The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Next step on brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
I need some advice about brakes. I have a 2013 Gt vert with shock/spring/camber/shifter and brake pad/fluid upgrades. Also running 18x10 wheels square with supercar 3 tires for track. I go to a few track days a year and street drive when weather is nice.

Slowly getting better at running msr cresson mostly and starting to brake harder in search of better times. Last time out brakes smelled pretty hot and we’re about 800 degrees when I got off track. For brakes I just have hawk 50 pads and a high temp fluid.

From what I have read, the 14 inch brembos would be a nice upgrade but I have a lot invested in 18 inch wheels and tires ( track and street set) and they won’t fit.

I‘m wondering how much benefit I would get from something like the vorshlag deflectors or ducts. Do they make a big difference with stock brakes on track or are larger brakes the only way to go?

Thanks.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Cooling ducts help with whatever brakes you are running. Airflow helps dissipate heat. Larger rotors have more thermal capacity so they take longer to heat up which helps as well. which 18" wheels are you invested in? Many of them will clear the 14" 4 piston Brembo set up that as used on the Boss and track pack S197's.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
There is a ridge on the inside of the wheel that is about a half inch from the caliper now. If I had a spacer to push that ridge outboard I would pick up a little more space but not much. Maybe another half inch.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I am not sure if those wheels will fit the 14" Brembo's without a spacer. I have a friend with a 2008 Bullitt and the stock wheels fit the 14" Brembo's with a small spacer. I think about a 1/4" for the spokes to clear the calipers. I can ask if it will help.

Most 18s will fit those Brembos, they have been run in SCCA for years. 1/4 inch is all you need and those Brembos are bulletproof.
Fabman makes great brake ducts, I would recommend the smaller diameter since you have to thread them around a lot of stuff.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
Thanks. I ordered the kit and it will be here tomorrow. It comes with “race pads” Front and rear. Are those any good compared to the hawk 50’s I have been using or should I automatically upgrade?

NJ
I think sooner or later you're going to be doing an upgrade to the 14" Brembo setup or similar. Every time I see a writeup with the stock (non-Brembo) setup on track with it doesn't end well once you start pushing it. These cars are just too heavy and hard on brakes.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
I got the brakes on and I like them a lot. Had to get spacers for my wheels to fit. Which leads me to what I am sure is a dumb question but I thought I would ask. I got 1 1/2 inch spacers and it gives me just over a half inch clearance between wheel and caliper. The problem is that the tires stick out of the fender by about that same inch plus. . Driving around town I haven’t heard any rubbing and I don’t see anything on the fender but I assume that having it stick out that far is going to damage the tire or fender or both when the suspension compresses. I guess I need to get different wheels with spokes that are more toward the wheel face to fit with no spacer but thought I would ask for any other thoughts before I do that. Wheels are 18x 10 with 45 mm offset. Thanks.

DDC58FF3-EBEE-4293-B749-DB8B43CB05DD.jpeg

A0893C90-80BB-401F-B27C-EB743A5E2F4A.jpeg

B5DBCCB4-9C72-41C1-999F-8E64244EC498.jpeg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I would try a smaller spacer first. For some of us 1/2” space between the caliper and wheel is Huge. A few millimeters is all you need. Does your spacer “Bolt On” or do the studs run through sandwiching the spacer and wheel together?
You may want to contact Tim at OP Mustang, a sponsor vendor here. Tim has the studs, spacers and honest advice needed to tuck that tire back under the fender.

18x10 with 43 mm offset and no spacer is a standard fitment for the s197 and sits pretty flush with the outside of the fender. So I'm afraid unfortunately that same wheel with a 1 1/2 inch spacer is going to be way too far outboard to work. Even if you reduce it to 25 mm / 1 inch spacer I think it's going to be too much.

TMO Supporting Vendors