install. It is indeed only a bolt in, and is quite concealed, as the ball hitch and short bar can be removed.

Tulsa, OK
Very cool! I've seen other cars and different year mustangs with hitches and trailers for track days but I haven't seen any on the 11+ mustangs. Good work and I hope it works out for you.

Its not the best look and id probably be the first person to shake my head if I saw a Boss pulling a trailer and didn't understand the reasoning behind it, but all in all itserves its purpose and is not that bad. I will say that the extra weight outback improve the weight distribution of the car and was noticable at my last track event. I just can't wait to see the reactions if I ever have to take my quad somewhere! :eek:

I will try to take some pictures later today and post them without the trailer.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
CPTMac689 said:
We need a picture from the back without the trailer. Wanna see just how much it shows.

I'd like to see this too...

Been considering one for the GT when I start running slicks. Since it's got 3.73s too, it'd probably pull the Boss okay.

TMO Supporting Vendors