The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Next track tire for the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking at my next choice for a track tire. So far I have run Michelin Pilot Super Sports and Sport Cup 2's. I feel like I am at the limits for traction with both of these that I run at my frequent track (BIR). I have read several posts for choices from Hankook, Goodyear, Conti's and the like. Is a Hoosier R7 slick the next option for me?
In addition a few questions:
I have a couple sets of Apex 19 X 10 wheels and my ideal tire size is 305/35R19. I would prefer not to run a smaller diameter tire size.
Will a 315/35R19 fit well on a 19 X 10 wheel or do I need to go a 11 inch wheel?
Is the 295/35R19 too narrow for the S197 weight and traction needs?
Is a 18 inch wheel a better option for tires? I have the Brembo 6 piston caliper and the 15 inch rotors up front so I would need to verify a set of Apex wheels would clear.
All comments and opinions welcome.

DSC_8186-2.JPG

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I am looking at my next choice for a track tire. So far I have run Michelin Pilot Super Sports and Sport Cup 2's. I feel like I am at the limits for traction with both of these that I run at my frequent track (BIR). I have read several posts for choices from Hankook, Goodyear, Conti's and the like. Is a Hoosier R7 slick the next option for me?
I have a couple sets of Apex 19 X 10 wheels and my ideal tire size is 305/35R19. I would prefer not to run a smaller diameter tire size.
Will a 315/35R19 fit well on a 19 X 10 wheel or do I need to go a 11 inch wheel?
Is a 18 inch wheel a better option for tires? I have the Brembo 6 piston caliper and the 15 inch rotors up front so I would need to verify a set of Apex wheels would clear.

View attachment 68958
Great shot.

Go with 18" wheel if you can, your tire choices are a lot better, and there are many options to buy used slicks with the 18" wheel. I have a GT350 now so have to run 19" wheel and tire options are very limited, and extremely limited on the used slicks.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA

View attachment 68958
Do you have a high res version of this photo you could send me? This might make for a good t-shirt design (despite it missing a TMO decal on the car :) )

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Beautiful car, wow! All of our 18" Mustang wheels will clear those S550 6pot Brembos without issue. As for tire sizing, we highly suggest running 11" wide wheels for 295 and wider tires. Since you already have longer wheel studs, all you need to run 18x11" ET52 or 19x11" ET52 up front would be some 25mm spacers and roughly -3* camber. Then you're left with a fully rotatable 305 or 315 width tire setup.

If you believe you'd truly found the limit of Cup2's and want more, Hoosier A7/R7, Goodyear Supercar 3R, and the Yokohama A052 are the only options I can think of that would offer more grip. Maybe the new RT660 but cannot confirm. Then there are the slick options from Pirelli, Michelin, and Hankook which would be another step up (when in good shape).

I always suggest people choose the tire they want to run first, then choose the wheel. For example, if you want to run the Supercar 3R but have just purchased 18x11 wheels, you're out of luck as the widest 18" tire they offer is a 275/35-18 (technically it could still work).

Good timing on your question too, as i just refreshed this article with some current data: https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/18-vs-19-wheels-which-is-right-for-you/

- Cory

Beautiful car, wow! All of our 18" Mustang wheels will clear those S550 6pot Brembos without issue. As for tire sizing, we highly suggest running 11" wide wheels for 295 and wider tires. Since you already have longer wheel studs, all you need to run 18x11" ET52 or 19x11" ET52 up front would be some 25mm spacers and roughly -3* camber. Then you're left with a fully rotatable 305 or 315 width tire setup.

If you believe you'd truly found the limit of Cup2's and want more, Hoosier A7/R7, Goodyear Supercar 3R, and the Yokohama A052 are the only options I can think of that would offer more grip. Maybe the new RT660 but cannot confirm. Then there are the slick options from Pirelli, Michelin, and Hankook which would be another step up (when in good shape).

I always suggest people choose the tire they want to run first, then choose the wheel. For example, if you want to run the Supercar 3R but have just purchased 18x11 wheels, you're out of luck as the widest 18" tire they offer is a 275/35-18 (technically it could still work).

Good timing on your question too, as i just refreshed this article with some current data: https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/18-vs-19-wheels-which-is-right-for-you/

- Cory
Cory,
Thanks for all the great and useful information. Do you know if anyone has attempted to fit 315/40/18 Hoosier tires on the 18X11 Apex wheels and have it fit without rubbing? From what I understand the Hoosiers are larger dimensionally in some respects than other tires of the same size. It seems like a huge tire. If this turns out to be the case I may just run a 295/35/19 Hoosier on a current set of wheels to see if that provides improved grip.
Brad

And thanks to everyone for the compliments on what has really turned into a real experience of building it and then tracking my creation. It has turned out to be the reality of just how I pictured it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Fairfax, VA
Have you considered the DOT slick, Toyo RRs? I ran a 285/30/18 on a 18x10 with great results. Much cheaper than the R7s. Performance is close and they last longer. 295s we’re back ordered all Summer. They have bigger sizes if you go to a 18x11.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Are you planning to move to utog rating 200 or less? Take a look at these, https://g2perf.com/products/nankang-motorsport-ar-1-100tw-performance-tire. Getting good reviews and showing up at local tracks. GRM reviews them good as Nitto NT01 but less $$

They are faster than the NT01 but have half the life span. An E92 M3 customer of ours who is a very good driver with a well setup car (reliable data) picked up a consistent 1.5 seconds around a 2 minute lap switching from the NT01 to AR-1, however he gets less than half the heat cycles from them. I like the tire, but price wise it's tough. If they can stay affordable while the NT01 seems to keep increasing in price, it becomes an easier decision.

Cory,
Thanks for all the great and useful information. Do you know if anyone has attempted to fit 315/40/18 Hoosier tires on the 18X11 Apex wheels and have it fit without rubbing? From what I understand the Hoosiers are larger dimensionally in some respects than other tires of the same size. It seems like a huge tire. If this turns out to be the case I may just run a 295/35/19 Hoosier on a current set of wheels to see if that provides improved grip.
Brad

We've had one person run that 315/40-18 size on 18x11s, but it was a GT350R race car build and had some fender massaging to not rub. I'd suggest 315/30-18 R7s if you want Hoosiers, that's the go to size. 295/35-19 Hoosiers again will be quite wide for a 19x10, but will fit on there. You just won't be using all of the tire.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel