The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NHRA rule change for 2008 and newer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
if you havent already read here you go:

NHRA DRAGS: STREET LEGAL STYLE PRESENTED BY AAA (Page xiv) (5th paragraph)
Additionally Requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: NHRA rule change for 2008 and newer

Justin said:
if you havent already read here you go:

NHRA DRAGS: STREET LEGAL STYLE PRESENTED BY AAA (Page xiv) (5th paragraph)
Additionally Requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”
So if its a 2008 or newer going slower then 9.99 and 135mph,doesnt need a rollcage, AS LONG AS IT CAME AS IT DID FROM FACTORY,
So if its even got street drag radials, it doesnt meet OEM requirements?

Justin

I think its going to depend on how the rule is interpreted. The article I read they were trying to get more clarification. I am hoping so long as its got full interior and factory engine that if you have say every bolt on under the sun on it then you are good.

Tulsa, OK
Re: Re: NHRA rule change for 2008 and newer

unrealford said:
So if its a 2008 or newer going slower then 9.99 and 135mph,doesnt need a rollcage, AS LONG AS IT CAME AS IT DID FROM FACTORY,
So if its even got street drag radials, it doesnt meet OEM requirements?

I'm not sure but that is my understanding. Changing to DRs would be considered no longer stock.

Justin

I dont think a tire change would be no longer stock....so long as it is DOT tires. At some point a car is going to require a tire change.

Tulsa, OK
Yes of course a tire change will be needed at some point. However, I would think it would have to be a stock-type replacement to be legal under this ruling. Just my thoughts though...

Justin

yeah this rule change is going to take some sorting out. and I think it will depend on what track you go to as to what they deem at stock. I am hoping that so long as I dont have a power adder that I dont need one. for now my goal is 11.50 cause I dont want to have to deal with a roll bar.

TMO Supporting Vendors