The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NEXT GEN TOW HOOK KITS ARE HERE!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Well, I am working on the S550 tow hook design now. it is similar to the nextgen/gt500 design in that it wraps around the bumper beam. i just need the depth for where the loop will pop through to be able to finish it up and get a prototype made and test fitted. i don't currently have a 2015 at my disposal, so that is the difficult part.

the gt350 may be a completely different animal. the bumper beam is likely not going to have the same geometry due to the aluminum, but for it to be sufficiently impact resistant, i would expect it to be rigid enough to use as the structure for the tow hook kit.

i really need one of our east coast friends to buy a gt350 and donate it for a few weeks;)

I'm a bit concerned about clamping a kit to the aluminum bumper. The R-C race cars use the steel bumper. The design if for a frontal impact and not pulling in the opposite direction. Not sure how much of a difference there will be with aluminum but a bolt on like your original design might be the way to go.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Thats a valid point. I will have to look into that option...if i can ever get one in my shop...

interestingly enough, i just test fit the original crossbar design to the steel S550 bumper beam and the holes line up! the splitter bracket even tucks up to the underside of the beam, just like the S197 did! Its really just a matter of elevation and any obstructions. I assume there is some oil coolers in that area?

pufferfish said:
Thats a valid point. I will have to look into that option...if i can ever get one in my shop...

interestingly enough, i just test fit the original crossbar design to the steel S550 bumper beam and the holes line up! the splitter bracket even tucks up to the underside of the beam, just like the S197 did! Its really just a matter of elevation and any obstructions. I assume there is some oil coolers in that area?
The coolers are actually off to the sides in the lower right and lower left grille openings. I can look inside my engine bay tonight to ensure there's nothing in the center below the bumper.

20151107_143315_zpsnvmphgz0.jpg

20151107_151155_zpsyu0d33cw.jpg

20151107_151200_zpshndbjacf.jpg

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
awesome! if you could somehow get the distance from the bottom of the bumper beam to the top of the lower grill opening, that would be fantastic. it kind of looks like nearly zero, which is how the 13-14 gt500s are...mazimized open area.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel